Dear Coach Flo (merged threads)

Mikey

5 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

They play zone, but it isn't really a well designed zone defense. It often breaks down from zone to a street fight with everybody slapping at the ball and hoping to avoid a foul call.  That said, I can live with the defensive effort and coaching.  At times, however, I feel like somebody needs to tap Flo on the shoulder and remind her that the ball has to go thru the hole in order to actually win the game.  The number of shots they throw up at times is insane.  If they would instead take better shots and run some offensive sets, they could get better results.   Unfortunately, good shooters have no interest in coming to Auburn when they realize they won't be valued.

Idk how many times I saw a defender run with someone like they’re playing man and just leave an entire side open lol. And with Thompson being unable to close out to contest a 3, it’s just easy money 

and yeah I would say the series of inept offensive possessions, they don’t help. I think they could survive with their offensive ineptitude and style if they could play better D, but I’m basing my experiences off of two performances that hopefully aren’t the norm (or this team is REALLY flawed) 

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as positives, there’s some talented individuals. Unique is really skilled, and more than just height, around the rim. The other forward that’s first off the bench, she’s a really good passer and smart player overall. Seems like a solid shooter. Levy appears to be a talented offensive player who just isn’t acclimated to this game yet (and isn’t quite being optimized). I like Honesty, and there’s another guard that’s a really sound driver to the rim 

There’s pieces to build around 

On 2/5/2021 at 10:15 AM, slot canyon said:

While we are looking on the bright side be aware that some players who do not usually get playing time get valuable minutes during the last few minutes of the game since the outcome has been well decided.  😬

No you got to do it like this Coach Flo your Fired !!!

Have not watched the WBB team this season besides briefly the LSU game. Just sad and embarrassing what has become of this program. I hope we find a way to get one win to avoid the stain of a winless SEC season, but as of now I do not see it happening. Anyways, I'm paying more attention lately as I am anxious to see that 1. ADAG does indeed step in and fire CTWF. There is obviously zero excuse to keep her, but there is the tiny part of doubt in me that thinks Gouge will tell him to keep her another year since we just paid Gus. I know, her buyout is peanuts compared to Gus and no doubt we can afford it, just my battered fan syndrome thinking that Gouge will want to save face after receiving heat for firing Gus during tough economic times due to Covid. 2. Who does Allen Greene hire assuming she is let go? Excited to see a list of candidates and the search but I will wait until the season ends and the move is officially made. The sad part is that if we pulled the plug last year, we still had some decent talent on the team that would have helped the new coach transition. Now, I struggle to see any SEC talent on this team outside of Unique, and we are looking at a total rebuild, which will not be easy. This will probably take at least 3 years to become competitive again.

11 hours ago, au302 said:

Have not watched the WBB team this season besides briefly the LSU game. Just sad and embarrassing what has become of this program. I hope we find a way to get one win to avoid the stain of a winless SEC season, but as of now I do not see it happening. Anyways, I'm paying more attention lately as I am anxious to see that 1. ADAG does indeed step in and fire CTWF. There is obviously zero excuse to keep her, but there is the tiny part of doubt in me that thinks Gouge will tell him to keep her another year since we just paid Gus. I know, her buyout is peanuts compared to Gus and no doubt we can afford it, just my battered fan syndrome thinking that Gouge will want to save face after receiving heat for firing Gus during tough economic times due to Covid. 2. Who does Allen Greene hire assuming she is let go? Excited to see a list of candidates and the search but I will wait until the season ends and the move is officially made. The sad part is that if we pulled the plug last year, we still had some decent talent on the team that would have helped the new coach transition. Now, I struggle to see any SEC talent on this team outside of Unique, and we are looking at a total rebuild, which will not be easy. This will probably take at least 3 years to become competitive again.

It still amazes me that Greene allowed her to continue coaching as 7 players left the program before or soon after the season ended last year. Something is wrong when a coach says she recruited the wrong players and was going back to the way she recruited and coached earlier in her career here.  She never was showing a program capable of getting to the upper level of WBB and competing for championships. 

I guess Greene was able to use Covid as a fall back to allow her to coach this poor team she put on the floor this year, and totally unfair for U Thompson to have to be a part of it in her senior year.

On 2/16/2021 at 7:31 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Idk how many times I saw a defender run with someone like they’re playing man and just leave an entire side open lol. And with Thompson being unable to close out to contest a 3, it’s just easy money 

and yeah I would say the series of inept offensive possessions, they don’t help. I think they could survive with their offensive ineptitude and style if they could play better D, but I’m basing my experiences off of two performances that hopefully aren’t the norm (or this team is REALLY flawed) 

Your assessment is spot on.  Unfortunately, this team is really flawed.  There are a couple of talented players.  Unique could play and start on any team in the conference, including S Carolina, UT and A&M. There is another one or two that could make most rosters, but not start, and that is about it. 

At the end of the day, this boils down to style of play.  A hybrid of the system that Flo runs can work in the SEC, but devotion to her system alone simply won't work in the SEC.  The talent and coaching is just too good.  Her system worked at Georgetown and I don't doubt that she could find success at most non P5 schools.  Kentucky runs a similar press style, but they also play a half court game well enough to consistently score points.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

It still amazes me that Greene allowed her to continue coaching as 7 players left the program before or soon after the season ended last year. Something is wrong when a coach says she recruited the wrong players and was going back to the way she recruited and coached earlier in her career here.  She never was showing a program capable of getting to the upper level of WBB and competing for championships. 

I guess Greene was able to use Covid as a fall back to allow her to coach this poor team she put on the floor this year, and totally unfair for U Thompson to have to be a part of it in her senior year.

I think it boils down to the squeaky wheel getting the oil.  If there isn't much noise, he can push back making a decision.  From his view point, I can see how that happens.  I just can't see it happening again and pray that I don't.

Historically, Auburn makes a change when a head coach torpedos one of its teams to the cellar of the SEC in a given season. She will be gone as soon as this dying horse of a season is put out of its misery. 100%.

14 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Has Flo's Tigers won any conference games?

None, Zero, Nada.

We could be in Title IX trouble if she is not fired after this season.  Spent $21,000,000 to fire a men's coach that never had a losing season, etc. etc. If Coach Flo is back for 2021/2022, AU is not supporting women's sport as it does the men's. 

On 2/17/2021 at 10:01 PM, au302 said:

My top 5 candidates for the women’s Head Coaching Job at Auburn after this season 

1 Coach Dawn Stacy or Baylor Head Coach Coach Stacy and Coach Flo are best friends I would believe Coach Flo would want her best friend to take over as the Head Coach job and yes Baylor just won the National Championship but I believe The Head Coach at Baylor would love to come to the SEC and love the Challenge 

2 UConn Assistant Coach I believe one of his assistant would like to be a Head Coach soon and with the recruiting and the Coaching and the talent they got down there would be a great fit at Auburn 

3 Kellie Harper was a Assistant Coach under coach Flo and would love to come back to the Tigers I Think and You can what She is doing at Tennessee 

4 Becky Hammon Assistant Coach at San Antonio I think she wants to be a Head Coach and will fit perfectly in the SEC bring NBA Experience

5 UConn Head Coach I believe he will want to be in the SEC at some point 

44 minutes ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

5 UConn Head Coach I believe he will want to be in the SEC at some point 

Why would Gino Auriemma ever want to leave UConn?

Have they been using that chain all year?  They give it to a player to place around their neck like a turnover chain in football.  It is silly to say the least.

8 minutes ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Because of the SEC and he would probably want a Challenge and we would win National Championship like crazy 

I'll take some of what your having brother, lol. But in all seriousness, I simply think theres slim to no chance any of those candidates come here besides maybe a Uconn assistant. I think we'll have to get an up and coming assistant or non power 5 head coach from somewhere, but maybe ADAG will surprise us.

19 minutes ago, au302 said:

I'll take some of what your having brother, lol. But in all seriousness, I simply think theres slim to no chance any of those candidates come here besides maybe a Uconn assistant. I think we'll have to get an up and coming assistant or non power 5 head coach from somewhere, but maybe ADAG will surprise us.

I hope we can get a top coach we want to win as soon as possibly 

54 minutes ago, au302 said:

I agree. it will be either a Power 5 assistant or a HC at a mid major. Greene is not going to play top dollar for a women's BB coach...

Just now, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

We paid top dollar for Bruce and Butch Thompson 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I agree. it will be either a Power 5 assistant or a HC at a mid major. Greene is not going to play top dollar for a women's BB coach...

We need a Coach and a team that will attract fan’s and and excitement and the best players in the country we want to win the SEC in women’s basketball every year I love Watching girls basketball girls matter it’s not just guys 

4 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Because of the SEC and he would probably want a Challenge and we would win National Championship like crazy 

I love AU but he'd be stupid to leave UConn for AU. If he were so set on coming to the SEC he could get a much better SEC job than AU.

Archived