Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Been camping since Thursday.   Forgive me for not reading the last 90 PAGES!  

I am guessing we missed on MC because oregon got into the championship game and we under bid.

I presume the money guys compromised on the Steele plan and said he has to stay if we offer to someone else and think I saw a hint of that on another page.

Is this true?

Nobody is gonna take the deal we made Terry Bowden eat coming from Sanford...

where are we now?  

Please tell me we are not this 'ate up'.

Maybe we could convince Seth Latrell to take our money.

I really am disappointed in Auburn:  I thought we had joined the real world of big time college athletics.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, around4ever said:

No thank you.   And why would he leave PSU?  

Penn State is currently in downward spiral

all he said was he looks for Franklins name to pop up he doesnt expect him to get an offer, he is saying you'll possibly hear the Franklin interviewed and that will be that, he said the same thing about Muschamp last week he doesnt expect it to go further than an interview

11 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

Funny thing...when Clark goes on his rant about the Jelly of the Month Club bonus, that's about how we should all feel as fans right now lol.

Where is Cousin Eddie when you need him?

1 minute ago, KnightTiger said:

all he said was he looks for Franklins name to pop up he doesnt expect him to get an offer, he is saying you'll possibly hear the Franklin interviewed and that will be that, he said the same thing about Muschamp last week he doesnt expect it to go further than an interview

So why bring it up then? He just asks for it sometimes lol 

1 minute ago, KnightTiger said:

This is idiotic. Why waste time interviewing people that they aren't interested in? And people listen and watch this guy's posts, get behind it, pump it up, then the media runs with it because they want to be firs in reporting something, only for it to have never happened in the first place. 

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I am guessing we missed on MC because oregon got into the championship game and we under bid.

I presume the money guys compromised on the Steele plan and said he has to stay if we offer to someone else and think I saw a hint of that on another page.

Is this true?

where are we now?  

I really am disappointed in Auburn:  I thought we had joined the real world of big time college athletics.

Pole Vault Fail by nin-mario64 on DeviantArt

Is there a summary of where we are?  There have been 11 or 12 names mentioned that were sure fire can't miss candidates and now where are we against that list?  Seems like we're now looking at Arkansas Middle School coaches now since we think they will accept some of the existing staff.

If the Boosters want to do anything to help, they will pony up the money to offer Urban Meyer $15 mil/year. That’s the only way for us to save face in this whole debacle.

1 minute ago, japantiger said:

Is there a summary of where we are?  There have been 11 or 12 names mentioned that were sure fire can't miss candidates and now where are we against that list?  Seems like we're now looking at Arkansas Middle School coaches now since we think they will accept some of the existing staff.

No one really knows.  If someone does, they are being cryptic.  

So help me I’ll turn this bus around!

DF8FFEE2-3E14-4DC2-860C-F999C0FF218B.jpeg

If I’m throwing poo at the wall to see what sticks I’m going to Eli Drink at Mizzou, Coastal Carolina’s coach, Kiffin, or talking to Phil Lingo or Kendall Briles as OCs for Steele.  Gotta veto Bobo.  Only Bobo I want to hear about is on Howard Stern.

2 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Fwiw I’m available, my Auburn dynasty in NCAA 14 is on a 68 game win streak 

12 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Is this true?

where are we now?  

Basically, nobody really knows anything at this point. But there are two theories:

1. We planned to replace Gus with Cristobal, and the plan fell through, possibly because we wanted to announce before early signing day. Either way, he signed an extension.

2. There was a long standing plan to oust Gus and replace him with Steele. This fell through because the fans almost rioted over the rumor that Steele was a legitimate candidate.

Regardless, it seems as though we are now pursuing candidates other than our original plan, and many of them are pulling their names out of consideration. So far, Napier, Freeze, Venables, Elliot, and Sarkesian have said they aren’t interested. Bill Clark from UAB is currently believed to be the leading candidate. That said, the lead name seems to change about every 12 hours or so. This whole thing is a mess, and it’s really unclear what the people in power are doing.

Just now, ClaytonAU said:

Fwiw I’m available, my Auburn dynasty in NCAA 14 is on a 68 game win streak 

Interview question number one: are you willing to keep Steele on staff? If not, don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya. 

25 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Are you serious. After everything we’ve been through today you’d pass on James Franklin? You take that back!!!!

Oh, he thought you meant Tony Franklin.  😂

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Basically, nobody really knows anything at this point. But there are two theories:

1. We planned to replace Gus with Cristobal, and the plan fell through, possibly because we wanted to announce before early signing day. Either way, he signed an extension.

2. There was a long standing plan to oust Gus and replace him with Steele. This fell through because the fans almost rioted over the rumor that Steele was a legitimate candidate.

Regardless, it seems as though we are now pursuing candidates other than our original plan, and many of them are pulling their names out of consideration. So far, Napier, Freeze, Venables, Elliot, and Sarkesian have said they aren’t interested. Bill Clark from UAB is currently believed to be the leading candidate.

Thanks for the update.  Is it true that the Board has been requiring retaining existing staff and that is why Napier (for example) didn't take the job?

Archived