Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, keesler said:

Ehh, when a Sunbelt coach at Louisiana turns down a HC offer from Auburn that's a pretty brutal gut punch by my estimation.  When Auburn has to settle for UAB's HC there's another punch in the gut.  

Exactly. This IS the bottom. There is no going down from here.

1 minute ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

Valid point. I don't like the fact that they would be pushed on him, but they are historically decent recruiters, right? 

If recruiting is our biggest issue with Clark (outside of the fact that he's like the 5th best option we went after), shouldn't that mitigate some of the concern? 

Why would you want to keep traitors on your staff? 

Just now, keesler said:

Ehh, when a Sunbelt coach at Louisiana turns down a HC offer from Auburn that's a pretty brutal gut punch by my estimation.  When Auburn has to settle for UAB's HC there's another punch in the gut.  

It’s evidently not a big gut punch to the PTB, which is where our problems lie at the moment. I fear it’s going to have to get horrendously bad from a financial standpoint for any real change to be made

I'm a UCF graduate and I'd be disappointed if they hired Bill Clark 

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

As far as player development goes, Clark is light years ahead of Gus.

You know more about him than I do.  I've never watched a UAB football game in it's entirety in my life. :dunno:

Hugh Freeze is sounding like a pretty good choice right about now....AMIRIGHT!?!?!?

LOL!

Oh boy, I am NOT going to miss THIS!

Auburn has become a big joke since all the fat cats who's really running show behind the scenes. Here's my UPDATED list. Steve Sarkisian, Brent Venables, Luke Fickell, Hugh Freeze, Joe Brady, Lane Kiffin.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Again I ask this question because I think it's potentially intriguing:

Does Clark hate Bama more than anyone here now?  It was Bama and their board that killed UAB football right when he took over.  There's legitimate motivation on his end to despise Tuscaloosa.

No, and that comes from a player on UAB's team.  I know the kid well, and assisted them with getting to UAB.  The kid chose UAB over a bunch of schools, including some SEC schools, because he loves Clark.  

I know Clark was a big bammer, he isn't anymore.  Still shouldn't be our next coach regardless.

27 minutes ago, TD1 said:

This is so hard to watch/read about the current state of our program. The PTB have really screwed us and the team over....smh

But, but, but everybody got the main thing the wanted.  

Why did we have to **** up Billy Napier? I was so happy. We all were. 

8 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Question for long time fans

Mario Napier Sark allegedly said no

Someone decided Lane and Freeze too much baggage

No one wants Steele Clark and Brown

Who are left as candidates??

The problem is the first guys were forced to say no and the second guys were never even contacted. If Bill Clark was truly the best candidate that Auburn COULD hire no one would be mad. 

Just now, Zeek said:

Why did we have to **** up Billy Napier? I was so happy. We all were. 

I think they intended to all along. They knew he wouldn't go along with their bs. Really, it was not much more than a "pretend" interview.

2 minutes ago, creed said:

Yes, Gus needed to go but AUburn could’ve/should’ve hired a good coach. 

4 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

Exactly. This IS the bottom. There is no going down from here.

My point is, this evidently is not a big enough gut punch to the PTB. I think the only thing that would cause change is for things to get really bad financially in the coming seasons. If the PTB is willing to let a “sun belt” coach walk because he wanted autonomy, then it really didn’t bother them that much and that’s scary.

1 minute ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

The problem is the first guys were forced to say no and the second guys were never even contacted. If Bill Clark was truly the best candidate that Auburn COULD hire no one would be mad. 

Venables is my dream hire but no way in hell it happens

Only way to fight this is for us to pull donations and refuse to go to games until true change at the top is made. 

3 minutes ago, creed said:

I’m tired of this trash take. Gus being fired is not the problem and never will be. What Auburn wanted was a BETTER coach and they absolutely could have had that. These guys aren’t turning down Auburn. They are turning down the stipulations the PTB are placing them under. 

Archived