Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who don't like this, don't worry... There's still a STRONG likelihood he turns us down 😂

1 minute ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

relax, yes we crapped the bed with Mario and Napier but this guy can do great here. And really you mention Leach, he took Leach to 3 OTs with lesser talent.

I’m glad you’re optimistic. I really am. I wish I could find it within myself to be. But once again. We just let the Auburn University athletic department and it’s boosters f*cking screw the players, the alumni, and the current students all over again. Cristobal, Kiffen, Sark, Napier, Freeze, Venables, Elliot. Nope! Not Auburn! Bryan Harsin!

They mess around with their power hungry sh*t and give us this, when they had a chance to pretty much name their coach. And you think it’s ok. That’s some ultra level optimism.

I swear this is unreal. They are literally dropping every name from here to kingdom come to find someone. Anyone, who will accept stipulations. Are these guys out of money? Is that it? Whatever the case maybe, these stipulations are deliberately sabotaging any attempt to hire a good coach. And any worry about certain coaches retaliating if let go, should be taken care of with an NDA tied to their termination/buyout. This is not rocket science. But it's a gigantic PR disaster. What is wrong with these people? You have to feel for Gogue and AG right now.

He walks in as the most accomplished HC hire I can remember AU hiring. The thing is can he recruit and more importantly does he have autonomy to run his program? 

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I think he was  was Co- OC with Major Applewhite.

I thought he was main guy and applewbite got the co- while boisie boi was playcaller and main dude in charge. I'm probably wrong though. 

Just now, mdp5150 said:

He walks in as the most accomplished HC hire I can remember AU hiring. The thing is can he recruit and more importantly does he have autonomy to run his program? 

He has the autonomy to defer to the PTB. 

It’s amazing that some people wouldn’t know what a good coach looks like if Saban was sitting across from them.  Harsin has learned from two successful coaches, Peterson and the old fart at North Carolina.    

He definitely knows how to coach quarterbacks.   Can he recruit?  We will have to wait and see.   Don’t think anyone thought Gus would do as well as he did while at Auburn.   

2 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

His 2 years at Texas under Mack Brown should give him some experience on the recruiting trail. Should have some good contacts for assistant coaches. 

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

I thought he was main guy and applewbite got the co- while boisie boi was playcaller and main dude in charge. I'm probably wrong though. 

could be.    I wasn't paying close attention to it back then.

27 minutes ago, chimes said:

So...Bryan Harsin? 

He’s from Boise and has coached there most of his career.  Short stint at Texas and a year as HC at Ark St.  I don’t know how well he recruits but listening to him on YouTube he seems like a good communicator.  He’s been a winner at Boise but that’s a far cry from the SEC.  I don’t follow Boise St so don’t know what kind of Offense they run.  Even so, I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.  I’d be fine with us hiring him but he’d need some staff with ties to the SE that can recruit here.  

35 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Um what? 

Is this another "Elliott situation," where someone is leaking info deliberately early to sour any possibility of it happening? Or is it on the level?

Just now, Tiger4life25 said:

He needs to absolutely clean house, PERIOD 

Fair enough.  All these SEC coaches that have been let go lately, anyone worth going after? Muschamp as DC? 

3 minutes ago, Tiger4life25 said:

He needs to absolutely clean house, PERIOD 

I actually disagree. This guy has no idea how to coach in the SEC. if he brings in his own guys, we’re screwed. 

2 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Fair enough.  All these SEC coaches that have been let go lately, anyone worth going after? Muschamp as DC? 

That would be a good get, I would like to see a southeastern type DC

3 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Well, there’s our left field hire! Haha. Maybe he will come in and turn it around. I don’t know much about him. 

Guess he may have been the coach who reached out to us? 

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I actually disagree. This guy has no idea how to coach in the SEC. if he brings in his own guys, we’re screwed. 

He will be getting SEC talent and I am sure there will be coaches sprinkled in with SEC ties. Football is football no matter where your from.

Archived