Two names I’d keep your eyes on

RunInRed

7 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

But if there was stipulations bc of the current coaches, or bc there was any truth to the fact that the new HC would not report directly to the AD, then I don't see how AG, even given back some control of the process, can recover from the damage done.

I just don't see any hire being an upgrade from Gus now. 

Well, he can let them choose their own staff which is a pretty easy thing to do.   The meddling booster situation is not exclusive to Auburn.  That is where annual salary and buyout amount comes into play.  The coaches responsibility is to win.  Winning brings power like nothing else.  

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I sure hope there's a chance to reclaim our leading candidates. One thing about universities: the AD can make the hire, but he has to consult with the president and the board to get clearance. But if he wants to be bold, he can tell the trustees it's his job to name someone and theirs to approve.

Maybe he's done that. I doubt any of us know or ever will know for sure. But he has that option. 

All of the chaos, controversy, drama and mayhem stirred up by this coaching search makes me want to change jobs.  Let's see...I want to make lots of money with little care for ethics.  I don't have a law degree, nor any interest in politicks, so, I think, maybe, a sports agent might be a good fit?

1 hour ago, woodford said:

So just hold on to Gus regardless because the opposite could be a negative response? How do you expect the program to get any better?

Dear Lord, I don't know how many different ways there are to explain things and I don't know how many folks from how many places need to try before people who refuse to see will see. I reckon it's impossible. You ever think that at AU, the root of the issue that keeps on ending in the same result all the way back to Bowden might just be something other than the name of the head coach?

While I'm at it, I want to say I have come to wonder just what the age of many posting here is. I hear what a disaster Chiz was. Well, it ended in disaster but in his time here he brought AU it's first national championship since 1957. And Gus in my estimation, given what he was up against, actually did OK. I won't post the link to Josh Pate again because I don't think a lot of folks here are willing to consider what he had to say when Malzahn was fired. Me? I listened to him and what I heard rang true. But again...whatever.

Y'all hold your breath for Cristobal or Sark. Maybe it will happen. I seriously doubt it. But hey...miracles.

10 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Dear Lord, I don't know how many different ways there are to explain things and I don't know how many folks from how many places need to try before people who refuse to see will see. I reckon it's impossible. You ever think that at AU, the root of the issue that keeps on ending in the same result all the way back to Bowden might just be something other than the name of the head coach?

While I'm at it, I want to say I have come to wonder just what the age of many posting here is. I hear what a disaster Chiz was. Well, it ended in disaster but in his time here he brought AU it's first national championship since 1957. And Gus in my estimation, given what he was up against, actually did OK. I won't post the link to Josh Pate again because I don't think a lot of folks here are willing to consider what he had to say when Malzahn was fired. Me? I listened to him and what I heard rang true. But again...whatever.

Y'all hold your breath for Cristobal or Sark. Maybe it will happen. I seriously doubt it. But hey...miracles.

Here’s the thing, CleCo; Gus has been let go for the very reason that got rid of Tubs and Chizic which is PTB meddling.  We get it, but Gus was that sacrificial lamb the might bring some needed change.  The PTB likes to get under qualified (up and coming) coaches that are beholding to them and remind that coach at regular intervals until that coach has had enough.  Gus was not going to overcome his deficiencies and it was time for him to go.  It’s done. Over. He isn’t coming back, but he might have served his purpose for real change at Auburn.

Does Auburn want to go to the next level?  It’s up to the PTB and I am hopeful they do.  This coaching hire will tell us where we are headed.

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Here’s the thing, CleCo; Gus has been let go for the very reason that got rid of Tubs and Chizic which is PTB meddling.  We get it, but Gus was that sacrificial lamb the might bring some needed change.  The PTB likes to get under qualified (up and coming) coaches that are beholding to them and remind that coach at regular intervals until that coach has had enough.  Gus was not going to overcome his deficiencies and it was time for him to go.  It’s done. Over. He isn’t coming back, but he might have served his purpose for real change at Auburn.

Does Auburn want to go to the next level?  It’s up to the PTB and I am hopeful they do.  This coaching hire will tell us where we are headed.

Plus gus wasn't some world beater who was fired for no reason. Even if he was slightly hamstrung, his guru coaching on his side of the ball was the ultimate factor. 

31 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

In my opinion, 2010 was less about Chizik/Malzahan and more about Cam Newton. I believe if they have, literally, any other starting QB from the NCAA they would have managed to lose at least two games. Also, 2013 was more Marshall, Mason, and full grown men across the offensive line. 

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Why does anyone thing Greene can pull off anything?

The talk for days was he was not in charge, and he simply was involved in the process but the names and requirements put out were coming from the PTB.

Now there was talk that Greene put his foot down, and took control when things started to fall apart, but there is no way the money people are sitting back and accepting that...

So much misinformation. No way clarity of purpose can come from it. 

Thank you

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

But if there was stipulations bc of the current coaches, or bc there was any truth to the fact that the new HC would not report directly to the AD, then I don't see how AG, even given back some control of the process, can recover from the damage done.

I just don't see any hire being an upgrade from Gus now. 

Yeah, I firmly believe that Cristobal courtship is gone for good.  How the hell could AD Greene go back to him with a different story now?  Once the PTB set the stipulations that the HC wouldn't be able to control his own staff, they drew a line in the sand and it was a total turn off.

This is an exercise in futility much like this search has been conducted.  Once word got out who was calling the shots and what Auburn is all about even the Sunbelt/CUSA candidates wanted no part of it.  The Tiger's out of the bag now and it can't be wrangled back in.  How could anyone trust an Auburn representative?

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Why does anyone thing Greene can pull off anything?

The talk for days was he was not in charge, and he simply was involved in the process but the names and requirements put out were coming from the PTB.

Now there was talk that Greene put his foot down, and took control when things started to fall apart, but there is no way the money people are sitting back and accepting that...

So much misinformation. No way clarity of purpose can come from it. 

Just trying to see if I can properly express what we're all feeling about the search. It seems that the biggest frustration is that Greene isn't allowed to do his job. So, in effect....the Plainsmen's pain comes mainly from no AD?

The reason Greene isn't allowed to do his job is because of interference from the BOT, the most prominent and powerful of which has heavy influence on everything the University does, meaning.....Terrain across the plains is stained with Rane.

Hope that helped.

1 hour ago, TigerFanAU said:

I believe it to be the opposite. The BOT and boosters have caused such a mess, that they're passing it off to Greene to clean up. 

Too late, Auburn now has no credibility.  They can TRY to get Greene to clean up their mess, but how could a HC candidate trust that the same PTB won't can Greene any time they want and take back the reigns.  

13 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Regardless what you’re seeing reported:

Sark

Mario

Things have changed.  Let’s see if ADAG can pull this off.

i appreciate the updates. as a suck up what can i get you for christmas?  lol

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

I remember hearing bammers on the radio sad and outraged Mike Shula was let go. Why? Because he did OK.

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

Too late, Auburn now has no credibility.  They can TRY to get Greene to clean up their mess, but how could a HC candidate trust that the same PTB won't can Greene any time they want and take back the reigns.

agree. Napier will never be a AU candidate again. AU boosters and board spooked him. Same with venables and likely cristobal.

Napier will be the next coach at Bama. If you don’t believe it, read the 2018 SI article about him that was posted earlier in this thread. Take the guys that opted out or said no and move on. If you don’t want to be here, we don’t need you. If the door was left open and they can now make their own hires, then talk to them again. Kiffin will beat Bama some will his Offense old or can he evolve? 

1 minute ago, OB4AU said:

Napier will be the next coach at Bama. If you don’t believe it, read the 2018 SI article about him that was posted earlier in this thread. Take the guys that opted out or said no and move on. If you don’t want to be here, we don’t need you. If the door was left open and they can now make their own hires, then talk to them again. Kiffin will beat Bama some will his Offense old or can he evolve? 

Uh, yeah we do.  We need a Cristobal/Napier type hire here and they likely wanted to be here until they were confused about who they'd actually answer to, and were told they wouldn't have full control of their own staff.

These are smart men in the coaching profession, they won't be fooled by Allen Greene coming back "hat in hand" attempting to make promises that He's their boss and they can hire whomever they want only after a day or two being told the exact opposite. 

AD's come and go, Coaches come and go; the BOT & Big money men stay. 

Archived