Men vs Texas State

toddc

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I think this was a good maturity game for them as well. The 3s weren't dropping like last game so they decided to drive and attack the basket. So many bright spots and the continuing growth of our young team. Can't wait to see how we stack up in conference play!

I feel better than at beginning of season as this team has grown, but it will still be up and down as even though we played what I thought was our most complete game we still had lapses where we had to many turn overs, a few defensive lapses, and horrible FT shooting. Using Flanagan at PG took some pressure off of Powell, we still need to be able to post and score inside or pass out from there. These are all things that Bruce is working on.  In 1st half especially we had some bad turnovers off of lazy passes Powell who I have been bragging on had two really bad ones but he showed maturity and improved. It is one thing when other team makes a great defense play and causes a turnover it is another when it is unforced. The second half was much cleaner you know Pearl and assistants talked about that at half and team listened and responded. That is two games in a row where we played ok or little less in 1st half but improved in second half. 

By second half of SEC season I think we will be a team nobody wants to play.

26 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I couldn’t watch— elaborate

Flanagan played pg tonight.  He pushed the ball quickly up.tje floor and slashed to the basket.  He makes for a good change up

• ellitor changed the title to Men vs Texas State

This team is growing up every game and getting better and better.  I am very happy with their progress so far.  This was basically a "from-scratch" team with only two guys that played any significant minutes last year and despite that and the covid restrictions they are really starting to gel.  I was singing praises on Powell when we signed him to anyone that would listen and man has he really impressed me.  I live in Lexington, Ky home of UK and have been telling my UK friends that they messed up ever since we signed him.  Now they really see how bad they whiffed on this kid.  The talent and effort is all there for Auburn, the only way I see them going is up as these young players come into their own.  It really is a treat to watch Coach Pearl's teams.  He is a great freaking coach in every aspect.  If you don't give 100% effort on both ends of the court you don't play, and the guys apparently have all bought-in.  I know we are really missing out on seeing what they could be with a true point guard running the floor, but Bruce has really put it together to make it work without Cooper.  Despite no tourney this year I think we are all in for a lot of fun watching this team play thru the regular season.    

they're finding ways to survive with only one guy that can really set up for others. BP has shown alot of us, incl me, that he can run more sets than he did earlier in his tenure. I love the off ball movement as well

there wasn't as many presses or traps this time around, but that's the one area I feel like our guys have to improve on off ball. im assuming alot of the time, they're already in the midst of their play before they look back and see Powell (or god forbid Tyrell) getting doubled

Ellitor, I saw that you changed the name to AU vs Texas State. We played Texas Southern (Tigers) not Texas State (Bobcats). I've never noticed how many similarities exist between the schools. Also, here's a link to the full game. 

Archived