Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Promoting Kevin Steele would be the budget friendly option, which I am sure is attractive to an AD that is imploring everybody to find 10% savings in their budgets. It would also give us an 8-4'ish campaign next year. I don't understand why you would fire Gus to make that move. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, fasttimes said:

seems like maybe not the best idea to dictate who the new guy should have for their DC.

Agreed. Limits your capacity to get the correct hire.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Posted in the Gus is out thread but I guess it goes here too. So one of the better insiders on any AU site, JHead called in on the Brain Drain & gave what he's hearing on candidates. The video starts there...

I like this guy. He speaks a lot of common sense. 

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

I like this guy. He speaks a lot of common sense. 

Agreed, made it clear that he believes MC is one and BN probably two.  I would be pleased with both hires.   I would hope for a faster timeline, but it seems most of the commits are staying with Auburn, so less need to rush, I guess.

12 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Agreed, made it clear that he believes MC is one and BN probably two.  I would be pleased with both hires.   I would hope for a faster timeline, but it seems most of the commits are staying with Auburn, so less need to rush, I guess.

I would be a little less pleased with BN, only due to the lack of power 5 HC coaching experience. I will say he does some to have a top tier coaching pedigree.  

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

I would be a little less pleased with BN, only due to the lack of power 5 HC coaching experience. I will say he does some to have a top tier coaching pedigree.  

I like Freeze and Cristobal and honestly I would prefer Freeze but listening to the baggage that he would bring to program as far as NCAA is concerned, I think we will be wise to stay away from that.  Hopefully it is a done deal with Cristobal and we are just dotting Is and crossing Ts. If it were to be Napier I think that is a big chance we would be taking and I think if it is Napier, it is because we whiffed on Cristobal for whatever reason. 

6 hours ago, PigskinPat said:

I never said you were wrong about them struggling that year in recruiting, just that you were factually wrong about them only ending up with 10 recruits signed.

I just realized this Friction person is my wife posting in disguise! She never wrong! 

• ellitor changed the title to Coach Candidates Thread
1 hour ago, DAG said:

I admittedly don’t know much about him and gonna check him out now.  For some reason i feel like a name is gonna pop up randomly and we will all be surprised one way or the other.

One of the mods on 247 believes it is Steele. Had a live chat last night with plenty to say about it. 

If that turns out to be true I am done. I will cancel CFB from my life. We will be the laughing stock of the entire country and will set us back 10 years further than we already are. We will become West Vandy.

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

One of the mods on 247 believes it is Steele. Had a live chat last night with plenty to say about it. 

If that turns out to be true I am done. I will cancel CFB from my life. We will be the laughing stock of the entire country and will set us back 10 years further than we already are. We will become West Vandy.

I just don't believe it will be Steele, but if it is you are right its a failure of epic proportions on Auburn's part. 

20 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

I admittedly don’t know much about him and gonna check him out now.  For some reason i feel like a name is gonna pop up randomly and we will all be surprised one way or the other.

Right on Que...

1377C36A-BCC4-462B-A329-5697E6AB386A.jpeg

WORST CASE, would be Steele.....I'm kinda' feeling around various places and I am very optimistic that my personal favorite just may be the guy. He is a bit busy right now,though. According to what I am gleaning, it may be Sark

5 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I just don't believe it will be Steele, but if it is you are right its a failure of epic proportions on Auburn's part. 

It is so absurd that I can't believe it. I was up til 4am thinking about this. I tried to wrap my brain around the concept and I just can't. That is the proverbial throwing in the towel for AU keeping up with Rivals. 

8 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Some are saying the Steele talk could be a smokescreen to keep attention off of what is really happening behind it.

Some have sounded confident it will be MC, and some have even said the deal is done.

Yes please

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

8 hours ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Some are saying the Steele talk could be a smokescreen to keep attention off of what is really happening behind it.

Some have sounded confident it will be MC, and some have even said the deal is done.

The mods on 247 Oregon seem to think Phil Knight has locked down a contract extension with MC. No confirmation that it has been signed, but telling them all to relax. 

I literally went from top of the world to bring Gus back and let's suffer through it in a day's time. The only information I have seen from anyone remotely connected is saying things I do not want to hear. 

1 minute ago, chizhead said:

MC has an $8 million buyout to deal with....

Yup, but if I am the PTB at AU...and I truly want to get AU to an elite level....I am thinking let's bite this bullet one time and get our guy that can build us up. The problem, I fear, is that they have zero cares about AU being an elite championship contender. 

I mean....literally this is the best opportunity AU will have had to make a real hire. We are the top job open. Period...we have top choice right now. 

26 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

It ain't happening

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

I would assume the "small group" at Auburn has learned more hard lessons than any other "small group" of insiders in all of cfb. I have to believe they're of the right mind-set this time around and are getting ready to upset the apple cart. But thanks anyway Alex.

Archived