Welcome to the Plains Coach Harsin (Merged)

mdp5150

1 minute ago, KnightTiger said:

according to Caldwells column "the reports of coaches being told what assistants they could and couldnt fire or hire were false! Napier and Clark were never offered the job, Napier had discussions with Auburn but an offer was never made Clarked called Auburn himself but was never considered to be a candidate. Venables was a legit candidate but he decided over the weekend to stay at clemson. Harsin was the most impressive candidate when it came to interviews

Ron on 247 is now trying to spin it as to why Harsin got the nod over Steele

I don’t know how true any of that is but RIR did not seem to be impressed with either of those two 

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tomcat said:

Fair observation....when Saban went to LSU he had no SEC experience. Don’t be hung up on that. Fresh blood, new ideas. I love it?

Some new blood is kind of exciting, maybe he'll come in and take them for a whirl like Gus did

1 minute ago, FatherUppercut said:

Some new blood is kind of exciting, maybe he'll come in and take them for a whirl like Gus did

If we truly get new blood yes. If it’s just swapping out a HC then it won’t matter IMO. 

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

It’s beyond me that people want him and Garner still around after that bush league hostile takeover bull**** they tried to pull. I don’t want them anywhere near the program. 

Yep! How could any coach feel comfortable in that situation, and maintain control of his team.  Seems counter productive. 

1 minute ago, Tony4AU said:

Clark had to call Auburn? Haha

That was funny!  Auburn is a mess ...

The dude is my coach and I’m with him 💯! Let’s light up that big Jumbotron with some points!

War Eagle 🦅 Coach 

11 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

according to Caldwells column "the reports of coaches being told what assistants they could and couldnt fire or hire were false! Napier and Clark were never offered the job, Napier had discussions with Auburn but an offer was never made Clarked called Auburn himself but was never considered to be a candidate. Venables was a legit candidate but he decided over the weekend to stay at clemson. Harsin was the most impressive candidate when it came to interviews

Ron on 247 is now trying to spin it as to why Harsin got the nod over Steele

Shocker there. Obviois rumors started by click bate media and perpetuated by posters here who we'll now never hear from until something goes wrong again.

War Eagle Coach Harsin! Here's to many years of success, kicking our rivals hind parts and watching some hard nose football! IGTBAAT!!AGAIN!

247Sports’ Huffman: Bryan Harsin has ‘great eye for talent
by Keith Niebuhr
12 minutes ago

What kind of recruiter has Bryan Harsin been at Boise State? To get some insight, we asked 247Sport’s recruiting analyst Brandon Huffman, who covers the west coast for our network.

Here’s what he told us …

-On Harsin’s prowess in the Mountain West …. “He’s probably the best head coach recruiter in the Mountain West. Obviously, Boise State is the best program and has consistently been the best but he really took it up a step with (former Boise coach) Chris Peterson. They were consistently beating Pac-12 programs and some Big 12 programs for recruits from the time he got there.”

-On Harsin’s evaluating skills … “Fantastic evaluator. Great eye for talent. He was the first one to offer (quarterback) Zach Wilson and got him to commit. He stayed committed for the majority of that recruiting cycle before BYU offered Wilson, who’s LDS (Latter-day Saints). Boise State could have had Zach Wilson. He’s the one who got (quarterback) Brett Rypien. He got him to commit to Boise State over Pac-12 and SEC schools and then turned him into the Mountain West passing leader. So if you look both when he first got the head coaching job at Boise State and to just even in the last couple of years, he’s always done a great job evaluating talent, identifying that talent and beating Power 5 schools consistently for recruits.”

-On Harsin’s recruiting finds … “If you look at some of the players he’s developed or that he was able to find, like getting that walk-on Leighton Vander Esch — some of the players they’ve landed in year’s past that were 4-stars that he beat a number of Pac-12 schools head to head. They ended up really flourishing there. (Safety) JL Skinner (of California) is another one that comes to mind. I think what he’s always done well is battle against bigger programs that may have been more attractive to kids and get them to come to Boise State because of his track record of developing players. I think that will carry with him down at Auburn. He’s used to going toe to toe with bigger schools from a regional standpoint because of his history.”

-On Harsin’s assistants … “I think he’s done a really good job with his assistants and kind of turning those guys loose. Hiring good young assistants and letting them flourish in their backyard and where they’re from. (Do-defensive coordinator) Spencer Danielson is the main one I think of. He replaced Andy Avalos (now at Oregon) as their defensive coordinator and instantly started landing elite dudes from a Mountain West standpoint.”

I went to the AF Academy for undergrad and got my masters at AU (made the best decision of my life to marry an Auburn girl along the way). My two football loves are AF and Auburn. 

Watching Boise the last few years play the Academy, I promise y’all this is a great hire. I know it’s the MWC but his teams are consistently well coached, well disciplined, and execute. Also, from what I’ve heard from players, his guys absolutely love playing for him. Exciting days are ahead on The Plains. 

4 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

This is almost identical to our hiring Dye from Wyoming in '81 except our program was in way WAY worse shape in '81.

In what ways is this identical to ‘81? Just curious.

22 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Jboy really gave me a better understanding of what our new coach will bring to the table. Everyone needs to listen for a few minutes and I think you're questions will be answered. I feel better about him now.

I mean, it meets the criteria of “anybody but Steele” I guess. Mission accomplished. Wins solve problems and help ease hurt feelings, I’m totally down for that. If he loses, then it’ll be “well of course, he’s the coach from whatever conference he came from” guy. Ha!

Archived