Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

I did a poor job of making my point obviously:  

outside of Bo - he didn't recruit a QB (out of high school) worth his salt.   Potential?  Sure.   Did they make it?   No and yeah Stidham made it, after coming here from Baylor.

You made my point on RBs - we had backs, but they were not any better than an injured Kerryon.   Thus, if your best back is an injured back, with a leg injury, your depth is not SEC caliber.  The stars and hype is one thing, but can they play? They could not for whatever reason.    Every team has injuries.  Pettway was not solely because of injury...

I still contend we have lacked depth (SEC quality players ) at RB, QB and OL since Gus took over the team.

So, you admit it isn't a recruiting problem with QBs then. High school recruiting is all about potential. You bring in guys that have the skills to possibly be good QBs, and you coach them into those kinds of QBs. Gus had no problem getting people here with potential. It was what happened after they arrived that was a failure. 

Name a program that doesn't rhyme with SchmalaSchmama that goes more than 3 deep on ready to play running backs. Most programs have 1 or 2 really good ones that are ready to play. If you have that much depth, there's someone on your team that could be starting elsewhere, and someone is going to transfer out. 

So, I'll repeat. Aside from OL, it was NOT a recruiting problem. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If we do hire MC, I'd love to celebrate with you all, but I'm heading right over to the Oregon forum, because the entertainment level there is going to be epic. 

Their fanbase LOVES him. 

5 minutes ago, shabby said:

They fired him after he regressed. Thats not building a program. Building a program means continual progression. Thats not what hspoenned here. If he was regarded as someone that built FIU then why was he fired?

Because their administration ****** up. The next two guys that followed him were worse than he was - clearly. Its called a mistake. 

12 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Cristobal took FIU to its first two bowl games in program history. They have NEVER been very good. The fact that they became decent while he was there is a testament to MC.

People also want to forget that when he was at FIU they were on probation from actions of the previous coach, which included scholarship reductions.

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

If we do hire MC, I'd love to celebrate with you all, but I'm heading right over to the Oregon forum, because the entertainment level there is going to be epic. 

you'll get a bunch of "-sniff-, we didnt want him anyway"

Just now, metafour said:

Because their administration ****** up. The next two guys that followed him were worse than he was - clearly. Its called a mistake. 

Meta please don’t bring actual context to arguments, they don’t like it.

1 minute ago, EagleEye67 said:

you'll get a bunch of "-sniff-, we didnt want him anyway"

That’s a borderline jinx. Please stop now before you do any further damage 

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Can y’all stop arguing with Friction 

Or, ya know, people could respond to me with facts instead of half baked opinions and "alternative facts."

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

They fired him after he regressed. Thats not building a program. Building a program means continual progression. Thats not what hspoenned here. If he was regarded as someone that built FIU then why was he fired?

They fired him after he had one bad season, when he had taken them to bowl games the previous two. This isn't a Sun Belt powerhouse we're talking about here, this is a program that NEVER had success before Cristobal. I don't know the circumstances, but I suspect he had a lot of starters graduate between his fourth and fifth years there and was really young when he went downhill.

But thank you for giving me a preview of what the Auburn anti-coach crowd will look like going forward. ;) 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

Dag I like your style man. 

I’m just glad you said it . The guy has changed and switched two fold in the last two weeks. Just patiently waiting on MC.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I’m just glad you said it . The guy has changed and switched two fold in the last two weeks. Just patiently waiting on MC.

Patiently. What is that word, latin. Never heard of it. 

I will say this though if super Mario is the guy and takes the job we should let it be announced whenever he wants it announced. We are not in a position to make demands on when He is announced as the new coach. We don’t need something silly like that screwing this up.

Just now, ellitor said:

I will say this though it’s super Mario is the guy and takes the job we should let it be announced whenever he wants it announced. We are not in a position to make demands on when He is announced as the new coach. We don’t need something silly like that screwing this up.

Thank you!!!! It’s his choice to make. We need him

Update from my source (the one who told me on Friday that Gus was definitely let go): Oregon ponied up to retain Cristobal, so he's apparently a not coming to Auburn. Our folks don't want the baggage that comes with Freeze, so they're passing on him. They were seriously considering Chip Lindsey, but he's apparently going through some personal issues, so they are passing on him. Our folks were also considering Steve Sarkisian, but they're apparently passing on him as well. Lane Kiffin is under consideration and so is Mike Gundy.

Long story short, my source says that there is no real direction, and there isn't anyone already in place. Source says that this is shaping up to possibly be a bit of a mess.

Side note, my source also said that Gouge and Greene both wanted to keep Gus, but the donors flat out told them they would not contribute another dime until Gus was gone. Basically ham-stringed the president and AD to get rid of Gus.

Source also said a coach from ND is going to Vandy, so Gus is not. Said Gus is now considering Arizona State.

Just now, ellitor said:

I will say this though it’s super Mario is the guy and takes the job we should let it be announced whenever he wants it announced. We are not in a position to make demands on when He is announced as the new coach. We don’t need something silly like that screwing this up.

That's what I'm saying?! Some guy a few pages back was like "tell him to announce now or no deal". Nah if Mario Cristobal agrees to come here, he can tell the world whenever he dang well pleases. Freaking Auburn fan man. Always looking for a way to self sabotage. 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What about recruiting though? I really think we'd need to announce quickly. If we don't have a name out there on Wednesday, recruits are going to jump ship. If the coach is announced immediately, we may even sway a few people that we didn't expect our direction. 

2 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Update from my source (the one who told me on Friday that Gus was definitely let go): Oregon ponied up to retain Cristobal, so he's apparently a not coming to Auburn. Our folks don't want the baggage that comes with Freeze, so they're passing on him. They were seriously considering Chip Lindsey, but he's apparently going through some personal issues, so they are passing on him. Our folks were also considering Steve Sarkisian, but they're apparently passing on him as well. Lane Kiffin is under consideration and so is Mike Gundy.

Long story short, my source says that there is no real direction, and there isn't anyone already in place. Source says that this is shaping up to possibly be a bit of a mess.

Side note, my source also said that Gouge and Greene both wanted to keep Gus, but the donors flat out told them they would not contribute another dime until Gus was gone. Basically ham-stringed the president and AD to get rid of Gus.

Source also said a coach from ND is going to Vandy, so Gus is not. Said Gus is now considering Arizona State.

You lost me at Chip Lindsey. 

Archived