Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Are we in a holding pattern for a while waiting on bowl games to wrap up?   It would seem that we might not have the hourly updates that seemed to be happening yesterday.  

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Ryan Sanders said:

Most people don't become that rich by throwing away money like that. But I do understand that it isn't anything for them to do that.. 

But you can also look at it this way... 

If money is no object to them, and $21 million is nothing. Why not really unload the cash truck and hire the best? Let them run the show..

Oh wait... some people love the thought of having power more than anything else. 

Well to be fair,  if i spent 10 million i would feel entitled to a "say"    I understand their meddling  i dont agree with it   but i understand it.  

Guys I'm passing through Dothan... no site of Lincoln Riley. Will update.

Just now, auskip07 said:

Well to be fair,  if i spent 10 million i would feel entitled to a "say"    I understand their meddling  i dont agree with it   but i understand it.  

Oh yeah I agree. I'd expect the same.

We both know their intentions aren't in the best interest of the football program though. They definitely aren't coaching talent analysts... lol. They fork out that money ONLY to have power and a say. If it was for the best interest of the university, I think they'd do a little better with their choice of coach. 

Just now, auskip07 said:

But they do NOT need to get involved in power struggles between assistant coaches and the HC. They should work together to compromise, even if they don't get exactly each one wants, for the betterment of the Auburn program.

And they need to let the AD have as much involvement in the process as needed to make it a smooth evaluation for the next coach.

Wait...I think I just woke up from my dream... :)

Steele and Garner going behind Gus' back like that warrants getting fired anywhere else. But at Auburn and to the snake BOT, Steele and Garner become top priorities.

IF, big if, IF AG is actually in control of the search now, and the rumors are indeed true that he's the one who nixed Steele as a candidate, then I imagine that was AG doing what's right and ethical. You can't do what they did and then expect a promotion, and I think AG wants to enforce that. And my god, I really hope he's able to because I think I speak for many of our fans when I say that's a huge step in the right direction. I 100% see AG getting rid of the BOT's requirement of retaining Steele and Garner.

That being said, I'm genuinely rooting for AG. He's got the charisma and intellect to sell any coach on this job, but he just needs the snakes to get out of the way and let him do his job.

4 minutes ago, WDE0007 said:

Steele and Garner going behind Gus' back like that warrants getting fired anywhere else. But at Auburn and to the snake BOT, Steele and Garner become top priorities.

IF, big if, IF AG is actually in control of the search now, and the rumors are indeed true that he's the one who nixed Steele as a candidate, then I imagine that was AG doing what's right and ethical. You can't do what they did and then expect a promotion, and I think AG wants to enforce that. And my god, I really hope he's able to because I think I speak for many of our fans when I say that's a huge step in the right direction. I 100% see AG getting rid of the BOT's requirement of retaining Steele and Garner.

That being said, I'm genuinely rooting for AG. He's got the charisma and intellect to sell any coach on this job, but he just needs the snakes to get out of the way and let him do his job.

Your framework for what is the right way is the way MOST of us, who make decisions would do it.

But we really don't know how AG really operates. He is not a front runner type of CEO of athletics. I only know a few people that work in the AD, and I never have heard if he is a dominant type of Director, so I don't know if he has the authority to take control of a disjointed process that seems to have evolved in the hiring process.

I want to think AG is doing this...but is it too late to hire a coach who we all know would be upgrade and potentially a successful hire, who has great recruiting credentials, and leadership qualities needed to lead this football program?

I live in Greenville, SC and I must say that the staff led by Dabo works as a cohesive unit. He and Venables are best friends and their boys (who play at Clemson) are very close too. I think he is a longshot but think he would be good. He does remind me a bit of Muschamp with the sideline emotion. Muschamp turned that down after he became a HC. However, he has never been an HC. I hope Venables can avoid the struggles that have faced WM.

Just now, BigBlueWDE said:

Couldn't argue with Venables. Not in my Tier 1, but would put an end to an unmitigated disaster

Would give a foot for Venables right now.

I know everyone talks about his 'skeletons', but at this point we can just celebrate Halloween all year on the Plains if that's what it takes.  Bring the skeletons out and go full David S Pumpkins IMHO.

2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

That was quick. lol 

B8D822AA-14D8-43ED-A559-0A185FA31B27.jpeg

I bet he had a sh** eating grin when he put that on Twitter. That man hates AU. 

and there is No Way Brent is taking this job. We are a joke right now. 

4 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

That was quick. lol 

B8D822AA-14D8-43ED-A559-0A185FA31B27.jpeg

Thamel is never right, so does that mean he's in contract negotiations or interviewing with us?

24 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Are we in a holding pattern for a while waiting on bowl games to wrap up?   It would seem that we might not have the hourly updates that seemed to be happening yesterday.  

Just a guess but if AD is now in charge, it will take some time to reset expectations and revisit previous names. 

It is so ridiculous. At this point anyone can throw out a name it would be as accurate as any pundit that has weighed in so far.

I'll give it a try. 

I heard Andy Reid was on Auburn's list and he was gonna bring Don Martindale as DC.

At this point, anyone connected to Bama (either directly working for Nick, played at Bama or works for someone coaching or formally coaching under someone from the Nick tree) will not be taking this job. 

Just imagine
If i was a coach and was told that i wouldnt have full control (turned down the job) and then they came back and promised full control    would you believe them? 

To me, the more the candidates withdraw their name, the less leverage the PTB has over this search and it makes Greene look stronger, IMO.

Or makes Greene the perfect prey to pin the blame if we hire Steele at the end.

Archived