Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Here is the thing: I’m glad Bill Clark turned Auburn down. I’m glad Billy Napier turned Auburn down. I’m glad people are outright refusing interviews. 

This is a complete PR disaster for the university, and I hate the players are having to deal with it at all. However, the trade off of that is *hopefully* this is a big, huge FU to the meddling PTB. These guys are full of nothing but false confidence and ignorant arrogance. It’s obvious that they believe the prestige of Auburn will sell itself and that any coach would put up with their BS because they’re just “happy to be here.” That’s the way it’s worked in the past and that’s the way it will continue to work unless something changes. Bill Clark turning us down might be that change, who knows. Auburn is a great program but it is not better than the other top programs. In fact it ain’t even even. It could be though. 

I rather not have a season than cave into Kevin Steele being Auburn’s next head coach. As soon as the reports came out about him undermining Gus the university should have come out and fired him. If that means pulling from the bowl game who give a ****. Get his old conniving *** away from our football team. I pray the rumors about AG running this show now are true and I hope he hasn’t been running it the whole time. Maybe something new will come. 

Until then I hope the Bill Clark’s and Billy Napier’s turn us down every time.  

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Here is the thing: I’m glad Bill Clark turned Auburn down. I’m glad Billy Napier turned Auburn down. I’m glad people are outright refusing interviews. 

This is a complete PR disaster for the university, and I hate the players are having to deal with it at all. However, the trade off of that is *hopefully* this is a big, huge FU to the meddling PTB. These guys are full of nothing but false confidence and ignorant arrogance. It’s obvious that they believe the prestige of Auburn will sell itself and that any coach would put up with their BS because they’re just “happy to be here.” That’s the way it’s worked in the past and that’s the way it will continue to work unless something changes. Bill Clark turning us down might be that change, who knows. Auburn is a great program but it is not better than the other top programs. In fact it ain’t even even. It could be though. 

I rather not have a season than cave into Kevin Steele being Auburn’s next head coach. As soon as the reports came out about him undermining Gus the university should have come out and fired him. If that means pulling from the bowl game who give a ****. Get his old conniving *** away from our football team. I pray the rumors about AG running this show now are true and I hope he hasn’t been running it the whole time. Maybe something new will come. 

Until then I hope the Bill Clark’s and Billy Napier’s turn us down every time.  

Well said. At some point, these money guys have to realize that they are the problem. Their crap is now out in the open. They can either be irrelevant, or be hated.

6 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Actually the way it's worked in the past isn't much different. Only Tuberville had anything resembling a respectable reputation as a head coach coming in here in recent history. Bowden was on no one's radar at Samford. Chizik was 5-19 and growing unpopular at Iowa St. Gus Malzahn had held one Sunbelt job. We pulled Dye out of Wyoming. 

The PTB don't care. What they KNOW is that they'll put 70K plus in Jordan Hare no matter who is head coach. They'll get donations from those who want access because they'll have the leverage to give it. If we sink back to the level of a Mississippi State, we have a healthy portion of our fanbase who still love being a perpetual underdog. It's sad, but that's Auburn. 

I think it's good this is happening, some of you are delusional, it's good to see that we are a joke of a program right now

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I think it's good this is happening, some of you are delusional, it's good to see that we are a joke of a program right now

Kinda' think I agree, if I am reading you right....Sunlight removes darkness? ...Get it out in the open and show just how bad it is?

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well I don’t see much delusion. In reading I think most fans on here realize that we are a sh** show and need changes within the entire football structure and hiring process. 

5 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Actually the way it's worked in the past isn't much different. Only Tuberville had anything resembling a respectable reputation as a head coach coming in here in recent history. Bowden was on no one's radar at Samford. Chizik was 5-19 and growing unpopular at Iowa St. Gus Malzahn had held one Sunbelt job. We pulled Dye out of Wyoming. 

The PTB don't care. What they KNOW is that they'll put 70K plus in Jordan Hare no matter who is head coach. They'll get donations from those who want access because they'll have the leverage to give it. If we sink back to the level of a Mississippi State, we have a healthy portion of our fanbase who still love being a perpetual underdog. It's sad, but that's Auburn. 

That’s what I’m saying. The only coaches we’ve ever had (in recent years) are the ones who agreed to these **** terms and conditions they require candidates to work under. Dye was an anomaly of the group. 

Unforunately you’re right. Auburn fans will still pack the stands and send their money up the ladder when they do. However I think it’s making a bigger impact right now than it ever has in the past. If they were truly smart businessmen they would see how much money they get through support of this university when fans are apathic and dream about how much money there would be to make if they actually took their hands off the program and allowed AG to do his job and hire a HR candidate. You had folks pouring money into the program when you hired Gus Malzahn. Imagine what they’d do if you hired an Urban Meyer type. The most frustrating part about it all is that Auburn is one step away from elite and these idiots can not get out of the way so that Auburn University can become great.

Get out of the way—>Get the coach—> Get the recruits—> Get the wins—> Get the money—> Get the facilities—> Get more recruits—> Get more wins—> Get more money. 

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

You gotta define offered.

He was definitely the guy by default at one point. None of these offers have felt serious and it's weird they're withdrawing so fast. Why not wait and negotiate? 

Zeek, you know the answer, when the school won't give you autonomy to run the program the way you know it needs to be run to have your best chance of success then you say, thanks but no thanks. 

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol tell em how you really feel Cole 

So we

have zero candidates besides Steele it seems . It is hard for me to imagine us getting some of these coaches to do a 180 but money and buy out protection talks. Now we Will have to overspend since we are in desperation mode.

10 hours ago, dilligas said:

Search Committee Meeting Minutes 12/21/2020

Ok let’s summarize where we’re at:

M Cristobal -  out

Billy Napier - out

Steve Sarkisian - out

Tony Elliott - out

Brent Venables -out

Kevin Steele - out (or is he?)

Bill Clark - out

Neal Brown - ?

Hugh Freeze - We don’t want him, too much baggage 

Lane Kiffin - We don’t want him, he’ll want authority to make coaching decisions

Next Steps:
Who are the coaches at South Alabama, Jacksonville State and Stamford?  We are assuming Chip Lindsey at Troy is out.  If none of those candidates work out we will look at Alabama State and Alabama A&M next.

Hope this isn't true. Remember, Alabama was a mess during the time they hired Saban. He said no at least once and later came to terms. 

10 hours ago, auburnfaithful72 said:

Auburn was not very impressed with Clark or Napier at all.. Auburn wants a bigger fish.. be patient .. we are trying to get a winner

This just is not true. Almost everyone was excited about Napier.

4 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

This just is not true. Almost everyone was excited about Napier.

In fairness to his weird takes I think in this case he/she is referring to the so called search committee. 

So here’s what Allen Greene is supposed to be doing now with each of the candidates who refused interview or said not to bother drafting an offer. “ What do I have to do to put you in this top football program? You may hate it now. But just wait til you drive it.”

5564BF1D-E0AC-4D2D-8864-4960FBDF859E.gif

3 minutes ago, AUx said:

So here’s what Allen Greene is supposed to be doing now with each of the candidates who refused interview or said not to bother drafting an offer. “ What do I have to do to put you in this top football program? You may hate it now. But just wait til you drive it.”

5564BF1D-E0AC-4D2D-8864-4960FBDF859E.gif

You can press the pedals and roll the windows up and down.  You can even choose the radio station.  But someone else will be steering.

7 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

In fairness to his weird takes I think in this case he/she is referring to the so called search committee. 

I don’t know how they expected a bigger fish when they won’t do the basics such as give full autonomy . People try to say that wasn’t true with Kirby smart but now I can see that was very much true. 

58 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

when do we interview Samford head coach Chris Hatcher

Right after we interview Coach Fran. 

1 hour ago, KnightTiger said:

when do we interview Samford head coach Chris Hatcher

Right before we interview the Hoover HS coach.

Archived