Welcome to the Plains Coach Harsin (Merged)

mdp5150

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, jluvah said:

Why should we coddle this Benedict Arnold one more year! Hell, he’s making close to 2 million a year! And he needs to max out on his retirement pension?

He'll likely end up at Bama.

1 hour ago, murpjf88 said:

That's commendable but I'm tired of mediocre. Can he lead an SEC team to the college football playoffs on a regular basis? Can he compete on the same field with Alabana and Georgia? Can he recruit?

Those are good questions, and to answer them, currently the overall belief by several former Dye players is YES.  They believe Coach Harsin will instill the toughness and fortitude that has been missing under Gus and actually develop the roster not just sit back and wait for the talent to bloom.

1 hour ago, Taco said:

I swear. 

We could hire Saban away from Bama and some y’all would say “yeah but he lost to Gus.” Or whatever petty **** y’all come up with. 

TRUTH

1 hour ago, murpjf88 said:

Malzahn sent a message too when he left Arky State because he wanted to compete. Eight years later....

The difference is Gus is was is and always will be a High School coach.  Coach Harsin is a college coach.  He legitimately  understands player development.  He didn't climb to the top running a gimmick offense.  He didn't get into college by boosters twisting the HC's arms to bring him on as an OC to sign five of hi high school players.

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

We may never know the facts about what went on leading to this hire. 

We kind of NEED to know if Steele really did the things he has been raked over the coals for.   Lots of folks spewing hate toward the man.  If it was all just rumor his reputation should not take this hit.   If guilty,  F. him.

I don;t know specifics.  It sounded like either after UGA or South Ca. Boosters reached out to both Steele and Garner and asked them just what exactly was wrong with the program.  #1 the players are just soft under Malzahns leader ship and lack the toughness to go head to head with Bama and UGA.  #2 Player development #3 Gus believes in his heart of hearts he knows what he is doing.  In reality he has his receivers running the same routes as an 8th grade football team.  Its the SEC and his offense has no business in the power 5.  Garner and Steele want what best for the players and although Gus did a lot right, he was not properly preparing his team for Saturdays.

4 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Just appreciate a little transparency. There’s definitely a line but if this is what we’re getting, I hope it lights a fire under some of these kids.

Coach Harsin is a solid reputation for developing his players.  Mentally I think we should all prepare for things to get worse before it gets better.  Players were coddled under Gus.  Some will probably transfer when they get introduced to hard nosed football.

The two things I’d ask of Harsin are to go get Derek Mason as DC and Dell McGee as RB/RC. I’m honestly +/- on keeping Bicknell as OL, he’d probably be the only guy I’d keep of this current staff. 

1 hour ago, Taco said:

I’ll be honest. I missed watching xCGM running an offense with a Dual Threat QB in the super uptempo offense. 

I had forgotten how good the Gus offense was in those days. I wonder why he got so far away from the mobile QB, high speed offense? It was amazing that Gus took that team so far. 

1 hour ago, peashooter said:

He'll likely end up at Bama.

At DC? I hope 

just tell Schwartz to run a go all game. Worked for Devonta, Waddle, Terrance Marshall, Jamarr Chase, Tyler Johnson, Ruggs, Pickens, I mean I could go on 

5 hours ago, murpjf88 said:

That's commendable but I'm tired of mediocre. Can he lead an SEC team to the college football playoffs on a regular basis? Can he compete on the same field with Alabana and Georgia? Can he recruit?

He's literally the best on-paper hire Auburn has ever made. Go look at our previous head coach selections. He has above and beyond more experience and the best record. Those other coaches didn't come from elite programs either.

Y'all need to let yourselves be happy and rally around the guy. He could totally blow but let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

Only way I'm upset about this hire is:

1) if we gave him a Gus level salary 

And/or

2) If he's forced to keep a staff member 

Couple of things I am reading about him that I really like. Apparently he likes discipline across the trenches , he is very detailed and runs a balance offense. I think all Of that is huge . I know people want recruiters and rightfully so but I always lean to guys who can build and coach first . Been asking for this forever at Auburn and excited it is finally here 

I am willing to give Harsin his honeymoon time to get the ship righted. While I am not going to suggest that I know enough to definitively say whether or not Harsin will build Auburn into a consistent contender, I do know that the fanbase and media are all over the place in evaluating Harsin's hiring. That further underscores that we will know when we know and when we know is not right now. I do like the energy and vibe that a young coach with fresh ideas and a winning reputation brings to our program.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Couple of things I am reading about him that I really like. Apparently he likes discipline across the trenches , he is very detailed and runs a balance offense. I think all Of that is huge . I know people want recruiters and rightfully so but I always lean to guys who can build and coach first . Been asking for this forever at Auburn and excited it is finally here 

I also like what I read about his philosophy to play physically and control at the line of scrimmage.

I think he is an upgrade and will do better than Malzahn. Will he bring us championships and have us in the playoffs regularly? I'm not sold on that yet, but I'm more than willing to give him a shot.

5 hours ago, Taco said:

I watched this game. It wasn’t that competitive lol. It was Ellis Johnson’s defense that padded up those stats 

And who hired Ellis Johnson?  

Just for historical context, we once hired a coach from Wyoming and that turned out pretty well for Auburn, so I say let’s give Coach Harsin the opportunity and support he deserves. Maybe he will have the same success that Pat Dye did 40 years ago. 🤔😊🦅🦅

4 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

And who hired Ellis Johnson?  

Ellis Johnson was initially a good hire b/c he inherited NFL caliber middle linebackers that could "spy", tackle and pass cover - rare skill set in college. Johnson then lost the personnel for that formation but continued to try to use it. Disastrous. 

4 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

Coach Harsin is a solid reputation for developing his players.  Mentally I think we should all prepare for things to get worse before it gets better.  Players were coddled under Gus.  Some will probably transfer when they get introduced to hard nosed football.

I think you are spot on with this. Culture change is greatly needed, but several players are in for a shock. I had friends, and friends with friends on the team when Dye got here. That first Spring we called I-85 the Pat Dye evacuation route. It was a cleansing that needed to take place. I don't expect anything quite so dramatic with Harsin, but there are probably some football players who are about to get a wake up call.

16 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Good morning 🙏

The best news to come from the whole search. 

Archived