Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

So just an open question here? Do you think Pearl would be interested in moonlighting the football HC position ? 🤔    😂🤣😂 I mean our options are running out at this point. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Auburn's priority is to save money and go cheap here:  Pay Gus, but save money by making the new guy keep the defensive staff.  The PTB love Steele and feel it is a win-win.  This is my guess.  

Their selling pitch:  "help us save a buck, the defensive staff is intact (adopt them) and get the football complex started." 

This is not the era of Terry Bowden - too much money at stake and careers are hard to resurrect - why would a successful coach take that deal?

Gonna  have to find a desperate coach.  Gouge needs to step in, kick out the money people (piss them off) and let A Greene do his job.  

Put Greene on a plane and tell him not to return without a coach - and give him a short list.

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Considering JGT said it and he is usually spot on, I tend to believe what he says. Also considering multiple people in the know are echoing the same sentiments. But some people don’t want to believe anything if it reflects badly on auburn and that’s fine too

I'm certainly not happy with the way this was handled. Wanted Malzahn out for 2 or 3 years now...maybe longer. JGT more times than not has great info. I just feel like literally no one can be so stupid to fire Malzahn with Bill Clark in mind. 

Just now, auburnfaithful72 said:

They will not  comment on unfounded stories.. Lord it is never ending.. They will comment when the deal is done

Former and current players are mocking them and Twitter has mobilized against them. There needs to be some pr work sooner than later.

12 minutes ago, shabby said:

So if Clarke turned us down for the same reason as everyone else.... an inability to hire his staff then how is this a sign that Greene has taking control of the situation. Sounds like the same old

I’m wondering if Clark turning us down finally got Gouge to wake up and give the keys to our AD.

11 minutes ago, AUGrad1996 said:

Cole Cubelic just was on ESPN Radio he isn't a happy camper that AU botched the Napier thing today.

Has Cole ever been a happy camper? Asking for a friend. 

Just now, Browning4AU said:

I'm certainly not happy with the way this was handled. Wanted Malzahn out for 2 or 3 years now...maybe longer. JGT more times than not has great info. I just feel like literally no one can be so stupid to fire Malzahn with Bill Clark in mind. 

Well when you drag your feet thinking you’re gonna promote Steele and then see the potential backlash then you basically only interview smaller school, potentially controllable people, and then the reason we get turned down is the same every time (staff hires) I mean it’s not hard to see

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

Their selling pitch:  "help us save a buck, the defensive staff is intact (adopt them) and get the football complex started." 

Wanna know how they could've done that? 

Kept Gus. 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Well when you drag your feet thinking you’re gonna promote Steele and then see the potential backlash then you basically only interview smaller school, potentially controllable people, and then the reason we get turned down is the same every time (staff hires) I mean it’s not hard to see

Then why the delay? Why let it fester? They could've just named him HC on GM's exit. They can't be so stupid to not know there would be backlash. 

7 minutes ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

They will not  comment on unfounded stories.. Lord it is never ending.. They will comment when the deal is done

🤣🤣🤣 what a lame response. There wouldn't unfounded stories if they would have handled it to start with, genius. They could have shut that up from the getgo. Btw, where's your proof of the silliness you claim? Is losing the current players, former players, alumni and fanbase all part of their great plan?

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Former and current players are mocking them and Twitter has mobilized against them. There needs to be some pr work sooner than later.

Yep.  I think a big part of all this is the older folks, and yes that is what these people in the PTB and committee are, didn't realize the change that social media has made to the world.  In the old days these things could be hidden or it might take a long time to get out and by the time it did it was water under the bridge.  Right now their reputations are in ruin.  I get that a lot of these guys don't typically back down from anything and it might make them feel they looked bad to do so.  But if they push a Steele or some inferior coach (who has to keep Steele) through, the emasculation they are going to take publicly is going to be unlike they can imagine.  

I have to just circle back to that the plan really was to pay $21MM to Gus, promote Kevin Steele, and they honestly thought that would sit just fine.

1 minute ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

Just don't count Lane out is all I am saying.. May not happen but don't count him out yet..

I think at this point we might can count out everybody except maybe the guy that mows the field . I would say the odds were better at winning the lottery on back to back drawings, than it is to screw up a coaching search as bad has AU has. Just saying.

Just now, Browning4AU said:

Then why the delay? Why let it fester? They could've just named him HC on GM's exit. They can't be so stupid to not know there would be backlash. 

Evidently they didn’t have enough self awareness to realize that. According to what people have said. The fact that a big name like a lane, fickell, etc hasn’t interviewed is disturbing. Now if Greene has more control as stated earlier I have a little more confidence but as long as the PTB is setting stipulations I am worrisome

2 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like a complete s*** show.  

Yup and I think I've posted on 90% of the pages in this s*** show thread lol

5 minutes ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

Not sure what you are smoking, but it must be good stuff. 

You are right that all of this is based on rumors. But the same rumors are coming from a lot of different sources, and the players are tweeting stuff that seems to align with those rumors. 

It is theoretically possible that all this is a smoke screen. It is much much more likely that the people in power have messed this search up. 

3 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

I have to disagree with the bolded.  I don't think they ever expected this kind of resistance to Steele, as evidenced by lack of any "Plan B".

Archived