MAR enters Transfer Portal

RunInRed

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the Netflix Special "The Genius of Gus Malzahn" airs in 10-20 years....I hope they dive into this situation. I am curious as to why he didn't see  the field more this past season. Crazy.

14 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

So he's following a coach that didn't use him appropriately? 🤔

That’s what I’m thinking.  Why would he follow CGM when he barely saw the field with him at AU?

46 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

When the Netflix Special "The Genius of Gus Malzahn" airs in 10-20 years....I hope they dive into this situation. I am curious as to why he didn't see  the field more this past season. Crazy.

Because he was the 4th best running back on the roster last year, and he was injured the year before.

19 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

So he's following a coach that didn't use him appropriately? 🤔

There's a lot of turns here. 

We saw Gus yell at Caddy after he went in 

Reports Caddy doesn't think he's AN SEC back, so why did he go in? 

Now he's following Gus. Dizzy

34 minutes ago, cole256 said:

He probably is thinking if he can be the number 1 guy he doesn't have to ever worry about coming out for a sub

Worked for QB under Gus

6 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

My guess is he didn't play more because he was 4th string. With three guys better than you on the depth chart there aren't many snaps left.

5 hours ago, Mikey said:

My guess is he didn't play more because he was 4th string. With three guys better than you on the depth chart there aren't many snaps left.

When 2 of those 3 are injured you would think you would get some opportunities then. I don't know that the 3 other guys were ALL better, either.

11 hours ago, ScotsAU said:

Because he was the 4th best running back on the roster last year, and he was injured the year before.

I completely disagree with that, but let's say it's true....Why would he not see more reps when 2 of those 3 were banged up? 

I cannot imagine what their recent discussions must have sounded like.  I mean think about the sales job that Malzahn must have put on this kid.  "But coach why should I follow you to UCF when you would not play me at Auburn?"  " Well MAR you were not good enough to see the field at Auburn but you are good enough for UCF."  "That sounds good coach, where do I sign?"

42 minutes ago, casatiger said:

I cannot imagine what their recent discussions must have sounded like.  I mean think about the sales job that Malzahn must have put on this kid.  "But coach why should I follow you to UCF when you would not play me at Auburn?"  " Well MAR you were not good enough to see the field at Auburn but you are good enough for UCF."  "That sounds good coach, where do I sign?"

There is a saying about the devil you know being better than the unknown. (I'm not comparing Gus to the devil folks, just the situation) I imagine it's a little scary to know you want change but not sure what the change will bring. At least there's a little familiarity where he's going. To me this just says that MAR is aware of the reasons he didn't see the field much at all and apparently he doesn't blame Gus. 

I just remembered he's from West Palm. Maybe he just wasn't vibing with the whole Auburn thing and Orlando feels like a better fit for him as a person away from the field. 

Good football player. Hope it works out. 

When the best guy in the running back room is a true freshman, the odds of getting to shine your skills for the next level and elevate your game with reps is bleak.  That is why all the NFL caliber guys headed out, they were not gonna see the field enough

6 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

When the best guy in the running back room is a true freshman, the odds of getting to shine your skills for the next level and elevate your game with reps is bleak.  That is why all the NFL caliber guys headed out, they were not gonna see the field enough

I'm not sure any NFL caliber RBs left. Pretty sure Tank is the only one currently on our roster 

1 minute ago, auburnphan said:

True, but Tank only had 138 carries last season. RB2 had 62. Compare that to 156 and 84 the year before, with RB3 having 61 carries. (In both seasons, QB1 had ~100 "carries"- not sure how many of those were called pass plays that became scrambles or sacks, but it was more than a few.) 

It's not that the carries were given to better backs. We just didn't run the ball very much. In a way, though, it's not that different than previous years in that RB1 gets the vast majority of the carries, RB2 gets about half that many, and then there are some scraps for the other guys. Even when RB1 isn't healthy. 

46 minutes ago, casatiger said:

It easily could’ve been something like that tbh. He probably wasn’t good enough to see the fieled 

35 minutes ago, gr82be said:

There is a saying about the devil you know being better than the unknown. (I'm not comparing Gus to the devil folks, just the situation) I imagine it's a little scary to know you want change but not sure what the change will bring. At least there's a little familiarity where he's going. To me this just says that MAR is aware of the reasons he didn't see the field much at all and apparently he doesn't blame Gus. 

That’s what I am thinking too. I think people just think Gus didn’t use him because he had blinders on. The hard truth could’ve been we had two or three guys better. Well now, this young man can walk into a situation where he is the primary RB under a staff he knows .

Archived