Sarkisian to interview

RunInRed

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Seems like a strange hill to die on, Belle

It's only strange to those who are ignorant about addiction which is most people here apparently.

I'm furious that Auburn would even consider this guy. He is a huge risk. 

And that other coach that I said had serious issues and was a disaster waiting to happen? Turns out I was right. Auburn dodged a huge bullet that was closer to hitting it's mark than most people knew.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Former drunk here 👋

Put down the booze over 25 years ago. Never touched it again. I don’t consider myself an addict anymore.

I see it happen all the time, it’s not that unusual. 
I’m not saying Sark is my #1 choice, but I wouldn’t hold his past against him if he’s clean in the present.

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

It's only strange to those who are ignorant about addiction which is most people here apparently.

And that other coach that I said had serious issues and was a disaster waiting to happen? Turns out I was right. Auburn dodged a huge bullet that was closer to hitting it's mark than most people knew.

At what point would you be comfortable hiring Sark? 10 years sober? 20? Or are we writing addicts off completely?

13 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

He will ALWAYS be an addict. It is a lifelong disease. There is no cure. And addicts have relapses after long periods of sobriety EVERY DAY.That's why the fight to stay sober is so hard and addicts have to stay away from what caused them to use in the first place. THIS is why I have doubts. 

This is so stupid. You do know people beat alcoholism every day right? Just like people quit smoking and quit other addictive habits. Your reasons for having doubts about him are the most disgraceful I’ve ever seen. I sure hope no one in your family ever struggles with this, cause they will clearly get no support from you. People change. People grow. People get stronger, and they become a better version of themself with a testimony. Unfortunately holier than thou people like you make it that much harder on them because people like you are stuck in the past and never give them a chance. Please grow the hell up. 

8 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Former addict here who’s been written off more times than I can count and told to my face that I was a “loser who will never make anything of myself”. I began turning my life around at that exact moment, got clean/sober and am now extremely successful in my field. I’m able to give my wife and children a life that I never would’ve dreamed of growing up.

You’re very clearly ignorant and your past few posts are some of the worst I’ve seen on any message board over the past decade. 

3 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Former drunk here 👋

Put down the booze over 25 years ago. Never touched it again. I don’t consider myself an addict anymore.

I see it happen all the time, it’s not that unusual. 
I’m not saying Sark is my #1 choice, but I wouldn’t hold his past against him if he’s clean in the present.

That's good and I'm sincerely happy for you. It would be so nice if all people with addiction issues could have your success with a long term recovery.

But you would not be able to go out and drink ever again without serious risk. That risk is always with you because of your brain chemistry. There is also a genetic component with some people. That's why addiction is considered a lifelong disease. 

Addiction is a HEALTH problem.....brain chemistry and/or genetics.....not a moral issue. And that's what people don't get. Telling the truth about it is not an indictment about someone's life but it is an accurate description of what kind of disease addiction is and how it can have an impact. 

37 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You know you are the one ignorant about recovery. I am a person of long term recovery and you may be shocked to know recovery makes us stronger more capable. I have taught as a special education teacher in an inner city school for the last 18 years including during a pandemic and handle the stress just fine without need for a drink. Your belief that people in recovery are somehow damaged and incapable is faulty. Sarkisian is proving it on the field tonight showing just what he is  capable of. We would  do well to have him as a coach and our offense would improve instantly. 

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

That's good and I'm sincerely happy for you. It would be so nice if all people with addiction issues could have your success with a long term recovery.

But you would not be able to go out and drink ever again without serious risk. That risk is always with you because of your brain chemistry. There is also a genetic component with some people. That's why addiction is considered a lifelong disease. 

Addiction is a HEALTH problem.....brain chemistry and/or genetics.....not a moral issue. And that's what people don't get. Telling the truth about it is not an indictment about someone's life but it is an accurate description of what kind of disease addiction is and how it can have an impact. 

You’re right about the physical side of addiction. That’s a real issue. Those issues can be overcome, Ive seen people overcome their addictions for over 20 years.

Each person is different,
I have no desire whatsoever to go have a drink.

10 minutes ago, chimes said:

Former addict here who’s been written off more times than I can count and told to my face that I was a “loser who will never make anything of myself”. I began turning my life around at that exact moment, got clean/sober and am now extremely successful in my field. I’m able to give my wife and children a life that I never would’ve dreamed of growing up.

Congrats to you. That's awesome. 

20 minutes ago, chimes said:

You’re very clearly ignorant and your past few posts are some of the worst I’ve seen on any message board over the past decade. 

Good for you man. WDE. 

54 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Nobody is punishing him. That's a stupid remark. He has been given every break in the world and has really suffered very little. Most addicts do not land in such a cushy life. He has received kid gloves treatment by everyone. I know MANY people who have been sober 20 years and then succumbed to their addiction again. 5 years means nothing. He will always be an addict and how he manages it is up to the choices he makes for the rest of his life.

Belle, I feel as though this is more of a personal issue as it pertains to what you may be dealing with or have dealt with.  Not saying you but a close family person.  I hope I'm not over-stepping but to be objective, Sarkisian, by all accounts, changed his life years ago when reaching rock bottom.  No alcoholic/addict should be denied redemption IF they have shown a pattern of successful recovery.  

I honestly pray you aren't dealing with these issues with a loved one, but your responses to Sarkisian in this thread seem as though you are angry with someone that has an addiction issue, and it ain't Sark.   I hope and pray that is not the case, and that if it is, those folks will get the help they need.   With the right treatment and support, many folks can overcome their sickness and become fantastic members of society.  We should praise those that do, and by all accounts, Sarkisian has been successful in his recovery for many years now.

2 minutes ago, chimes said:

I'm most certainly not ignorant and you are clearly not objective. You have no idea what my experiences are. 

I know a surgeon who is now no longer performing surgeries because the stress was unmanageable for him and he became a raging alcoholic. He still practices medicine but he is no longer in charge of surgery at his hospital and he does not operate on people. He knows his limits now and as much as he misses surgery he KNOWS he can't live that life anymore and remain sober. This is the type of scenario that I am talking about. I would not call that Dr a successful surgeon and he wouldn't either...but he is a successful Dr. now. 

31 minutes ago, chimes said:

Keep up the good work, my guy.  There are many, many successful people who recovered from an addiction.  I understand it is a daily process but those that have been to the bottom, are some of the greatest folks I have ever met.   They have seen hell, and want no part of it.    I applaud your efforts and ask that you not get fired up by someone posting messages that are obviously a projection of their life events.  

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

He will ALWAYS be an addict. It is a lifelong disease. There is no cure. And addicts have relapses after long periods of sobriety EVERY DAY.That's why the fight to stay sober is so hard and addicts have to stay away from what caused them to use in the first place. THIS is why I have doubts. 

You got a degree in psychology? Everything you’ve said so far speaks of someone speaking out their butt, but I’d love to see if you have any kind of expertise 

10 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I'm most certainly not ignorant and you are clearly not objective. You have no idea what my experiences are. 

I know a surgeon who is now no longer performing surgeries because the stress was unmanageable for him and he became a raging alcoholic. He still practices medicine but he is no longer in charge of surgery at his hospital and he does not operate on people. He knows his limits now and as much as he misses surgery he KNOWS he can't live that life anymore and remain sober. This is the type of scenario that I am talking about. I would not call that Dr a successful surgeon and he wouldn't either...but he is a successful Dr. now. 

You have no idea what Sark’s experiences are. You’re just blindly attributing a personal experience to him and then judging him for someone’s experience. And then you say you aren’t ignorant? You literally have no idea how well he’s doing. For all you know he hasn’t thought about a drink in half a decade. But you’re taking his past (and someone else’s) and saying he will never recover and should not be given another chance. 

15 minutes ago, USATiger said:

...  I understand it is a daily process but those that have been to the bottom, are some of the greatest folks I have ever met.   They have seen hell, and want no part of it...

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I attack every single day with a chip on my shoulder, and a real appreciation for what God has blessed me with. 

Archived