Hang tight guys ...

RunInRed

So did Steele inexplicably throw Games like Tennessee to ease this s*** along?

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dilligas said:

Just to clarify my post, I was saying Gus is irrelevant as in it could have been any head coach and the acts of his subordinates undermining him is unacceptable.  FWIW I think very highly of Gus.

I gotcha.

I’d just seen a couple other similar statements and yours was most recent. 

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You are the one who brought up Gus 😂

And a coordinator undermining a HC isnt exactly unheard of. 

Fact is we need a culture change. 

Gus NEEDED to go, as does the staff. Steele included. 

No I didn’t.  I responded to someone who brought up Gus.  I agree we need to clean house.

14 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

If Steele helped along the way, then Malzahn's coaching didn't do it on its own.

For better or worse, you let a coach succeed or fail on his merits. You don't actively undermine him.

And those merits warranted firing. 

Or do you need me to post just how bad it was? I can... 

IF Steele helped along the way, all he did was speed up the inevitable.

I hate to be that guy but woukd someone be kind enough to summarize this thread? Steele is less likely or more likely to be our next coach?

If this is true about Steele and if he's not named head coach--and I certainly hope he is not--I would think his time at Auburn is over. Would a new head coach want to keep someone on staff who may have undermined the previous coach? 

I am still very skeptical to the extent Steele undermined Gus. Slimy back room conversations are one thing.

But what, do you think he lost recruiting battles on purpose? So he could take over a bare cupboard? He threw games? If anybody looks like they were throwing games it was the offense.

Sabotaging Gus would be totally unnecessary. He sabotaged himself.

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

And those merits warranted firing. 

Or do you need me to post just how bad it was? I can... 

IF Steele helped along the way, all he did was speed up the inevitable.

Never said he didn't deserve firing. I said if Steele helped then it wasn't solely due to Gus' coaching. 

From the tone of your comment, it appears you are comfortable with what Steele did, regardless of how it may have poisoned the program. Is this correct?

1 minute ago, Randy4AU said:

If this is true about Steele and if he's not named head coach--and I certainly hope he is not--I would think his time at Auburn is over. Would a new head coach want to keep someone on staff who may have undermined the previous coach? 

It would already be over. No coach thought to be the PTBs favorite would stay after the fans have made it CLEAR they dont want him as HC. 

23 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Gus didnt need to be undermined by a 2 year plot. 

His coaching did it all on his own. 

If steele helped that along the way, c'est la vie

Was Gus aware that Steele and Garner were undermining him?  If so, he should have fired them publicly and named names of boosters or BOT involved.  Yes, it would have cost him his job but he would have gotten more respect and probably won a healthy law suit. 

5 minutes ago, Randy4AU said:

I’m assuming that’s a rhetorical question? 🤣

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What kind of person would want to come here and be involved in this bull****? We are screwed finding a coach. 

If this upheaval removes the people that were in power, the opening is still enticing IMO. New coach gets full autonomy with no meddling? Sounds like a good deal to me. 

2 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Never said he didn't deserve firing. I said if Steele helped then it wasn't solely due to Gus' coaching. 

From the tone of your comment, it appears you are comfortable with what Steele did, regardless of how it may have poisoned the program. Is this correct?

Am I comfortable with what he is said to have done? Absolutely not. 

Am I comfortable with the PTB having SO much direct influence over the program? Absolutely not

Am I comfortable with gus being fired? I felt like it was an early Christmas present. Am I going to cry over spilled milk? Nope. It got the results I desired. 

Of course I feel the allegations are slimy and i hope the entire board is replaced if true. But again. It got the results I desired. And IF it means an end to the BS that goes on behind the scenes at Auburn? I will be glad it happened. 

However, IF is one of the biggest words in the dictionary...

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Was Gus aware that Steele and Garner were undermining him?  If so, he should have fired them publicly and named names of boosters or BOT involved.  Yes, it would have cost him his job but he would have gotten more respect and probably won a healthy law suit. 

Apparently the word is that Gus caught wind of it, confronted them, they apologized, but continued to go behind his back. 

Gus even apparently went to Gouge a few weeks before he was fired about just this but Gus didnt have anyone in his corner by that time. 

This makes me feel a bit sorry for Gus, then I remember that he's getting millions of $$$ for being a mediocre coach.

IF this turns out as true, I bet the turning point was the 2017 LSU game. 

I believe it was Josh Pate on the Late Kick who said a veteran coach on our team told him "we are all going to lose our jobs over this"

I mean I dont know thats when it started but the timing would make sense

Archived