Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

At this rate, we need Jack Lengyel To come resurrect our program.  

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, shabby said:

So if Clarke turned us down for the same reason as everyone else.... an inability to hire his staff then how is this a sign that Greene has taking control of the situation. Sounds like the same old

my guess its happened after. 

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You ever actually interviewed people for jobs?  An official typed out, signable offer is typically only made if you know the guy is going to accept.

Yes but usually if he removes his name from being a candidate its because he knows he isnt offered to begin with.. if Auburn wanted him they would have him signed .. he wanted the job but Auburn passed

Just now, auburnfaithful72 said:

Yes but usually if he removes his name from being a candidate its because he knows he isnt offered to begin with.. if Auburn wanted him they would have him sighned .. he wanted the job but Auburn passed

I feel that's stretching. However, RIR made a comment earlier that made it sound like AU wasn't interested in Napier or Clark. 

Yes but usually if he removes his name from being a candidate its because he knows he isnt offered to begin with.. if Auburn wanted him they would have him sighned .. he wanted the job but Auburn passed

He wanted full autonomy, auburn brass said no. Typical dealbreaker that’s becoming the norm amongst every candidate.

Just now, Browning4AU said:

I feel that's stretching. However, RIR made a comment earlier that made it sound like AU wasn't interested in Napier or Clark. 

I mean he said they were told to move on, both reports by sports writers were that it was over staff hires. So of course when they said they didn’t want to be tied down to keeping Steele and garner they were told to “move on”

I wonder if the amount of the buyouts (CGM + staff) is the bargaining chip that the ‘old guard’ has that is keeping the ‘new guard’ and AG from acting on their own.  Maybe it’s a huge financial stretch for them to do it on their own.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

I mean he said they were told to move on, both reports by sports writers were that it was over staff hires. So of course when they said they didn’t want to be tied down to keeping Steele and garner they were told to “move on”

Those "sports writers" have proven they don't know what's going on. Every time they report something it's well after it's said and harped on here or the Rant. 

44 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

The trick is to always make them Auburn Alabama natives, doesn’t work in real life but it always works in the games 😂

Even better, make them a punter and no one will want them. Then change their position to rb

2 minutes ago, AUGrad1996 said:

Cole Cubelic just was on ESPN Radio he isn't a happy camper that AU botched the Napier thing today.

good. no one is. The BOT needs to be cleaned as well. 

3 minutes ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

Yes but usually if he removes his name from being a candidate its because he knows he isnt offered to begin with.. if Auburn wanted him they would have him signed .. he wanted the job but Auburn passed

Or, and stay with me here, he heard things from the hiring team that made him rethink the job.  I've done it.  Been interviewed, asked some key questions, got answers that made me pause about working there, and pulled my name out.  

22 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I guess I look at this and Auburn could stretch it out another week and talk to everyone they want.  Someone new turns Auburn down everyday until Auburn is forced to hire Steele.  This is actually best case for Steele because he comes back as the hero instead of the enemy.

Steele is never going to be the hero in this. 

Just more speculation.. no proof.. show me proof

Basically multiple verified sports writer accounts have said this, but of Course your “proof” is probably for me to teleport to the room and video what happened.

1 minute ago, Browning4AU said:

Those "sports writers" have proven they don't know what's going on. Every time they report something it's well after it's said and harped on here or the Rant. 

Considering JGT said it and he is usually spot on, I tend to believe what he says. Also considering multiple people in the know are echoing the same sentiments. But some people don’t want to believe anything if it reflects badly on auburn and that’s fine too

Just more speculation.. no proof.. show me proof

The silence by the search committee, BoT, AD...anyone to do with AU. Plenty of proof. If all of this is lies, why do they sit back and let AU look like the idiots...over, and over and over. Not one word from any of them.

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

So if Clarke turned us down for the same reason as everyone else.... an inability to hire his staff then how is this a sign that Greene has taking control of the situation. Sounds like the same old

Probably happened before Greene took over. In fact, reading between the lines, the repeated failures of the PTB (including Clark) is presumably what gave Greene the ability to take over.

1 minute ago, boisnumber1 said:

The silence by the search committee, BoT, AD...anyone to do with AU. Plenty of proof. If all of this is lies, why do they sit back and let AU look like the idiots...over, and over and over. Not one word from any of them.

Yeah that’s my problem. The deafening silence. 

Just now, boisnumber1 said:

They will not  comment on unfounded stories.. Lord it is never ending.. They will comment when the deal is done

On 12/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, Zeek said:

Being Considered:

Neal Brown (WVU HC) - supposedly interviewed but haven't heard a single update 

Brent Venables - no official word lots of silence

Out

Mario Cristobal (OR HC) - PAC12 delayed talks, Oregon rushed an extension, Allen Greene was ready to fight but the boosters were not.

Lane Kiffin (OM OC) - never considered due to character issues and tendency to leave programs. Mentioned as a favorite among players. 

Hugh Freeze (LIB HC) - considered Rane's original #1 but immediately deemed too risky. 

Tony Elliott (CL OC) - never interviewed. Either he knew Auburn didn't consider him a real candidate or there may have been bad blood with when Auburn leaked his interview (right before their conference championship) 

Steve Sarkisian (AL OC) - stated his terms and lost almost all momentum. Wanted Gus money, 5 years, 75% buyout. I'm told Auburn scoffed at the buyout and Sark scoffed at the lack of autonomy (a theme).

Billy Napier (LA HC) - considered favorite at one point, seemed ready to sign, all signs pointed to an announcement. Declined when told he didn't have autonomy. 

Kevin Steele (AU DC) - the word is Allen Greene hasn't let him interview. Regardless, he's dropped out for now... still seems to be working towards staying as a DC 

Bill Clark (UAB HC) - became defacto leading candidate when there was essentially no one else. Interviewed really well. Wasn't given autonomy either and dipped.

*FWIW Greene has reportedly taken over the search. No clue how much he controls and if he can finally offer autonomy*

I think either we get a whole new batch of candidates or we revisit Cristobal & Napier with better offers. Kiffin and Freeze may get some consideration if the struggles continue. None of the above names will come without autonomy. 

Random list of people we might consider based purely off the top of my head: 

Fickell, Huepel, Harsin, and Chadwell come to mind from the G5 teams. 

Updated with Recap

Archived