Two names I’d keep your eyes on

RunInRed

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Things have changed? As much as I'd like to be optimistic (though for me, these are really not my preferred candidates), I read "things have changed" and I wonder if that can really be the case. What would have changed? I don't mean the offers of money and so on. I mean what would have changed as far as Auburn and the meddling powers that be? Suddenly everyone decides to put egos asode, work together and pull in the same direction? That would be a first.

I expect that the thing that gets in the way for some candidates boils down to realities that a lot of AU fans don't see. I get that it's not popular to say these kinds of things with respect to Gus Malzahn but an outsider sees a coach with eight seasons, no losing records, three wins against Saban, two SEC West titles, one SEC Championship outright and an appearance in the national championship game which AU came within a whisker of winning. And at the end of a COVID-19 season that's unprecedented, that coach manages to navigate to a winning record against a 100 percent SEC schedule. And then he gets fired. 

Wonder who looks in at that and says "Yup, there's a fan base and an admin in touch with reality. I can't wait to jump into that!"?

Maybe things have changed. Maybe AU comes out of this smelling like the world's sweetest and most beautiful rose. But so far the way it's gone is about like I expected back when I was telling the "Fire Gus!" crowd to be careful what they wish for.  I sure hope that it all turns out great. I don't want AU to become Rocky Top on the Plains.

“Be careful what you wish for” takes zero thought or rationale. You can say that about anything on this earth. 

1 minute ago, aub4life said:

Still hoping to hear some good news/follow up on RIR’s post.  Took the bright morning sun as a hopeful sign 😏

Yesterday was the shortest day of a horrible year. Hope springs eternal.

Just now, woodford said:

“Be careful what you wish for” takes zero thought or rationale. You can say that about anything on this earth. 

Actually, where AU is concerned, for those of us old enough there is plenty of thought and rationale behind it. But whatever...

7 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Actually, where AU is concerned, for those of us old enough there is plenty of thought and rationale behind it. But whatever...

Indeed. 

19 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

So just hold on to Gus regardless because the opposite could be a negative response? How do you expect the program to get any better?

I think the power brokers are selfish and ignorant and they are the constant variable in all this, but in order for Auburn to get better, the chance must be taken on a new coach. 

Just seeing this post, but between RIRs post last night and then this thread, I am hoping for good news.

I still hold my ground and think there is a lot going on that NO ONE is privy to, and I hope whatever it is, is good for Auburn University.

1 hour ago, Ausburn2 said:

As the World Turns...... watch out for that Lisa

rNyNWvfQGwEPY1Ad9SCBy7BYH2Vkv1FQDrJNhLPc

You know the funny thing about it? I grew up with 2 sisters who watched the soaps and I would poke fun at them...but I was just as abreast on what the storylines were as they were! 🤣

13 minutes ago, woodford said:

So just hold on to Gus regardless because the opposite could be a negative response? How do you expect the program to get any better?

I think the power brokers are selfish and ignorant and they are the constant variable in all this, but in order for Auburn to get better, the chance must be taken on a new coach. 

I was a regular poster here for close to a decade (old account that I couldn’t remember the pw to) and finally had to step away about 2 years ago due to the blind support of Gus. There were maybe a handful of guys here who saw the writing on the wall- Gus was in over his head and the boat was taking on water. He HAD to go but there was no way anyone could’ve or should’ve expected the absolute cluster**** that would follow. As miserable as the past week has been, I haven’t thought once “Man, maybe we should’ve stuck with Gus “

1 hour ago, chizhead said:

This reminds me of back when I was a child and my mama was hooked on soap operas. Just hang on day after day

My mother, grandmother, aunts were ALL hooked on their "stories."  Days of Our Lives/As the World Turns/The Young and the Restless (my grandmother was in love with Victor Newman)/Guiding Light/All My Children/General Hospital.  

8 minutes ago, chimes said:

. As miserable as the past week has been, I haven’t thought once “Man, maybe we should’ve stuck with Gus “

So much this. The idea of keeping Gus because the alternative could be worse is an absolute TRASH take. I haven’t thought that once. The whole thing has been a disaster but I’m more intrigued to the football program than I have been in years. Swinging and missing on Bill Clark is more fun than watching one more game with Gus. 

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

I expect that the thing that gets in the way for some candidates boils down to realities that a lot of AU fans don't see. I get that it's not popular to say these kinds of things with respect to Gus Malzahn but an outsider sees a coach with eight seasons, no losing records, three wins against Saban, two SEC West titles, one SEC Championship outright and an appearance in the national championship game which AU came within a whisker of winning. And at the end of a COVID-19 season that's unprecedented, that coach manages to navigate to a winning record against a 100 percent SEC schedule. And then he gets fired. 

I can assure you that none of the above mentioned has had any affect on the coaching candidates that Auburn wanted. If it did then Auburn didn’t want him. He’d be a loser. I know people looking in probably think the fan base is out of touch but we’re not. The things that have been speculated to have happened... did happen. It’s just that simple. 

Gus needed to go, period.  I'd have to imagine there are more than a dozen former AU family members laughing their asses off this week though.  Leath/Jacobs/Tubs/Bowden/Chiz/Malzhan, they all know how Auburn operates.

I will never be upset that we fired Gus. He absolutely needed to go. Not firing him because we might get someone worse is an absolute loser’s mentality. Having said that, if Greene pulls this off he serves a place on our Mt. Rushmore right next to Bruce

5 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I will never be upset that we fired Gus. He absolutely needed to go. Not firing him because we might get someone worse is an absolute loser’s mentality. Having said that, if Greene pulls this off he serves a place on our Mt. Rushmore right next to Bruce

Why does anyone thing Greene can pull off anything?

The talk for days was he was not in charge, and he simply was involved in the process but the names and requirements put out were coming from the PTB.

Now there was talk that Greene put his foot down, and took control when things started to fall apart, but there is no way the money people are sitting back and accepting that...

So much misinformation. No way clarity of purpose can come from it. 

I don't think Greene put his foot down as much as it became obvious that the people running the 3 ring circus were looking for a way to sneak back into their little hole and let someone else take over.  These guys were embarrassed as they should be and Greene filled the leadership vacuum.  Fairly astute on his part in my opinion and they have no leg to stand on because they were exposed for their incompetence.   He has gained a little power because of it and can gain more with the right hire.  I am rooting for him!   Sadly, the snakes come back out of their holes if it is the wrong hire.  

8 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The talk for days was he was not in charge, and he simply was involved in the process but the names and requirements put out were coming from the PTB.

Now there was talk that Greene put his foot down, and took control when things started to fall apart, but there is no way the money people are sitting back and accepting that...

I don’t know what to think because there is so much contradictory information out there. I also don’t care. Just like a little bit of hope is all

2 minutes ago, casatiger said:

I don't think Greene put his foot down as much as it became obvious that the people running the 3 ring circus were looking for a way to sneak back into their little hole and let someone else take over.  These guys were embarrassed as they should be and Greene filled the leadership vacuum.  Fairly astute on his part in my opinion and they have no leg to stand on because they were exposed for their incompetence.   He has gained a little power because of it and can gain more with the right hire.  I am rooting for him!   Sadly, the snakes come back out of their holes if it is the wrong hire.  

But if there was stipulations bc of the current coaches, or bc there was any truth to the fact that the new HC would not report directly to the AD, then I don't see how AG, even given back some control of the process, can recover from the damage done.

I just don't see any hire being an upgrade from Gus now. 

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I sure agree

14 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Now there was talk that Greene put his foot down, and took control when things started to fall apart, but there is no way the money people are sitting back and accepting that..

I believe it to be the opposite. The BOT and boosters have caused such a mess, that they're passing it off to Greene to clean up. 

Archived