Dear Coach Flo (merged threads)

Mikey

59 minutes ago, Randy4AU said:

Has Coach Flo been fired already?

No, at least 2-3 years past due. They let her stay until she totally destroyed the Women’s BB program.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Au is a good job

Have you looked at our record and roster recently? Yes, the program has good history and tradition, but the painful truth is that this will be a total rebuild. We are staring down at going winless in conference, completely embarrassing. I'm not trying to sound overly negative, as I want the program to get back to winning and believe it can be done. However, the new coach will have their work cut out for them. I'm thinking they will need at least 3 recruiting classes, similar to what Bruce needed. Thus, from that sense, I don't know if I'd consider it a good job right now. However, if we get the right person who accepts the challenge and is hungry, I do think we can start winning again.

8 hours ago, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

My top 5 candidates for the women’s Head Coaching Job at Auburn after this season 

1 Coach Dawn Stacy or Baylor Head Coach Coach Stacy and Coach Flo are best friends I would believe Coach Flo would want her best friend to take over as the Head Coach job and yes Baylor just won the National Championship but I believe The Head Coach at Baylor would love to come to the SEC and love the Challenge 

2 UConn Assistant Coach I believe one of his assistant would like to be a Head Coach soon and with the recruiting and the Coaching and the talent they got down there would be a great fit at Auburn 

3 Kellie Harper was a Assistant Coach under coach Flo and would love to come back to the Tigers I Think and You can what She is doing at Tennessee 

4 Becky Hammon Assistant Coach at San Antonio I think she wants to be a Head Coach and will fit perfectly in the SEC bring NBA Experience

5 UConn Head Coach I believe he will want to be in the SEC at some point 

You must be on drugs:poke:

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I agree. it will be either a Power 5 assistant or a HC at a mid major. Greene is not going to play top dollar for a women's BB coach...

I can't believe that we are paying TWF what we do.  From what I can tell, she is the 4th highest paid women's basketball coach in the SEC

The thing is... we can get a very high quality coach for half what we are paying.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Not right now. About 12 or 13 SEC jobs are better.

If based only on the current state of the program, that could be said.  However, because this is basketball and rosters can be reshaped fairly quickly, taking into account our history of success, geographic location (recruiting footprint), facilities and resources, the Auburn job is very desirable.  The program has played in 7 Sweet 16s, 6 Elite 8s and 3 Final 4s. We also can't forget that Auburn has the ability to change someone's future financially overnight.

To put it in some perspective, compare the program to our success in women's softball.  We had no history of success in that sport until we hired Clint Myers.  We are now a middle of the pack SEC program at the very least.

2 hours ago, au302 said:

Have you looked at our record and roster recently? Yes, the program has good history and tradition, but the painful truth is that this will be a total rebuild. We are staring down at going winless in conference, completely embarrassing. I'm not trying to sound overly negative, as I want the program to get back to winning and believe it can be done. However, the new coach will have their work cut out for them. I'm thinking they will need at least 3 recruiting classes, similar to what Bruce needed. Thus, from that sense, I don't know if I'd consider it a good job right now. However, if we get the right person who accepts the challenge and is hungry, I do think we can start winning again.

When TWF got to Auburn, in her introductory presser, she called Auburn a gold mine.  Unfortunately, she is leaving it looking like an abandoned coal mine.

23 hours ago, au302 said:

I’m find if some girls transferred out we just need to get the right girls in the program 

21 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I can't believe that we are paying TWF what we do.  From what I can tell, she is the 4th highest paid women's basketball coach in the SEC

The thing is... we can get a very high quality coach for half what we are paying.

Yeah then let’s fire her and get that high quality coach

On 2/26/2021 at 8:30 PM, AU9377 said:

If based only on the current state of the program, that could be said.  However, because this is basketball and rosters can be reshaped fairly quickly, taking into account our history of success, geographic location (recruiting footprint), facilities and resources, the Auburn job is very desirable.  The program has played in 7 Sweet 16s, 6 Elite 8s and 3 Final 4s. We also can't forget that Auburn has the ability to change someone's future financially overnight.

To put it in some perspective, compare the program to our success in women's softball.  We had no history of success in that sport until we hired Clint Myers.  We are now a middle of the pack SEC program at the very least.

@AU9377 Definitely basing it off the current state of the program as well as the roster. Some on the current team would have to transfer & the new coach would have to be a hell of a recruiter to build trust in the program to better players to get the program out of the near basement it is now in the SEC.

On 2/26/2021 at 8:30 PM, AU9377 said:

History? 

It's been 25 years since the women got past the 2nd round of the NCAAs. 

Current players don't have any recollection of her past successful history.

And in the last 10 Flo has taken us all the way to the basement after 9 years.

It's not going to be easy for a new coach to take us back into competing for championships. They will HAVE to be better recruiters for sure, and hopefully a better on the court coach. 

On 2/26/2021 at 5:05 PM, Kasey Dunaway2021 said:

Au is a good job

Do you post on 24/7? Asking for a friend. Please reply....No need, I am pretty sure that you do...Oh my, you're a live one

8 hours ago, steeleagle said:

History? 

It's been 25 years since the women got past the 2nd round of the NCAAs. 

Current players don't have any recollection of her past successful history.

And in the last 10 Flo has taken us all the way to the basement after 9 years.

It's not going to be easy for a new coach to take us back into competing for championships. They will HAVE to be better recruiters for sure, and hopefully a better on the court coach. 

High school kids remember the past 4 or 5 years, that is true.  However, Auburn is an easier sell than either South Carolina or Mississippi State were when they were turned around.  The name recognition and location alone will get the right coach, with the right connections, in living rooms.  There are some quality coaches that would walk on broken glass for 100 miles for the opportunity to make $500,000 to $800,000 a year to coach in the SEC.

Nell had a solid program and brought in the right kids.  She won the SEC and we were never a bottom dweller.  She just ran out of steam and, to her credit, realized that.  We made the wrong hire to replace Nell Fortner and, unfortunately, have paid a high price for that decision over and over.  We could have and should have hired Kellie Harper when we hired TWF.  Even if Kellie had left to take the Tennessee job, she would have left a competitive program.

32 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

She would also be an economical choice for those in the athletic department that want to pretend that there is a money crunch of some kind.  She has done a solid job at Troy.

@AU9377FWIW Gus's buyout wasn't paid by AD funds. It was paid by a small group of donors. And his firing wasn't AG's call. He wanted for another year. He just quickly took control after Gus was fired & thus mitriculously got us Harsin. I expect the next WBB coach to be made with economics in mind as that has been his forte so far in his career.

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

@AU9377FWIW Gus's buyout wasn't paid by AD funds. It was paid by a small group of donors. And his firing wasn't AG's call. He wanted for another year. He just quickly took control after Gus was fired & thus mitriculously got us Harsin. I expect the next WBB coach to be made with economics in mind as that has been his forte so far in his career.

I understand all of that.  I also never criticized AG with regard to any of it.  That said, he is the AD and is the rightful ear to listen to both criticism and adulation.  We can say that the buyout isn't being paid with athletic department funds due to the money actually coming from TUF etc, but regardless of how it gets sliced, it is still money spent at the direction of the department.  There is no argument that the $92 million is also spent by the department, regardless of the funds raised in advance.  Otherwise, there would have been no need to secure the backing of the BOT.

The reason we won't be overly economical with respect to WBB is that we need to show substantial compliance with Title IX.  To be honest, that is the only reason TWF makes such an obscene amount of money today.

12 hours ago, AU9377 said:

I understand all of that.  I also never criticized AG with regard to any of it.  That said, he is the AD and is the rightful ear to listen to both criticism and adulation.  We can say that the buyout isn't being paid with athletic department funds due to the money actually coming from TUF etc, but regardless of how it gets sliced, it is still money spent at the direction of the department.  There is no argument that the $92 million is also spent by the department, regardless of the funds raised in advance.  Otherwise, there would have been no need to secure the backing of the BOT.

The reason we won't be overly economical with respect to WBB is that we need to show substantial compliance with Title IX.  To be honest, that is the only reason TWF makes such an obscene amount of money today.

I believe FLo was making around $700k now, after what 9 years. So the next coach will have to make something competitive with what SEC women's coaches are currently making. If AG goes with a young AC, then he could come in less and justify it.

I agree he isn't going after an experienced HC that would require a higher salary than what he was paying now...

And I think it would satisfy Title IX...

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I believe FLo was making around $700k now, after what 9 years. So the next coach will have to make something competitive with what SEC women's coaches are currently making. If AG goes with a young AC, then he could come in less and justify it.

I agree he isn't going after an experienced HC that would require a higher salary than what he was paying now...

And I think it would satisfy Title IX...

I agree.  I have no problem with us hiring an established AC.  That said, most established women's basketball head coaches don't make that kind of money.  That should give us a great deal of flexibility in terms of who we can pursue.  When I say most, I'm not taking into account elite coaches at elite programs.  They aren't leaving something they have built to come to Auburn for a $50,000 raise and a boat load of headaches. There are probably 10 that fall into that category, give or take.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

I agree.  I have no problem with us hiring an established AC.  That said, most established women's basketball head coaches don't make that kind of money.  That should give us a great deal of flexibility in terms of who we can pursue.  When I say most, I'm not taking into account elite coaches at elite programs.  They aren't leaving something they have built to come to Auburn for a $50,000 raise and a boat load of headaches. There are probably 10 that fall into that category, give or take.

And if they are elite coaches, then they are only using schools that may go after them like Auburn..to get them a really good raise or extension where they already are.

We are going to get a mid level college HC wanting to move up..or an AC from an existing top level college. IMO.

Archived