Cristobal speaks

RunInRed

4 minutes ago, saminbama said:

We're being played.  Don't forget who is his agent.

Yep. This is my thought as well. Sexton is coaching him to do this and hold out for the highest bidder. He really doesn't care where he coaches- he's got it made at Oregon and/or/but A fat payday and chance in the SEC at Auburn would be icing.

8 hours ago, Viper said:

This. We may not get him, but the KEY thing he said was, "Hopefully in the next couple of days, there's more stuff to talk about as it relates to that."

That was an important part of the statement 

I really don't see an issue with his statement or his actions. If Oregon hadn't been elevated to the PAC 12 championship game he would already either be our coach or not, no in between.

He's in charge in this situation, and he's keeping his options open to do what's best for him and his family; nothing all of us wouldn't do as well if two sides were throwing obscene amounts of money at us.

1 hour ago, saminbama said:

We're being played.  Don't forget who is his agent.

Unless it's changed very recently, it's not Sexton.

9 hours ago, AURex said:

Personally, I see no reason Cristobal would want to leaver Oregon, unless it's all about money. But I don't think he's all about money. The Oregon job is a much more attractive situation for him.

Oregon is a beautiful place and the university and football facilities are top notch. But the expansive West Coast has to be fatiguing in recruiting. Imagine coaches having to constantly fly for hours to recruit. Those 5 hour flights turn in to 1-2 hour drives.  Also the PAC 12 continues to be more irrelevant relative to the SEC. 

6 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

But the expansive West Coast has to be fatiguing in recruiting. Imagine coaches having to constantly fly for hours to recruit. Those 5 hour flights turn in to 1-2 hour drives. 

Bingo. Draw a circle with a 650 mi radius around Auburn, and you're literally talking about half the potential NFL talent in the country. Maybe more. (650 mi is the distance between Auburn and Miami.) Draw that same circle around Eugene and you're lucky if you've got as much talent as the state of Alabama alone offers. 

Looking at the home towns of their recruits vs ours, it's a diaspora vs a neighborhood directory.

10 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I don't know what everyone's upset about. I thought his answer was as good as you could expect right now.

Eh, you know there are always gonna be those that get emotional over anything less than "OMG MY WIFE AND I GOT MATCHING CREED TATTOOS WDE 4EVA".

10 hours ago, Eisenhower_1952 said:

If I were Cristobal, I wouldn't to come to Auburn either and have to deal with Saban, Smart, and Jimbo every year. He can stay at Oregon be the top dog every year.

Some people shy away from circumstances like this, and dont want to test themselves.  Others, the likes of Saban and Smart want that type of competition, and thrive off of it.

To be the best, you have to beat the best.  Or you can stay in the Pac 12, face no competition, go undefeated and still not get talked about for the CFP.

i imagine mario had to put out something to the oregon family to someone pacify them in this situation whether he comes to auburn or not. we are not the only ones with a stake in this. and it is a fine line to please two different bases.

I would not even call this a "non-denial denial". It was more of a obfuscation and kick the can down the road.

This is the most positive thing I have seen, because it makes me believe Cristobal is at least being spoken to through his agent.

Cristobal is smart, and his agent is smart, and they both know how to speak around things so Cristobal can have plausible deniability.

The comment about Phil Knight is odd. Knight is obviously a huge donor, but he does not serve the university in any official capacity. "I trust Phil Knight" appears to be a call out to Phil to pony up more money to ensure Cristobal stays at Oregon. That suggests to me people are looking at Cristobal.

Archived