Welcome to the Plains Coach Harsin (Merged)

mdp5150

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

If he said that, I’m not sure what he’s trying to accomplish by saying that. Maybe propping up our players?

They left out part of the quote....  "in the Mountain West"😄

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Is that this clearly wasn't a good ol' boy hire. I don't think Jimmy Rane's tentacles reach Idaho. 

Harsin is a guy with clearly NO ties to our program, and not beholden to any booster. Know what other hire fit that bill? Bruce Pearl.

I genuinely do believe this is a good hire. A SNEAKY good hire. But even if you don't agree, you can at least take solace in the fact that our voices were heard, and the ptb appear to have been humbled.

Maybe things are changing for the better in the power circles.

I agree, this could be a surprising sneaky good hire or it could be a disaster. Who he hires for his staff will be the first indication, especially OL coach. I think he will bring badly need grit back into the program and that is a good starting point. 

He had pretty much zero experience recruiting in the southeast. But from all that I can gather, he is a respected at evaluating players and going head to head with power5 conferences and winning some battles. I’m sure that he will hire a staff with some experience Experience in the territory. It will take time to build relationships with high school coaches, that’s just part of it.
I think the style of offense he runs will sell itself to recruits on that side of the ball. It will take some time and groundwork, but he will be able to get the talent to compete with the big dogs. And in a lot of ways Auburn, the place/school/campus is recruits itself. So I’m optimistic on that front.

What he seems best is ... wait for it... coaching.. He gets a lot of respect as a developer of QBs as well.. From all accounts from other coaches,press and players is that he can coach...

Now, all the off the field junk with boosters BOT  and PTB?? I mean who knows how he’s going to deal with that    Mess.. If he can win and ADAG sticks around long enough to make that happen, the power base can shift in a hurry. BOTH of our top guys HC and AD are outsiders to the old power base... I don’t know how long it’s been that that was the case frankly. This coach Winning will finally break that power structure.
So if you want PTB to finally loose their juice, you need to be pulling for our new coach because if he doesn’t, we could never be able to have a change.

I’m on the fence with this hire. On one hand, he’s certainly better than some of the names that were mentioned. On the other hand, I think we could have reached higher if Auburn would have stayed out of its own way. 

My biggest question is recruiting. Can he recruit in the SEC? I would dare say that 90% of recruits have never heard of him. This 2021 class is a bust, but what can he do in 2022? I’m trying to convince myself that two of the greatest recruiters of all-time had no Southeast ties before they came to the SEC in Saban & Meyer either and look what happened. 

The staff will obviously be important. What type of contract do they give him? I hope we’ve learned our lesson from the last contract - very inventive based and no buyout!

2 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

Searels and Rocker

I'm sold......let's make it happen and get to work.

I'm just going to keep putting DC Derek Mason and OC Dell McGee out there into the universe.

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Is that this clearly wasn't a good ol' boy hire. I don't think Jimmy Rane's tentacles reach Idaho. 

Harsin is a guy with clearly NO ties to our program, and not beholden to any booster. Know what other hire fit that bill? Bruce Pearl.

I genuinely do believe this is a good hire. A SNEAKY good hire. But even if you don't agree, you can at least take solace in the fact that our voices were heard, and the ptb appear to have been humbled.

Maybe things are changing for the better in the power circles.

I like the hire. I’ve been very critical of Greene for a while but he damn sure saved AU from hiring Steele. 

It’s past time to move on from the good ole boy network. 

Also, Napier and Clark never got offers. Napier wanted 6 plus million and AU laughed at him and moved on. Clark called and asked to be interviewed. As far as that went. 

Just now, Auburn Tiger said:

Will it into existence! 

I've been trying with Derek Mason no matter who our HC is. I think it's a homerun hire and either we pick him up or Alabama will as some bull**** off the field analyst.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Needs to be building his staff and out on the recruiting trail. Doesn't need to watch Kevin Steele lead some half-ass 5 day practice before a bowl game.

We SHOULD opt out and he should start installing his culture.

The invitation has been accepted.  It’s too late to opt out.  I’m pretty sure you have to let the committee know before they set the bowl games.  

Great things I learned  today:

• maybe the PTB are not swiftly driving us into the ditch
  •  A Greene is not a puppet
  • Auburn is taking a chance to be great  vs hiring a retread or hoping on an 'up and comer' assistant like a K Briles or Sark
  • Harsin's worst finish in conference is 2nd in 8 yrs
  • he has beaten PAC 12 teams for players and teams on the field, routinely
  • he jumping into the fire and knows it, unlike Bowden or Chiz

this is a new era in college football.

Auburn will be very undpredictable next season.  Boise ran the ball 51 % of the time last yr and passed 49%.

WDE!

Harsin: the most accomplished football HC we have ever hired.

2 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I like the hire. I’ve been very critical of Greene for a while but he damn sure saved AU from hiring Steele. 

Also, Napier and Clark never got offers. Napier wanted 6 plus million and AU laughed at him and moved on. Clark called and asked to be interviewed. As far as that went. 

Thanks for telling us this.  I have been wondering how we let Napier get away.  Guess that explains it.

Makes everything about the last couple of days make a lot more sense.

2 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

What type of contract do they give him? I hope we’ve learned our lesson from the last contract - very inventive based and no buyout!

We can double his salery  and on top of that add 2 million worth of incentives (# wins, SECCG appearance, SEC Champs, NCG appearance, NCG win)  and still be paying less than we payed Gus yearly.

I say it is worth it to pay even more for a low buyout to get rid of him if needed.  Med/High buyout if he leaves.

2 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

Kes Harsin is going to turn some heads on game day.

Kes Harsin Gallery - Sports Gossip

Hoping Auburn rubs off on her just a little bit. She could be gorgeous if she toned it down a little bit... I digress...

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Great things I learned  today:

• maybe the PTB are not swiftly driving us into the ditch
  •  A Greene is not a puppet
  • Auburn is taking a chance to be great  vs hiring a retread or hoping on an 'up and comer' assistant like a K Briles or Sark
  • Harsin's worst finish in conference is 2nd in 8 yrs
  • he has beaten PAC 12 teams for players and teams on the field, routinely
  • he jumping into the fire and knows it, unlike Bowden or Chiz

this is a new era in college football.

Auburn will be very undpredictable next season.  Boise ran the ball 51 % of the time last yr and passed 49%.

WDE!

Harsin: the most accomplished football HC we have ever hired.

Still waiting to see the staff choices

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Do I think Napier will be worth $6 Million someday (and maybe soon)? I would think so. But today is not that day. And I would be inclined to believe that if he's asking that much money, the money men would want A LOT of control after making that kinda investment which of course just perpetuates the problems...

Archived