Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

My biggest disappointment today is the loss of the term “Nap Time”. Headlines would have written themselves.

Auburn puts Kirby in Nap Time.

Saban wakes grumpy from Nap Time

Mullen needs a change after Nap Time.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Win4AU said:

My biggest disappointment today is the loss of the term “Nap Time”. Headlines would have written themselves.

Auburn puts Kirby in Nap Time.

Saban wakes grumpy from Nap Time

Mullen needs a change after Nap Time.

Maybe even steal Enter Sandman from VT

8 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Did I say that that part was a bad thing? I just said it was a parallel. I honestly can't remember that happening anywhere else other than UT. We deserve better than Steele and he needs to be shown the door, and I am glad RiR did what he did, and glad that our voices were heard.

It'll happen more and more in the social media era. Old money types don't understand it, and they'll learn the hard way. The voiceless have voices now, and information leaks and goes viral in an instant. Harder and harder to get away with chicanery at something as public and popular as AU football.

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I don’t think you completely get what folks like me have been arguing. I was probably the biggest “don’t fire Gus” person on here. It wasn’t because I thought he was doing a good job. I thought he was underperforming slightly, losing 1-2 games a year he shouldnt lose. I was against him being fired because I didn’t see us making a better hire. Auburn just doesn’t have what it takes to hire an elite guy, as this coaching search has kind of shown. 

I get what you are saying but Auburn does have the guy, at least in my mind with Greene, if they would just let him do his job.

4 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

1. Not gloating. I was Gus-ambivalent. I was fine with him here or gone, but if he was gone, wanted it to be done deliberately.

2. I don't understand this contention of us not knowing the BOT crap...it's been that way since the 1980s. It's just the way it is. Hence, #1. I figured we'd screw it up. In fact, I don't know why seeing us screw up the last several hires made people think that "this time, it's going to be different!" We're a pretty codependent lot, apparently.

3. I do not think there is anyone left that thought that Gus hadn't run his course this year, or at any point in the last 4 years. But hope is not a strategy, and "anybody but Gus" isn't a coaching search. This is like the worst monkey's paw wish I've ever thought of.

Oh boy a list. First off, let me clarify I like you Auc. Clear that up.

1. Same. I was speaking more generally. Twitter has been filled with Gus stans crying all the "miss me yet" s***. It's like an ex... yeah finding a new girl isn't going well but it doesn't make me miss the ex.

Unfortunately, it was deliberate but with a dumb plan to use Steele which I firmly believe fans prevented.

2. To be fair it's 8 years between hires. I was 19 last time and I'm 27 now. That's a long time with a lot of life in between. Nothing wrong with hoping it will go better. The part we didn't know is this was all a scheme and they'd even consider Steele. The Steele stuff has thrown the entire narrative off. No Steele push and we probably already have Cristobal.

Not choosing your own staff is wild. We've kind of seen this before but not to this degree. I vaguely remember when it happened with Smart but a lot of people thought he wanted more control than a coach should have (including outside factors not just staff decisions). Anyways, I knew it would be bad but we're the only major job open with 4-5 legit candidates. It SHOULDN'T have been hard. Even for us.

3. Oh they exist unfortunately. This board has come around but the worse this search gets the more flip floppers appear. We can't dictate the hiring process but there are/were good enough options it should have happened already. 

2 minutes ago, PikesEagle said:

I get what you are saying but Auburn does have the guy, at least in my mind with Greene, if they would just let him do his job.

But they haven’t let him do his job. That’s the whole point. 

7 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I don’t think you completely get what folks like me have been arguing. I was probably the biggest “don’t fire Gus” person on here. It wasn’t because I thought he was doing a good job. I thought he was underperforming slightly, losing 1-2 games a year he shouldnt lose. I was against him being fired because I didn’t see us making a better hire. Auburn just doesn’t have what it takes to hire an elite guy, as this coaching search has kind of shown. 

I think Auburn has what it takes. Our BOT and the structure we've allowed to stay in place do not. 

Get rid of mega boosters and raise the same money from more smaller boosters. Or make it clear money doesn't equal influence and any attempt to do so ends the "access".

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think Auburn has what it takes. Our BOT and the structure we've allowed to stay in place do not. 

Get rid of mega boosters and raise the same money from more smaller boosters. Or make it clear money doesn't equal influence and any attempt to do so ends the "access".

Until the money and influence are removed from the program, it’s never going to happen.

Just now, AUFriction said:

Until the money and influence are removed from the program, it’s never going to happen.

I will take the burden of their money and influence for the sake of Auburn. Willing to bare that cross.

Good night. I'm driving up to Aubhrn for the basketball game tomorrow. 

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

1. Same. I was speaking more generally. Twitter has been filled with Gus stans crying all the "miss me yet" s***. It's like an ex... yeah finding a new girl isn't going well but it doesn't make me miss the ex.

Unfortunately, it was deliberate but with a dumb plan to use Steele which I firmly believe fans prevented.

2. To be fair it's 8 years between hires. I was 19 last time and I'm 27 now. That's a long time with a lot of life in between. Nothing wrong with hoping it will go better. The part we didn't know is this was all a scheme and they'd even consider Steele. The Steele stuff has thrown the entire narrative off. No Steele push and we probably already have Cristobal.

Not choosing your own staff is wild. We've kind of seen this before but not to this degree. I vaguely remember when it happened with Smart but a lot of people thought he wanted more control than a coach should have (including outside factors not just staff decisions). Anyways, I knew it would be bad but we're the only major job open with 4-5 legit candidates. It SHOULDN'T have been hard. Even for us.

3. Oh they exist unfortunately. This board has come around but the worse this search gets the more flip floppers appear. We can't dictate the hiring process but there are/were good enough options it should have happened already. 

I am out of reactions. So - a thumbs up and I like you too, Zeek.

One moment I'm ready to just let the PTB have their Kevin Steele and let them lie in the bed they made (as well as scheduling some conversion therapy in prep for the Basketball fan transition...)

But suddenly there's hope that AD Allen Green can bring us a Christmas Miracle? Truly this is the Auburn way...

So Pittman was likeArkansas's 472nd choice. OM scores Kiffin. And State pulls in Leach. And Auburn's top 3 choices say kiss my ass. If Auburn was ever being Auburn, this last week has been it.

1 hour ago, SumterAubie said:

So Arkansas hires their choice in Pittman. OM scores Kiffin. And State pulls in Leach. And Auburn's top 3 choices say kiss my ass. If Auburn was ever being Auburn, this last week has been it.

LoL

Pittman was like their 472nd choice. He was no where near the top of their list. 

As much of a joke as this coaching search has been, Arkansas's search was worse

20 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

LoL

Pittman was like their 472nd choice. He was no where near the top of their list. 

As much of a joke as this coaching search has been, Arkansas's search was worse

Ironically, there top choice was probably Gus. 

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Crazy how Bobby Lowder hasn't changed much in 16 years since Jetgate ha.

6 hours ago, Auburn Tiger said:

I had the same thought. Like, what if all this is just a smokescreen, and we have already hired the coach. Maybe we are all melting down for no reason. Maybe the BoT are about to deliver a fantastic Christmas gift. I know that’s wishful thinking, but who knows?

I hope you are right, I'll buy my lottery ticket now. 

1 hour ago, CMRVHS said:

I hope you are right, I'll buy my lottery ticket now. 

Don’t base it on me. I did have an inside source tell me this was going to be a cluster F. I’m just thinking wishfully here. Haha. 

10 hours ago, around4ever said:

No thank you.   And why would he leave PSU?  

Do not think he would. Jboy had originally said his name would be mentioned which to me is already weird enough. He then sent out another cryptic tweet after that. 🤷‍♀️. I just hope Allen Greene is running this show now and he is able to start clean. Getting turned down by Napier and Clark should have opened the eyes of the PTB. 

Getting turned down by Napier and Clark should have opened the eyes of the PTB. 

If true, there are crack houses run better then this

Archived