Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

5 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I actually disagree. This guy has no idea how to coach in the SEC. if he brings in his own guys, we’re screwed. 

We needed new blood, unbeholden to anybody around. I am warming up to this hire.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Guess he may have been the coach who reached out to us? 

I seen a article where he has stated he wanted Boise to leave their conference and join another one to give them better opportunities so that means he is hungry

I just hope Auburn fans go all in with Harsin. We need some unity and some excitement. We’ve hired a lot of coaches with a worse resume than he’s got. 

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

We needed new blood, unbeholden to anybody around. I am warming up to this hire.

Same here, I like his background and body of work, I also watched a few interviews after wins and losses and like his communication and personality 

1 minute ago, TigerTaz said:

I just hope Auburn fans go all in with Harsin. We need some unity and some excitement. We’ve hired a lot of coaches with a worse resume than he’s got. 

I would but his resume over Almost all the guys that we’re considered 

47 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Pete Thamel and Football scoop tweeted it’s Bryan Harsin

Please God no.  Let this be Thamel being typical sleazebag Thamel. This just can’t be. 

Please tell me we didn’t fire the 5-6th highest paid coach in the country to bring in a poor man’s Derek Dooley. Go back to Mario hat in hand. Give Napier total control and overpay him, I don’t care. Make Elliott an offer he can’t refuse. 

Just now, auburndkel said:

Please God no.  Let this be Thamel being typical sleazebag Thamel. This just can’t be. 

Please tell me we didn’t fire the 5-6th highest paid coach in the country to bring in a poor man’s Derek Dooley. Go back to Mario hat in hand. Give Napier total control and overpay him, I don’t care. Make Elliott an offer he can’t refuse. 

seems to be too late for that.

I don't know much about him, but I am excited that he is not part of the AU problem. Please let him hire his own staff and give him control. 

This is another example of no one knows **** about what is happening in the background. I am for ALL NEW. I am glad we are not rehiring another SEC retred. I am hopeful to be fired up after r4eading about him. Let's GO!

4 minutes ago, auburndkel said:

Derek Dooley has had a poor coaching record every where he has been. What are you even talking about?

Most everyone seemed to agree ability to recruit at an elite level was a must for the new coach. Is he that guy? I'm just asking, I don't even pretend to know the answer.

Except for Freeze and maybe Kiffin I don’t see this guy being any less than Napier or Mario but mainly Napier. I also think he is a better pick than the two at Clemson because he has actual HC experience.

Hope he isn’t reading Auburn message boards for reactions.  He might not sign contract.  Whew brutal.  He is 69-19 in one of the best Group of 5 Conferences.  He will need to make some key hires to kick butt in recruiting.  We will see.  

man, I have a lot of research to do. 

Thank you Allen Greene for giving us something other than a re-tread. Time will tell obviously, but we get near term datapoints starting w/ the DC and DL coach picks. 

1 minute ago, Tony4AU said:

Hope he isn’t reading Auburn message boards for reactions.  He might not sign contract.  Whew brutal.  He is 69-19 in one of the best Group of 5 Conferences.  He will need to make some key hires to kick butt in recruiting.  We will see.  

Yep 69-19 and 44 years old, seems he was not happy being in their conference because he wants a better chance to compete for NC and this might be why the move to SEC 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Derek Dooley has had a poor coaching record every where he has been. What are you even talking about?

With the exception of maybe 8-12 guys, we were in a position to hire any coach in the country, and we hired Bryan Harsin. utk hired a mid-level coach that spiraled their program to the depths of the SEC to this day. I worry we just made a similar hire. I swore I was going to support anybody but Steele, but I’m struggling. We’re supposed to be one of the top football programs in the country. Is this a monetary move after the Gus contract fiasco?

We needed an HC with a huge recruiting track record (Mario). We needed a coach that knew the SE and proved he could win (Napier/Elliott), but instead we hired...who?  Oh yeah, 4 & 5 star guys will be begging for an AU offer. 

Just now, auburndkel said:

With the exception of maybe 8-12 guys, we were in a position to hire any coach in the country, and we hired Bryan Harsin. utk hired a mid-level coach that spiraled their program to the depths of the SEC to this day. I worry we just made a similar hire. I swore I was going to support anybody but Steele, but I’m struggling. We’re supposed to be one of the top football programs in the country. Is this a monetary move after the Gus contract fiasco?

We needed an HC with a huge recruiting track record (Mario). We needed a coach that knew the SE and proved he could win (Napier/Elliott), but instead we hired...who?  Oh yeah, 4 & 5 star guys will be begging for an AU offer. 

Okay all of this is fine but your comparison is way off base bro. Unfortunately with this splash hire , it takes a whole lot to get these guys here and also it takes the perfect scenario. I can’t answer your other questions . I do think it didn’t hurt that he doesn’t seem as expensive. I do like that he has had quite a bit of coaching experience , he learned under Brown and Peterson and he seems to recruit well to Boise which isn’t easy to do. With that being said, of course it’s a risk and it’s a leap of faith. 

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

We will see if he can recruit down here. Hope he’s ready to work. Welcome aboard. 

He will be able to recruit to Auburn. Auburn is still in the SEC, and a draw for kids. The thing I like this most is his ability to develop players. Something Auburn needed drastically on offense. 

Archived