Dear Coach Flo (merged threads)

Mikey

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I don't know which team is worse. Auburn's Women's team or Auburn's men's team.

You don’t know who is worse between a team that is 5-14 overall, 0-11 in conference, on a 12 game losing streak, and has numerous upperclassmen vs another team that is 11-11 overall, 5-8 in conference, on a 1 game losing streak, and is the youngest team in the country? Hahahahahahahahahaha

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's gotten to the point like football was.  To watch is maddening and no fun.  So, I have to turn away.  To have let this program sink to this low is atrocious!  I agree that if nothing is done to make changes, just drop the program.

3 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Actually the answers is neither of the above. With posts like these your posts are worse.

The women's & men's teams aren't even remotely comparable. Men are much better.

19 hours ago, AUGoo said:

It's gotten to the point like football was.  To watch is maddening and no fun.  So, I have to turn away.  To have let this program sink to this low is atrocious!  I agree that if nothing is done to make changes, just drop the program.

Seriously?  The last time the football team was winless in conference play was 2012.  The football team beat a very good bama team in 2019, which was just over a year ago.  The football team played for an SEC championship in 2017, after beating # 1 uga and #1 bama. That was 3 years ago.  The last time AU women's basketball played for an SEC championship was before the current coaching staff got here. In fact, the team won back to back tournaments in 2009 and 2010 I believe.

Women's basketball coach Terri Williams-Flournoy should be fired before today's home game at Auburn Arena.  That action could possibly inspire this team to play above the level they have performed at all year and actually beat the school from the less scenic other side of the state. I know, it isn't likely to happen until after the tournament loss, but we can hope.

Its so bad that I no longer watch when the game is on tv, and have not watched in a couple years. Fortner wasn't great by any means, but even she had better teams. How old is Ciampi?

Does she have a buyout??

Hopefully AD Greene sees the writing on the wall.    I'd like to see the women's coach at Alaska-Anchorage get a look.   Phenomenal results there

• WarTiger changed the title to Dear Coach Flo (merged threads)
On 2/13/2021 at 3:46 PM, auburn4ever said:

Have you ever in your life watched any Auburn team actually play?   It seems the answer is NO.   Your posts are worse that either of our basketball teams. 

16 hours ago, TKO55 said:

Does she have a buyout??

Hopefully AD Greene sees the writing on the wall.    I'd like to see the women's coach at Alaska-Anchorage get a look.   Phenomenal results there

I wouldn't mind if Samantha Williams at EKU got a shot.

On 2/11/2021 at 5:53 AM, ellitor said:

Yep! And it’s the last time I’m going to do it… Unless I forget I said this. LOL

Careful I have an excuse for forgetting something, I can call it a senior moment. LOL

2 hours ago, AU9377 said:

As it stands now, we can't compete with them.

Actually we did in the 2nd, 3rd, & at least half of the 4th quarter. The 1st quarter & the end of the 4th was the difference.

17 hours ago, AUGoo said:

"Well, we won the last three quarters......."

-Brodie Croyle after the Honk If You Sacked Brodie game

Exactly! Only the final score counts.

Great comeback!

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

Actually we did in the 2nd, 3rd, & at least half of the 4th quarter. The 1st quarter & the end of the 4th was the difference.

When she took the program over, we were firmly ahead compared to bama.  We can't say that today.  In fact, we are behind from a roster talent comparison and last in the SEC.

I'm not a trigger happy coach firing kind of guy, but the point of no return has clearly been reached.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

When she took the program over, we were firmly ahead compared to bama.  We can't say that today.  In fact, we are behind from a roster talent comparison and last in the SEC.

Agree & on the bolded part that's what happens when you throw the team under the bus at the end of the season. Should have gotten her fired on the spot after last season.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Agree & on the bolded part that's what happens when you throw the team under the bus at the end of the season. Should have gotten her fired on the spot after last season.

When TWF was hired, it came down to Kelli Harper and her.  In fact, Harper caught hell from NC State for interviewing for the position and that contributed to her being dismissed.  The players were shocked when TWF was the choice, as was I in many ways.  Even so, I understood the decision when the added benefit of making a minority hire and her family connections were added to the equation.  I was concerned that her style of play wouldn't translate to the SEC.  It didn't.  What surprised me most is that her connections with AAU ball thru her brother never produced talent for Auburn.  I understand that he can't recruit for her, but we all know that influence is about a lot more than direct recruiting.

It all worked out for Harper in the end, in that she eventually took Missouri State to the NCAA tournament and then landed her dream job back at UT.  I'm not sure that I wouldn't give Holly Warlick a call to judge her interest in getting back in the game.  She, at the very least, knows how to organize a program and recruit the right talent.

4 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

When TWF was hired, it came down to Kelli Harper and her.  In fact, Harper caught hell from NC State for interviewing for the position and that contributed to her being dismissed.  The players were shocked when TWF was the choice, as was I in many ways.  Even so, I understood the decision when the added benefit of making a minority hire and her family connections were added to the equation.  I was concerned that her style of play wouldn't translate to the SEC.  It didn't.  What surprised me most is that her connections with AAU ball thru her brother never produced talent for Auburn.  I understand that he can't recruit for her, but we all know that influence is about a lot more than direct recruiting.

It all worked out for Harper in the end, in that she eventually took Missouri State to the NCAA tournament and then landed her dream job back at UT.  I'm not sure that I wouldn't give Holly Warlick a call to judge her interest in getting back in the game.  She, at the very least, knows how to organize a program and recruit the right talent.

I don't care who the coach is. I just want a program at a quality level so I don't have to see more of us workers than fans in the stands at the games.

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't care who the coach is. I just want a program at a quality level so I don't have to see more of us workers than fans in the stands at the games.

I was at this game... I can't believe that it has been 12 years.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2009/1/25/No_6_Auburn_Breaks_16_Game_Losing_Streak_To_No_10_Tennessee_With_84_68_Win.aspx

43 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I was actually at the game...insane we were all going crazy when they broke the lead to under 10 pts

That lasted all of what?...20 seconds? lol

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

That lasted all of what?...20 seconds? lol

Maaaan, it was like the late 3rd or early 4th when they finally did it, then Bama went on a 12-0 run or something like that. They fought again to get it to about 9-10 but never got it any closer than that. Just sad to see the lack of consistency 

To put in a basketball sense, there's alot of things I've seen in the two games I've watched (the previous two in AA) that befuddle me

1. They play almost exclusively zone, yet make no adjustment when teams shoot the HELL out of that zone (which occurred in both games) 

2. I assume they play zone bc they have a skinnier frontcourt/set of bigs, yet their bigs do a bad job of coming out to the perimeter to defend players. Thompson is very rigid

3. Almost an absolutely non shooting team. 2 of the 3 guards don't even look to take threes. Many of the players prefer to step up to take long 2s, which should be completely dead in the modern game unless you hit them at 70%+ clip. We have had this Thompson individual for...3-4 years? We've played through her for seasons for what I understand, but the gals who could space the floor for her, either don't get very quality looks (Annie Hughes?) or they leave (Lauren Hansen...) 

4. Overall, they get the hustle part of this grit and grind style down, but it's not very focused into a real direction. They know they're going to face a zone defense 99% of possessions, yet there's many screens used to get people open. There's some motion, and rovers that flash in the middle, but as what I assume is gained from watching film, that motion is simply useless eye candy. This is where I think they need new leadership. Coach Flo would be a good defensive coordinator imo, but I think her roster, recruiting (I liked the class that included Hansen and Hughes, but many of the big name players left), and offensive principles are antiquated. 

I don't watch enough WBB or WNBA to know what are the trendy offensive styles there, but I'd love for them to throw a bag at Steven Pearl, in terms of local names. 

14 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

To put in a basketball sense, there's alot of things I've seen in the two games I've watched (the previous two in AA) that befuddle me

1. They play almost exclusively zone, yet make no adjustment when teams shoot the HELL out of that zone (which occurred in both games) 

2. I assume they play zone bc they have a skinnier frontcourt/set of bigs, yet their bigs do a bad job of coming out to the perimeter to defend players. Thompson is very rigid

3. Almost an absolutely non shooting team. 2 of the 3 guards don't even look to take threes. Many of the players prefer to step up to take long 2s, which should be completely dead in the modern game unless you hit them at 70%+ clip. We have had this Thompson individual for...3-4 years? We've played through her for seasons for what I understand, but the gals who could space the floor for her, either don't get very quality looks (Annie Hughes?) or they leave (Lauren Hansen...) 

4. Overall, they get the hustle part of this grit and grind style down, but it's not very focused into a real direction. They know they're going to face a zone defense 99% of possessions, yet there's many screens used to get people open. There's some motion, and rovers that flash in the middle, but as what I assume is gained from watching film, that motion is simply useless eye candy. This is where I think they need new leadership. Coach Flo would be a good defensive coordinator imo, but I think her roster, recruiting (I liked the class that included Hansen and Hughes, but many of the big name players left), and offensive principles are antiquated. 

I don't watch enough WBB or WNBA to know what are the trendy offensive styles there, but I'd love for them to throw a bag at Steven Pearl, in terms of local names. 

They play zone, but it isn't really a well designed zone defense. It often breaks down from zone to a street fight with everybody slapping at the ball and hoping to avoid a foul call.  That said, I can live with the defensive effort and coaching.  At times, however, I feel like somebody needs to tap Flo on the shoulder and remind her that the ball has to go thru the hole in order to actually win the game.  The number of shots they throw up at times is insane.  If they would instead take better shots and run some offensive sets, they could get better results.   Unfortunately, good shooters have no interest in coming to Auburn when they realize they won't be valued.

Archived