Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Did Gogue truly impose a search committee where it otherwise might not have happened? Was he trying to legitimize or stymie the automatic Steele promotion? Either way, by not allowing a fast rubber stamp, that set the conditions that would shed sunshine on the cockroaches scurrying around in the basement? I would be optimistic that lancing this infected sore allows AU to avoid continuing gangreen. Is he a hero or goat? Sincere questions. I did not intentionally just write 80% of Paul Marshall’s next article for him. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So... are we still too good for Hugh Freeze or Bobby Petrino or anybody? Too good for Kiffin or Venables?

I'm not equating Bruce Pearl or his transgressions to those guys, but I think we had to get to a pretty desperate point in basketball to consider Bruce Pearl, because Auburn being Auburn, we like to think we're above all that way too often.

1 hour ago, Ryan Sanders said:

Who the hell fires a guy who has a $21million buyout, never had a losing record, 8 straight bowl games... and doesn't have somebody ready to go? Or keeps a good coach from coming because they want to control his coaching hires? I don't know why I expected this coaching search to be any different than the past.

I agree, but almost everyone on this forum wanted Gus out no matter what the cost. So what did they expect ? A smooth and peaceful transition I guess.😉

Just now, Zeek said:

Down to three names from what we've been told. Hopefully Steele is still out.

They are truly truly testing our mantra of anyone but Steele. Bill Clark and Neil Brown are like .002 notches above steele. We are so bruised and battered from all of this there will be no joy even if Steele isn't the next head Coach if it's Clark or neil brown.

6 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

That man Gus is just giggling, picking his nose, eating bubble gum, and wiping his a** with hundos

I have to wonder if he and Kristie weren't both relieved to be moving on. 

5 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

So... are we still too good for Hugh Freeze or Bobby Petrino or anybody?

I'm not equating Bruce Pearl or his transgressions to those guys, but I think we had to get to a pretty desperate point in basketball to consider Bruce Pearl, because Auburn being Auburn, we like to think we're above all that way too often.

It wasn't advantageous for board members to influence basketball at the time, so Auburn hired the best possible coach and said coach turned us in to a powerhouse. Make no mistake, if these people could go back and do it over again, they would try the same crap with Auburn basketball if it meant boosting their own egos. 

4 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

So... are we still too good for Hugh Freeze or Bobby Petrino or anybody?

Unlike in basketball our AD gets to actually do their job and hire who they want in basketball and baseball. What do you know?!? 2 awesome coaches we have!!! No boosters to put stipulations on who we have to go after in this "search".

1 minute ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

Clark is going to do awesome. 

Bwahaha 

I’m not good at this stuff, but if anyone has any idea how to write up a formal pledge to pull your financial and physical support of anything related to the Auburn football program until they at the very least bring in a coach and give him the he ability to pick his own staff, I’ll help where I can and will be the first mf to sign that. We can get e signatures from the everyone through alumni associations, Twitter and Message boards and send it right up to Kay f*cking Ivey. Lol

1 minute ago, AUTIGERinSC said:

Clark is going to do awesome. 

Nope. His name is even smaller than Napier's no way they give him full control.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I have to wonder if he and Kristie weren't both relieved to be moving on. 

If they weren't initially, how could they now not be?  I don't know them but everything I've heard about them is they are personally nice people.  Take the money and live a happy life and be rid of this nonsense.

I am sure there were lots of reasons (some we don't even have the imagination to consider) that the PTB and maybe even our poor AD had for finally releasing CGM and moving forward. However, to take the lightning quick action on Sunday 10 days ago with no singular choice or solid direction in mind is so STUPID and ASININE. 

It really makes you wonder how these "men" (often referred to as PTB) ever made a penny, much less survived long enough in the business world to be wealthy enough to be prime donors to a favorite University. I am to the point with them right now that I wish they would have a falling  out with Auburn and just find themselves somewhere else to flex their muscle. They repeatedly, in every case when AU coaches are for hire, make complete fools of themselves and in doing so drag Auburn, our fanbase and graduates down in the muck with them.

We truly would be better off without them and maybe we could find ourselves in a smaller Conference where their kind are not so damn influential.

Since there obviously no consensus about whom to hire, how fast to interview them and especially did not concede the fact that a relevant coaching hire was going to require AU to at least allow them to hire and manage their own Staff, THEY SHOULD NEVER HAVE MADE THE CHANGE!!

I have said this over and over through so many different AU Athletic hiring siuations--These PTB should be told to donate if they want to give to Auburn and love it for what it is to us, the everyday graduates and fanbase. However, if you want to control the official AU Administration and Office Holders in their hiring and management decisions, take your donations somewhere else and we will survive on less...Thank You Very Much!!

They had a chance this time and did the easy part absolutely right. BUT, they never get the followup and hiring part of their influence in order. They always SADLY create disarray and shame for the entire Auburn Community.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm seriously done unless one of the following happens:

1. We say **** it and go get Cristobal despite his extension 

2. We realize we ****** up and go get Napier giving him control

3. We suck it up and go after Freeze or Kiffin

4. Lincoln Riley is the mystery name and we land him

I don't want creepy Brent

I don't want Bill Clark (who will be a BOT yes man if he agrees)

I don't want Neal Brown (he's so boring he's like diet Gus)

I think they're going to miss on every candidate and be "forced" to go with Steele

Cristobal, Freeze, Kiffin, or anybody else you can name that has an ounce of credibility as a football coach or leadership, and has a desire to coach beyond the next 2-5 years, is going to come to Auburn without the ability to bring in his own people and hire and fire and hold his staff accountable. If he is told who his staff is going to be, he has no authority over them.  
Why would anyone worth hiring be willing to accept a big retirement check from Auburn knowing it could their last HC job when Auburn fires them for not meeting expectations. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Nope. His name is even smaller than Napier's no way they give him full control.

I think clark pound for pound is one of the best actual coaches in the country. What he has done at uab is nothing short of miraculous. But this is the sec. Recruiting matters way more then coaching. He is no shark. He has never ever even swam in those waters as a assistant at a cutthroat big boy job. We will continue to operate at a huge talent disadvantage and fall further and further behind.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think clark pound for pound is one of the best actual coaches in the country. What he has done at uab is nothing short of miraculous. But this is the sec. Recruiting matters way more then coaching. He is no shark. He has never ever even swam in those waters as a assistant at a cutthroat big boy job. We will continue to operate at a huge talent disadvantage and fall further and further behind.

Exactly. I'd love him here if he cut his teeth somewhere else first. He has no clue what this job entails at Auburn. Again if they sign him he's agreed to not have full control.

25 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Get ready for the Steele show featuring Mike Bobo and Rodney Garner!  Just be done with it at this point and stop the embarrassment.  Should have held Gus one more season to see if he could make his magic.  Now next season will be a rebuilding one with the 3rd OC in 3 years.

Yep, but they didn't listen.  NCAA has basically said Covid year is a do over season. For Auburn it's a start over season.

Just now, WarTim said:

Should’ve just kept Gus. 

No. His time was up. Recruiting was terrible even before he left. We are going down. There was a good article on ESPN on why he was fired. 
Our problem is leadership. Above him. 

Just now, Zeek said:

Exactly. I'd love him here if he cut his teeth somewhere else first. He has no clue what this job entails at Auburn. Again if they sign him he's agreed to not have full control.

Exactly. He would be neutered and have his hand tied behind his back from the start. You are 💯 correct.

1 minute ago, autan said:

Yep, but they didn't listen.  NCAA has basically said Covid year is a do over season. For Auburn it's a start over season.

The BOT have ****** Auburn to the point there about undo everything Dye/Jordan and others built.

Archived