Welcome to the Plains Coach Harsin (Merged)

mdp5150

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, around4ever said:

While I agree this should be done in person in a team meeting, in today’s environment that was impossible.  All players have gone home for the Christmas break.  There was no way to pay for them to travel back to Boise for an hour meeting and good byes.  Coach Harsin handled it the best way he could.  I’m sure he will make many phone calls over the holidays to his former players. 

This sounds logical. 

On 12/23/2020 at 7:53 AM, TigerTaz said:

Don’t be a dense! His resume is better than Terry Bowden, Chizik, Malzahn, and right on line with Pat Dye when Auburn hired him.  Let’s be real.

Actually his on paper resume is SIGNIFICANTLY better than not only the coaches mentioned, but EVERY COACH that Auburn has hired since the 30s... Possibly ALL TIME. 

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Young folks do most of their communication in texts and social media.   It is where often  they ask each other on dates,  break up with their boy/girlfriend, and find out who is doing what on any given night.  They most likely would not be the least bit offended until and older person pointed out that it wasn't very personable.

The players I saw tweet about it sure seemed upset. 

I too feel CBH should have let his players know in person

2 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I am old school,  and believe he should have (if possible) told them also.  But my morals and etiquette are different than the youth of today.

I'm sure a lot are upset about it.   Likely most of those tweets are  just emotional outbursts.  They are hurt and angry about their coach leaving anyway.   It is like breaking up with your girl/boyfriend when you realize it is not going to work out.  It is easier to walk away when you can add more reasons to dislike them.  In the grand scheam of things it is not that big of a deal.  It could have been worse.  He could have told them the only way he was leaving was in a pine box a few days before leaving.

7 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am old school,  and believe he should have (if possible) told them also.  But my morals and etiquette are different than the youth of today.

I'm sure a lot are upset about it.   Likely most of those tweets are  just emotional outbursts.  They are hurt and angry about their coach leaving anyway.   It is like breaking up with your girl/boyfriend when you realize it is not going to work out.  It is easier to walk away when you can add more reasons to dislike them.  In the grand scheam of things it is not that big of a deal.  It could have been worse.  He could have told them the only way he was leaving was in a pine box a few days before leaving.

You are right. It could have been a lot worse. And the players I saw tweet were just upset they had to fins out via text. They werent mad at him, at least publicly.

To be fair a few days earlier there was an article posted asking which would happen first? Boise leave the MWC or Bryan Harsin leave Boise. It named him the leader for Arizona so im sure it wasn't a shock

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

How do you suggest he do that? Should he call them all back to campus or go visit each of the 100 or so players?

New Auburn podcast talking about the search and our new coach as well as some staff ideas. 

5 hours ago, around4ever said:

While I agree this should be done in person in a team meeting, in today’s environment that was impossible.  All players have gone home for the Christmas break.  There was no way to pay for them to travel back to Boise for an hour meeting and good byes.  Coach Harsin handled it the best way he could.  I’m sure he will make many phone calls over the holidays to his former players. 

I'm not an "insider" but as I understand it much of the negotiations, discussions, and perhaps even the offer were done via Zoom. Even as old as I am, I've signed real estate papers legally via DocuSign that were official and binding.

It seems implausible that Coach Harsin made the deal from Boise but the word was that much of the process occurred online.

Either way, I REALLY like the hire but I'm very old school when it comes to treating the players with respect. In part, he's gotten the "step up" on the backs and from the sweat of those young men.

I appreciate the responses. Welcome Coach Harsin!

On 12/22/2020 at 6:25 PM, autiger88 said:

I don't like what I'm hearing right now, hopefully it changes but it looks like part of the deal was he was gonna have to keep Steele, that could change but right now it looks to be that way.

I did not hear that at all. Don't think many, if any of the current staff remain. The man knows how to coach and what he needs from assitants.

On 12/23/2020 at 12:04 PM, e808 said:

Nope, I have been a Auburn fan probably longer than you have.  Since the days of Legion Field and parking on the gravel lots to watch the Iron Bowl. I want the team to excel like the Basketball team. Whats wrong with people having a difference of opinion.

Me to!

31 minutes ago, tiger78 said:

I did not hear that at all. Don't think many, if any of the current staff remain. The man knows how to coach and what he needs from assitants.

This was like two days ago Ive heard different now it looks like most if not all will be gone. 

5 hours ago, around4ever said:

How do you suggest he do that? Should he call them all back to campus or go visit each of the 100 or so players?

If you dont think coaches have group chats or whatever with their players, I dont know what to tell you. 

But sure. This is the 1990s. He should have to call them all directly or visit each household. GTFOH

There are 101 different ways that the entire team could be reached digitally. But yeah, I guess we can pretend they dont exist

30 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

If you dont think coaches have group chats or whatever with their players, I dont know what to tell you. 

But sure. This is the 1990s. He should have to call them all directly or visit each household. GTFOH

There are 101 different ways that the entire team could be reached digitally. But yeah, I guess we can pretend they dont exist

And that’s exactly what he did. He had a zoom meeting with them.  The point was you said he should have met with them in person. 

9 minutes ago, around4ever said:

And that’s exactly what he did. He had a zoom meeting with them.  The point was you said he should have met with them in person. 

I, for one, very much respect that he addressed the issue in the presser and that he clearly hated it got out before he could tell the players. That's respect for his players and I think we got a first class coach.

I didn't bring up the topic to start a conflict. Obviously, I'm pleased that he addressed it..... and I thought he did so very well. He didn't like what happened, it wasn't how he wanted it to happen and he faced it BOTH with the players AND publicly. He didn't have to say anything at the presser about the way the players learned about it, but he did.

That's respect. I could not ask for more.

3 hours ago, drewzums343 said:

Im guessing the sweater vest and visor days are over

Thank goodness 

38 minutes ago, around4ever said:

No.

I talked about his Boise players saying they had to find out via Twitter. 

Im sorry but finding out their coach was leaving for Auburn via Twitter is NOT the same thing as finding out from their coach via zoom. 

It's just not. 

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

No.

I talked about his Boise players saying they had to find out via Twitter. 

Im sorry but finding out their coach was leaving for Auburn via Twitter is NOT the same thing as finding out from their coach via zoom. 

It's just not. 

He can’t help the fact that social media moves fast.  He did have a zoom meeting with the Boise State team, it just wasn’t before Twitter put it out there.  Don’t hold that against him.  He did what he could.  

Archived