Null

Management 101

tomcat

Why are Auburn coaching changes so messy and fraught with anxiety? If $10+ mil was being spent in January...followed by equal 4 year payments..one would think their would be alignment on the next coach. Seriously..1 fire Gus 2 identify and lock in replacement. 3 Announce new coach. Appear and act competent...not JABA. 

25 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Why are Auburn coaching changes so messy and fraught with anxiety? If $10+ mil was being spent in January...followed by equal 4 year payments..one would think their would be alignment on the next coach. Seriously..1 fire Gus 2 identify and lock in replacement. 3 Announce new coach. Appear and act competent...not JABA. 

Unless, for whatever reason, the replacement wants to wait until after the early signing period. 

My problem with this is if you are going to fire Gus this year why not do it after the A&M game? What benefit do you gain allowing him to coach against MSU? If he is fired then we could have possibly had a replacement in place in time for the early signing date. 

You gonna let Gus go and agree to pay the buyout you better have some very strong back channel interest from the replacement you want.  Not this search committee mess. What Auburn really needs is some leadership with balls. I want a leader who will stand up and say: “ I have exercised the option the release Coach Malzhan.  I am authorizing the payment of the money we agreed to under his contract.  I have hired the new head coach and he starts Monday morning.  I’m the one who is accountable. The buck stops here.”   

11 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

You gonna let Gus go and agree to pay the buyout you better have some very strong back channel interest from the replacement you want.  Not this search committee mess. What Auburn really needs is some leadership with balls. I want a leader who will stand up and say: “ I have exercised the option the release Coach Malzhan.  I am authorizing the payment of the money we agreed to under his contract.  I have hired the new head coach and he starts Monday morning.  I’m the one who is accountable. The buck stops here.”   

So what happens if the high dollar donors that have been too involved for too long get their fragile egos bruised by this decision? Think you're going to get a high dollar coaching staff in return? If Auburn hires Steele hell I'm more up to thinking your scenario actually happened.

Edited by smackydoodle

1 hour ago, smackydoodle said:

So what happens if the high dollar donors that have been too involved for too long get their fragile egos bruised by this decision? Think you're going to get a high dollar coaching staff in return? If Auburn hires Steele hell I'm more up to thinking your scenario actually happened.

It’s up to the athletic director to find the coach.  If the president and BOT don’t trust him to do that they shouldn’t have hired him.  The AD needs to conduct the interviews and come forward with the candidate he selected.  He should have already had a list of primary candidates before he let Gus go. If the president and BOT don’t like the one he selected then they need to ask him for another choice.  This whole search firm and committee BS is just the people who should be responsible trying to deny responsibility in case it doesn’t work out.  In other words cover their hind parts and waste time in the process.  Meanwhile the competition is out recruiting us, top players already on the team are going to start bailing out with the new transfer rules,  there is at least an offensive staff to assemble, there is a bowl game coming up in just over 2 weeks and spring practice (hopefully with a new offensive philosophy) is 3 months away.  I have been on more committees than I care to remember and they generally aren’t worth a crap.  Usually one or two strong personalities end up taking them over and whatever decisions they are tasked with making aren’t a whole lot better than just spinning the wheel of fortune.  Just my humble opinion I’m sure everyone else has one too.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

It’s up to the athletic director to find the coach.  If the president and BOT don’t trust him to do that they shouldn’t have hired him.  The AD needs to conduct the interviews and come forward with the candidate he selected.  He should have already had a list of primary candidates before he let Gus go. If the president and BOT don’t like the one he selected then they need to ask him for another choice.  This whole search firm and committee BS is just the people who should be responsible trying to deny responsibility in case it doesn’t work out.  In other words cover their hind parts and waste time in the process.  Meanwhile the competition is out recruiting us, top players already on the team are going to start bailing out with the new transfer rules,  there is at least an offensive staff to assemble, there is a bowl game coming up in just over 2 weeks and spring practice (hopefully with a new offensive philosophy) is 3 months away.  I have been on more committees than I care to remember and they generally aren’t worth a crap.  Usually one or two strong personalities end up taking them over and whatever decisions they are tasked with making aren’t a whole lot better than just spinning the wheel of fortune.  Just my humble opinion I’m sure everyone else has one too.  

I like where you are going with this. Several of us are going to form a committee and discuss your position.

We'll get back to you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, weagl1 said:

The search committee mess is just window dressing in my opinion.  I have a feeling the “back channel interest” is in place and there is a good reason for a delayed announcement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1