Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

Chimes!!!! My freakin boy!!! How ya been? 

Extremely freakin busy. Wife’s been popping out babies left and right and work never slows down, but I wouldn’t miss this for the world. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

There's a few people I've been messaging that have been spot on so far. This is not a name I've heard even once. I could be wrong but Steele and Lashlee are more likely at this point (not that I think it will be them).

If I had to bet, it's Cristobal unless Rane gets his way then it's Freeze.

Would you approve of this person?

I would rather Rane get his way than it be Steele, Lashlee, or probably whoever you're hearing.

1 minute ago, chimes said:

Extremely freakin busy. Wife’s been popping out babies left and right and work never slows down, but I wouldn’t miss this for the world. 

I hear ya buddy. Miss you posting here my friend. We need to grab a beer or something, someday!

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Would you approve of this person?

I would rather Rane get his way than it be Steele, Lashlee, or probably whoever you're hearing.

Cristobal can build a hell of an OL and recruit in the top 5. However, there are some dud performances.

Freeze is probably the better coach but not as good of a recruiter. Plus he has baggage that will scare off the holier than thou group. Plus, NCAA would audit us every year.

Wanted Sark to get some more discussion but I think all 3 are an upgrade. 

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

There's a few people I've been messaging that have been spot on so far. This is not a name I've heard even once. I could be wrong but Steele and Lashlee are more likely at this point (not that I think it will be them).

If I had to bet, it's Cristobal unless Rane gets his way then it's Freeze.

I guess my question is when/can we expect the naming of a new coach, especially with early signing period this week?

Just now, Zeek said:

Cristobal can build a hell of an OL and recruit in the top 5. However, there are some dud performances.

Freeze is probably the better coach but not as good of a recruiter. Plus he has baggage that will scare off the holier than thou group. Plus, NCAA would audit us every year.

Wanted Sark to get some more discussion but I think all 3 are an upgrade. 

But would you like the name that you hear?

Just now, PikesEagle said:

I guess my question is when/can we expect the naming of a new coach, especially with early signing period this week?

This isn't known. Former players making it sound like they have already been told. My guess is they didn't want to announce it the same day as the firing. 

I think some time tomorrow when the social media team feels it will get the most buzz.

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

But would you like the name that you hear?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This isn't known. Former players making it sound like they have already been told. My guess is they didn't want to announce it the same day as the firing. 

I think some time tomorrow when the social media team feels it will get the most buzz.

Makes sense.

4 hours ago, Carnell said:

I agree with you but I won't a DC from the NFL in Saints DC Dennis Allen.  However any coordinators from the NFL, putting hiring criteria on his staff even generalities such as hiring staff with big recruiting experience will get you his middle finger.  He is a big time coach that knows what he needs in a staff.

I think any coach coming in knows that life in college depends on recruiting . I think they all would agree to needing to get a good recruiting team in. Just like they do in the pros. I’m ok with a defensive coach but right now I think the college game is leaning hard t of wards the offensive side. See  LSU last year and name and Clemson, Oklahoma and even Notre Dame.  10 years ago it was skewered towards defense but definitely flooded now to offense. It will flip back done where down the road though. That’s the way it’s always been.  

Tbh I am more scared of Sark's baggage than Freeze's. Alcoholism is a touuuuuuugh thing to shake, especially in a stressful profession. As well as the fact he bombed at USC, and will likely be psyched out by Saban - the man who literally saved his career.

I'd be extremely disappointed if we got Sark.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I just read on Ducks 247 that MC has an 8 million buyout if he leaves.

Just now, Hopsing said:

Not sure how if this has been mentioned, but I just read on Ducks 247 that MC has an 8 million buyout if he leaves.

If we hurry lol.  Probably 20 if he signs extension. 

Taking your list name by name, here are my thoughts:

- Freeze: Hard to read this one. Outwardly, he’s got that Auburn man feel to him. But, after what came out at OM, there’s a lot of baggage. He’s also very close to Malzahn in scheme and coaching style (and he’s also friends with Malzahn). Do we really want to fire Malzahn and replace him with someone that similar?

-Sarkesian: I just don’t see this one. He underperformed badly at USC and spent most of his time there drunk (literally). Not only do I think he’s a bust as a head coach, but the good ole boy network would raise fits if we hired him after how he was fired from USC. 

- Brady: Too much of a risk hire. He’s very young, and has two years of “real” coaching experience. I don’t value experience that much in hiring, but this really just means there’s not a lot of info on him yet. His offense in LSU was good, but it hasn’t really done well in Carolina. I could see him being a big name down the road. I could also just as easily see him fading into obscurity. 

- Meyer: I don’t see this happening. Meyer is a well documented jerk, who has quit on his teams twice when things got a little tough. I don’t see him meshing either the fans or the culture here, and I’d personally be disgusted if we hired him. I think he’s scum. Same goes for Lane Kiffin. If we manage to hire either of those, I’ll be taking a little break from Auburn Football if you catch my drift. 

-Cristobal: Some folks are high on him. I’m not. There’s a whole thread devoted to him. I’ll leave my controversial opinion of him there. 

-Chadwell: Too risky of a pick. He’s never coached in a power five program in any capacity if I’m remembering correctly. He’s had one good year, but can he sustain it? My feelings are similar here to what I said of Brady earlier. This one could really pan out, or it could really really not. 

- Napier: My feelings are similar to the last coach^, but with even less confidence. ULL is not a great program, and they’ve looked pretty good the last two years under him. But he’s just too risky of an option. Only has 3 years of even experience as a coordinator, two were with Clemson pre-Dabo. The third was one year as OC of an Arizona State team that I think fired their coach at the end of the year. Two years playing group of five football doesn’t give me enough confidence to back this hire. 

-Fickell: Places he’s coached previously... Ohio state, Akron, Cincinnati, and that’s it. He’s never coached outside Ohio. If he leaves, he will probably stay in the Midwest. I also wonder how well he’d be able to recruit the southeast having never lived here or coached here. I don’t pretend to be an expert on him. But he seems like he’d actually have fit culturally here from interviews I’ve seen with him, and has been successful. He could actually be the person that could strike the balance of making the good ole boys happy and winning a lot of games. But I just don’t see him leaving the Midwest. 

- Heupel: His records have gotten worse every year he’s been at UCF. I wonder how effective he’ll be when the previous coach’s players are gone. He’s not on the radar for many people for this job probably because of this. I don’t see it. 

-Venables: Has interviewed for numerous positions over the past few years, and always gets passed. I have a feeling his skill set tops him out at defensive coordinator. 

From this pool, I’d bet Freeze and Napier are the most likely, but I wouldn’t really be happy with either.

2 hours ago, fasttimes said:

Is there any chance Auburn fired gus and doesn’t have their guy?

if so......🤦‍♂️

I think it was known before firing. More I think about it its Freeze or someone not coaching at the moment.

35 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think any coach coming in knows that life in college depends on recruiting . I think they all would agree to needing to get a good recruiting team in. Just like they do in the pros. I’m ok with a defensive coach but right now I think the college game is leaning hard t of wards the offensive side. See  LSU last year and name and Clemson, Oklahoma and even Notre Dame.  10 years ago it was skewered towards defense but definitely flooded now to offense. It will flip back done where down the road though. That’s the way it’s always been.  

I know where you are coming from and if Auburn signed a Josh McDaniel or a Kyle Brady i would not cry.  

I'll say this much... 

We can't hire someone with the goal of asking them to keep current assistants. The next HC needs to be experienced and networked enough to have his own rolodex.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

IMO That’s way too soon... they need to vet, interview and get this hire right. 

They already got the guy just need to announce it.

Archived