Auburn closing in on Bryan Harsin

Tony4AU

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Understand y'all keep trying to say this to spin some sort of positive here, but no. He's been slaughtering lambs at a long successful mid-major built by Chris Petersen.

This may work out and I'm fully behind him come hell or high water, but there's little to he excited about here. This is an underwhelming hire. 

And what did you say when chizik or Gus was hired?

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

You are using the wrong info to convince me. I thought Napier and Clark were risky, unimpressive hires. The difference between them though...

1. Napier and Clark built programs that were historically bad, while Harsin has actually had the worst record at Boise of any of their recent coaches. It isn’t hard to win to the level he has at Boise. 

2. Recruiting... Clark knows a lot of the high school head coaches in Alabama, and is well connected. His ability to recruit is believed to be a contributor to the Alabama board of trustees’ decision to end the football program. Napier spent time on Saban’s staff, and is also believed to be a good recruiter. Both of these have also recruited in Alabama and Georgia before. 

To the guy who facepalmed this, how about actually giving me reasons why you think this is wrong. All I see is a guy that I don’t believe will be able to recruit that won games at a program that has dominated the mountain west for a long time. 

Woooooo!!!!!! Yessssssirrrr!!!!! **** you **** you fuuuuuck youuuuu boosters!!!!! Allen Greene and gogue saved us from promoting kevin freaking steele last week!!! Never won less than 9 games a season at boise. 

Come in people!!! By far the most accomplished head coach we have ever hired. I like that he has no ties to Auburn. No scratch that love it!!! He's no good ol boy!!! Very very good hire. 

19 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Freeze was offered again but turned it down at 3pm today

Do not believe that. Check RIR's post...

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/174218-freeze-warning/

3 hours ago, RunInRed said:

21 infractions at Ole Miss.  Not eligible to return to this conference.  

If not for our stupid boosters we could've easily had Napier...if this guy flops do we have any confidence in the PTB to come up with a strong replacement?!

3 minutes ago, Browning4AU said:

People think AU deserves a splash hire. The reality is, in my lifetime, Malzahn actually probably was the biggest splash. Dye was hired 3 years before I was born, Tater Tot was not a splash, Tuberville made more of a splash getting into politics than getting hired to AU, and Chiz.....nah. 

As hard as it is, I'm trying to remain optimistic, but was hoping for something better. 

We fired Malzahn who had a winning record every season he was here in a weird year where coaching shake ups just aren’t happening. If you are going to do something like that, it BETTER be a splash hire. From what I’m seeing in his resume, this guy isn’t going to bring us to the next level like people seem to want. 

To people not agreeing with this hire, what guarentee is there that a big name coach can win in the SEC?  Considering  the other candidates, who among them has proven to be a better coach? You can speculate all you want about woulda, coulda, shoulda but truth be told we coulda ended up with Kevin Steele or worse.

Its nonsense to categorize this hire as aweful.  Much better than CGM, CGC, CTB, CTT and even a better record to our legend Coach Dye. Give the guy a chance before pouring salt over him.

4 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

Sec west head coaches. 

Alabama- nick Saban 

Arkansas- Sam Pittman 

Texas am- jimbo fisher 

Lsu- ed orgeron [has a national title]

Auburn-... Bryan Harsin 

Mississippi state- Mike leach 

Ole miss- lane kiffin 

If I was a recruit, no way would I choose auburn over any of those schools. Maybe Arkansas, we are the laughing stock of the SEC. Pathetic 

If he hires good, reputable assistants recruiting may not be based on his name alone. If he happens to win and show advancement in the program, his name will certainly start to carry water. 

I think we all need to wait and see. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

You are an a**hole but that made me laugh 

I mean out of Boise States last 3 head coaches, his winning percentage is number three. Let’s go get them coach! 

12 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Chatter elsewhere says he was asked to retain Steele and Gardner....

I’m ok with that.  They’re good coaches and our D and D line have been OK to very good.  Hope they support the HC this time and not coddle up to Jimmy Rane any more.

Auburn is Auburn we are going to recruit in the top 10-12 most season's. You absolutely cannot knock his recruiting yet because he has never been a head coach at a school that he has a legit chance to get 4 star guys. Chizik and gus had really good recruiting staffs. I expect the same here.

36 minutes ago, mdp5150 said:

The good news is the last coach averaged an 8-5 record. 
Now let’s steal Kendall Briles as OC

And grab Derek Mason as DC and let's roll.

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

And what did you say when chizik or Gus was hired?

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers"

11 minutes ago, e808 said:

Not a good hire. He wont be able to recruit. Boise State is the cream of the crop in the mountain west and will always be hard to beat. However, Boise State just got waxed by San Jose State. I give will give him 3 to 5 years. Boise State beating Florida State means nothing. They are horrendous right now. I am on the west coast and have watched a lot of Boise football. Mountain West and SEC is like night and day. He was good at Boise but not Chris Peterson good. 

Funny considering every Tom, Dick, and Harry wanted to take Petersen from Boise State and when Harsin took his place after he went to Washington they didn’t really miss a beat. Don’t be a Debbie Downer. 

4 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Woooooo!!!!!! Yessssssirrrr!!!!! **** you **** you fuuuuuck youuuuu boosters!!!!! Allen Greene and gogue saved us from promoting kevin freaking steele last week!!! Never won less than 9 games a season at boise. 

Come in people!!! By far the most accomplished head coach we have ever hired. I like that he has no ties to Auburn. No scratch that love it!!! He's no good ol boy!!! Very very good hire. 

If Gwill approves, then I guess so do I. 

1 minute ago, tbone4jc said:

To people not agreeing with this gore, what guarentee is there that a big name coach can win in the SEC. Considering  the other candidates who among them has proven to be a better coach? You can speculate all you want about woulda, coulda, shoulda but truth be told we coulda ended up with Kevin Steele of worse. Its nonsense to categorize this here as aweful.  Much better than CGM, CGC, CTB, CTT and even a better record to our legend Coach Dye. Give the guy a chance before pouring salt over him.

We agree on something?!! My oh my what a glorious day it is!! Lol

4 minutes ago, drewzums343 said:

Sec west head coaches. 

Alabama- nick Saban 

Arkansas- Sam Pittman 

Texas am- jimbo fisher 

Lsu- ed orgeron [has a national title]

Auburn-... Bryan Harsin 

Mississippi state- Mike leach 

Ole miss- lane kiffin 

If I was a recruit, no way would I choose auburn over any of those schools. Maybe Arkansas, we are the laughing stock of the SEC. Pathetic 

This. I'm willing to give the man support but I'm concerned about recruiting. Maybe he opens up TX and the west but are we going to see anything from the area vs these names?

Other than that immediate concern, I'll give him a chance.

@aubearcat save this post and we will revisit this in 3 years. I live in Hawaii and love Auburn. I have seen Boise State up close in personal more than most. Playing power 5 teams every now and then is different form on a weekly basis. I hope he proves me wrong.

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Some of y'all are crapping on this guy without knowing a damn thing.

Harsin has a winning record vs Power 5 opponents while at Boise (7-6).  Dude is taking a bunch of 2 and 3 star recruits and beating Power 5 teams across the country.  Yet some of y'all think he's not good enough?  GTFOH

I cannot deny this in my case.  It’s just that it feels like you finally got to first base with the prom queen only to find out she stuffs her bra.  

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

If Gwill approves, then I guess so do I. 

Hahahaha I'm shocked this many people are against it!!! We hired a very accomplished sitting head coach at a known program.

2 minutes ago, dilligas said:

I’m ok with that.  They’re good coaches and our D and D line have been OK to very good.  Hope they support the HC this time and not coddle up to Jimmy Rane any more.

No, this means they’re still pulling the strings. I do not want two coaches who conspired to usurp the head coach in a power play anywhere near the program. 

Archived