Dear Coach Flo (merged threads)

Mikey

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so without reading 9 pages, why has coach Flo failed so miserably?  Looking at her record at Georgetown, she should have been somewhat successful at Auburn.

9 minutes ago, Beaker said:

so without reading 9 pages, why has coach Flo failed so miserably?  Looking at her record at Georgetown, she should have been somewhat successful at Auburn.

Her style of play is capable of winning games when you don't play teams with rosters stocked with elite talent.  She had years to realize this and modify her coaching style.  She chose not to.  She could have brought in assistants to focus on coaching offense.  She chose not to.  She could have recruited post players with size, but she chose not to.  The fact is that her best teams consisted of players that she didn't recruit to Auburn.  Players with size inside and playing post were usually left overs from Nell Fortner's staff.  I have heard Nell herself warn over and over that TWF needed to recruit players other than guards, but that fell without being heard.

TWF wants her team to play with a 40 minutes of hell approach.  When other, more talented, teams have the offensive basketball IQ to slow you down and make you play a half court game, they usually beat you.  This should not have gone on for this long, but for many reasons, not the least of which were her connections to AAU ball by way of her family, she was given chance after chance after chance.  Those chances were mistakes and the program is now at the bottom of the SEC.

4 hours ago, WarNole said:

Time for a coaching change.  The girls deserve new leadership.

:wareagle:

Nice flashback from 2017.

Game just ended, so barring anything unexpected I would expect the news of Flo's firing to break sometime tonight or tomorrow. I will say, this was the first game I've watched the majority of, have watched bits and pieces of others. The team did did not quit and fought valiantly to get Unique a win. Was tough to see Unique cry as she walked off the court. I was pretty upset to see that, and it's made me even more angry at Flo for having arguably one of the top players in AU history and not being able to muster a single win, just absolutely disgraceful. I don't know how she can collect her salary this year and not feel like she's stealing, but that's just me. Florida was not good, but even I could tell our players besides Unique did not look SEC caliber to the untrained eye. Flo throwing the team under the bus and running off all of our decent talent really put the nail in the coffin. Sorry for the rant, just tough to see a team of obviously outmatched players try hard but be put in a horrible position by their coach. Good riddance, I hope we have a coach in place soon. 

Gotta give the girls some praise for their fight. They erased an 18 point deficit in about a 5 minute span late in the 3rd into the early 4th quarter & came all the way back to take a 3 point lead. Love to at least see that heart from a team winless in conference in over a year.

6 minutes ago, au302 said:

Game just ended, so barring anything unexpected I would expect the news of Flo's firing to break sometime tonight or tomorrow. I will say, this was the first game I've watched the majority of, have watched bits and pieces of others. The team did did not quit and fought valiantly to get Unique a win. Was tough to see Unique cry as she walked off the court. I was pretty upset to see that, and it's made me even more angry at Flo for having arguably one of the top players in AU history and not being able to muster a single win, just absolutely disgraceful. I don't know how she can collect her salary this year and not feel like she's stealing, but that's just me. Florida was not good, but even I could tell our players besides Unique did not look SEC caliber to the untrained eye. Flo throwing the team under the bus and running off all of our decent talent really put the nail in the coffin. Sorry for the rant, just tough to see a team of obviously outmatched players try hard but be put in a horrible position by their coach. Good riddance, I hope we have a coach in place soon. 

THat is what burned me the most.

AG and Leath gave her another chance to give her the 'resources'' she didn't get before(I assume that was her reasoning), then when she brought in a different style of player, but good ones, and she couldn't teach this style of player, she, as you said, threw them under the bus, saying she was going back to what she knows works (Ha), and so they left her nothing but Unique, and a bunch of transfers and Jucos, just to fill the roster( and now she says she was strapped w/ 8 scholarship players, which was her doing anyway).

I too feel bad for Unique who ended up 2nd team ALL-SEC, only bc she was playing on a bad team put together by Flo. She should have easily been first team. And I don't blame any of the players on any of this at all...

This is 100% on the shoulders of this staff and particularly this HC.  TWF has collected millions and produced nothing but a long string of excuses. If news of her dismissal doesn't come tonight or tomorrow, it is time to be loud.

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

THat is what burned me the most.

AG and Leath gave her another chance to give her the 'resources'' she didn't get before(I assume that was her reasoning), then when she brought in a different style of player, but good ones, and she couldn't teach this style of player, she, as you said, threw them under the bus, saying she was going back to what she knows works (Ha), and so they left her nothing but Unique, and a bunch of transfers and Jucos, just to fill the roster( and now she says she was strapped w/ 8 scholarship players, which was her doing anyway).

I too feel bad for Unique who ended up 2nd team ALL-SEC, only bc she was playing on a bad team put together by Flo. She should have easily been first team. And I don't blame any of the players on any of this at all...

Thanks @steeleagleI'm glad we all seem to see it the same way, that the coaching staff is to blame for the complete collapse of the program in such a short time. I hope one of the reporters has the guts to ask her in the postgame press conference what she thinks of her future. Will be funny to see what excuses she musters up this time around

4 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Her style of play is capable of winning games when you don't play teams with rosters stocked with elite talent.  She had years to realize this and modify her coaching style.  She chose not to.  She could have brought in assistants to focus on coaching offense.  She chose not to.  She could have recruited post players with size, but she chose not to.  The fact is that her best teams consisted of players that she didn't recruit to Auburn.  Players with size inside and playing post were usually left overs from Nell Fortner's staff.  I have heard Nell herself warn over and over that TWF needed to recruit players other than guards, but that fell without being heard.

TWF wants her team to play with a 40 minutes of hell approach.  When other, more talented, teams have the offensive basketball IQ to slow you down and make you play a half court game, they usually beat you.  This should not have gone on for this long, but for many reasons, not the least of which were her connections to AAU ball by way of her family, she was given chance after chance after chance.  Those chances were mistakes and the program is now at the bottom of the SEC.

This sounds an awful lot like another Auburn coach who was recently fired. 

17 hours ago, AU9377 said:

This should not have gone on for this long, but for many reasons, not the least of which were her connections to AAU ball by way of her family

Funny you say that.  When my daughter attended the Elite Camp in 2019, right after the Summer AAU session in Atlanta ended, we noticed that Coach Flo and her assistants only cared about the 10 or so girls that one particular AAU coach brought in.  Paid no attention to the other 30 girls at the camp.  My daughter left the camp saying it was a disappointment.  They offered a girl going into 8th grade who was one of the 10 girls.

12 hours ago, jluvah said:

This sounds an awful lot like another Auburn coach who was recently fired. 

IF this coach had an SEC championship, a BCS Championship game, and multiple wins over top ranked teams, in addition to having been here as an AC on a team that won a national title, I would recognize the similarity.  As it is, this coach looks nothing like the coach I believe you are referring to.....

14 minutes ago, AUJarhead said:

Funny you say that.  When my daughter attended the Elite Camp in 2019, right after the Summer AAU session in Atlanta ended, we noticed that Coach Flo and her assistants only cared about the 10 or so girls that one particular AAU coach brought in.  Paid no attention to the other 30 girls at the camp.  My daughter left the camp saying it was a disappointment.  They offered a girl going into 8th grade who was one of the 10 girls.

Sadly, those connections failed to produce.  If I was her brother, with the camps and contacts he has, I would have gone the extra mile to make certain that she had the talent to succeed.  Of course, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.

This explains who he is.

https://www.pilotonline.com/sports/college/article_f9a9a56a-db1b-553f-a7da-33baa0f73b09.html

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

FINALLY. 

I got tired of writing about her...TBO.😅

At least now we can begin speculating on a new list of candidates. I am not as familiar of the up and coming or established women coaches that we may target. 

It will be interesting to see how our AD views our WBB program...and how much they are willing to pay to upgrade the coaching.

31 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

At least now we can begin speculating on a new list of candidates.

@steeleagleWe've been doing that already in this thread for a few days.

Archived