Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Please please pleaseeee tell me a tougher school/team to root for than our alma mater/ team in Auburn?!?!?! We are so close to the mountaintop of sustained success and untapped potential and greatness but yet so far away. We don't do the bare minimum try try and take that final step in to the college football elite.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

Gotta wonder if Steele remaining DC to collect state pension or whatever had anything to do with it?  Who else would the BOT care about keeping?

Garner if reports are true. Which it looks like they are

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

Please please pleaseeee tell me a tougher school/team to root for than our alma mater/ team in Auburn?!?!?! We see so close to the mountaintop of sustained success and untapped potential and greatness but yet so far away. We don't do the bare minimum try try and take that final step in to the college football elite.

I think the bot are secretly Alabama fans and want us to fail. 

Bill Clarke's "mentor's" : joey Jones.

Billy Napier's: dabo, saban, jim mcelwain, todd graham. 

Just now, Auburn2Eugene said:

I dont reckon ive ever seen you this mad. Well said

I try not to get to worked up about football. But these people are making a public mockery of Auburn University, it’s fans, and it’s football players and all they have to do to fix it is give up their f*cking power. The same power that has gotten us jack sh*t over the years. It’s time for all of us to put up or shut up. If they screw around and hire Steele or bring in Bill Clark, I’m done with them until they give us a decent coach and take their grubby hands off of the program. 

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Not when it ends with a kevin steele hire. These millionaires who have held us back for decades will feel justified and like they won.

If it forces a positive change, then it’s great.

If it all ends in Steele’s  hiring as head coach, then nothing was going to change anyway.

My hope, is that it forces change.

1 minute ago, WarTim said:

Should’ve just kept Gus. 

Gus is the one who looks the best in all of this. Laughing hysterically at all of us haters of him and I am a majjjjjjjj one saying seeeeeee look what I had to go through every day you fool's!!!!

I'm seriously done unless one of the following happens:

1. We say **** it and go get Cristobal despite his extension 

2. We realize we ****** up and go get Napier giving him control

3. We suck it up and go after Freeze or Kiffin

4. Lincoln Riley is the mystery name and we land him

I don't want creepy Brent

I don't want Bill Clark (who will be a BOT yes man if he agrees)

I don't want Neal Brown (he's so boring he's like diet Gus)

I think they're going to miss on every candidate and be "forced" to go with Steele

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

If it forces a positive change, then it’s great.

If it all ends in Steele’s  hiring as head coach, then nothing was going to change anyway.

My hope, is that it forces change.

A positive force in one coaching search cycle? Doubtful. That's only happened once and that was with bama where everything turns up roses and they stumble down the stairs ( literally. Looking at you logan young) and end up on third base. Some teams and programs get all the luck and breaks. We aren't one of them. But hell we don't even try to make our own luck.

2 minutes ago, Sthrndream said:

Throw the bag at Urban Meyer, give him control and be done! Let him bring his son in law from OSU to Auburn

We have as much of a chance with him as Bill Belichick. But by all means get your hopes up

I was upset with Auburn for letting Mario get away, but at least the embarrassment could be played off by the fact that Mario is at Oregon and has it made.

Billy Napier coaches for f*cking Louisiana in the Sun Belt. We just got turned down by a Sun Belt coach!!!!!! And we’ve played for 2 National Titles in the last decade and had a Heisman winner. It’s so mf embarrassing! 

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Gotta wonder if Steele remaining DC to collect state pension or whatever had anything to do with it?  Who else would the BOT care about keeping?

I’ve wondered this also, but why would he want to remain as DC to a coach that was forced to take him?  Does he not have an ego?  He could get a desk job for a year and still get his pension.  Doesn’t Steele get a year’s pay if he is not retained?

Something is going on that we haven’t been privy to.  It will be interesting to read the book in 20 years or so.

6 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I think the bot are secretly Alabama fans and want us to fail. 

Raymond Harbert and Jimmy Rane def are.... That's for damn sure after all of this.

If there is truth to the Steele Conspiracy and the fact that he is the temporary head coach and still employed at Auburn University, it tells you how F#cked up our situation is.

Just now, nixtosanders94 said:

For the love of all thats good and holy stop with the Urban Meyer crap. 

Yea we can’t even get Billy Napier or one of the 3 coordinators we offered. It would be criminal to even offer a guy like Urban Meyer the job.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

I’ve wondered this also, but why would he want to remain as DC to a coach that was forced to take him?  Does he not have an ego?  He could get a desk job for a year and still get his pension.  Doesn’t Steele get a year’s pay if he is not retained?

Something is going on that we haven’t been privy to.  It will be interesting to read the book in 20 years or so.

He's just a pawn and spoke in the wheel for our good ol boy booster's. They have used and abused ok Kevin this that and the other and sideways. Dude has no self respect. He just comes back and says sir may I please have some more?!

On 12/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, Zeek said:

Updated 12/19/2020

Per https://www.google.com/amp/s/auburnwire.usatoday.com/lists/auburn-coaching-search-five-candidates-kevin-steele-billy-napier-steve-sarkisian-tony-elliott-brent-venables/amp/

Being Interviewed

Brent Venables || Clemson Defensive Coordinator

Neal Brown || West Virginia Head Coach

Bill Clark || UAB Head Coach 

Names Worth Keeping in Mind:

Dan Quinn || Recently fired Atlanta Falcons Head Coach || No official interview has been set. I think the PTB were a little shocked with fan response to this name being leaked. Seems they thought fans might be excited by an NFL name but a lot of Auburn fans are Atlanta pro sport fans and hated the idea instantly and vehemently. 

Jeff Brohm || Purdue Head Coach || his name was floated out there as being likely to receive an interview. He apparently really wants the job at Auburn. However, Auburn fans haven't forgotten the absolute butt whooping Gus gave him in our bowl game. 

Eliminated or No Real Evidence of Being Pursued: 

Hugh Freeze || Liberty Head Coach || too many concerns on baggage and unwanted NCAA attention

Lane Kiffin || Ole Miss || while fans and players are interested there's no reliable evidence Auburn has or will pursue him. Character issues and a tendency to bolt have been mentioned

Mario Cristobal || Oregon Head Coach || while he hasn't put ink to paper yet he's agreed in principle. His wife has also tweeted out than you's and his quote about the contract seem telling. Still has yet to like/retweet/tweet anything about the extension which is odd considering his usual activity on the platform. The Athletic Department seemed prepared to go get him but the boosters couldn't get out of the way. 

Tom Allen || Indiana Head Coach || no real connections showing Auburn interest. Doesn't help he has a massive buyout too. 

Luke Fickell || Cincinnati Head Coach || never coached outside of Ohio despite working at 3 different schools. His contract is all the way through 2026 and there's been no buzz around him as a real candidate.

Jamey Chadwell || Coastal Carolina Head Coach || never heard his name mentioned even once. Now the Chantis are looking to give him a huge extension. 

Tony Elliott || Clemson Offensive Coordinator || declined an interview

Kevin Steele || Auburn Defensive Coordinator & Interim Head Coach

Billy Napier || Louisiana Head Coach

Steve Sarkisian || Alabama Offensive Coordinator

Down to three names from what we've been told. Hopefully Steele is still out.

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

If there is truth to the Steele Conspiracy and the fact that he is the temporary head coach and still employed at Auburn University, it tells you how F#cked up our situation is.

It's Auburn. Of course it's true.

• Zeek changed the title to Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/21)

Archived