Should we go after Muschamp?

shabby

I'm all for getting away from the JABA type hires, that being said... if dude wants Muschamp and Mus wants to come here, I think it's a bad idea to be against the hiring of an obviously talented DC just because he has history at Auburn.

The only real negative with Muschamp is you know he will bolt for the first HC gig offered. But with his career being so positive as a DC, and pretty negative as a HC. It could be multiple years before he gets to try his hand at HC again.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

I'm all for getting away from the JABA type hires, that being said... if dude wants Muschamp and Mus wants to come here, I think it's a bad idea to be against the hiring of an obviously talented DC just because he has history at Auburn.

The only real negative with Muschamp is you know he will bolt for the first HC gig offered. But with his career being so positive as a DC, and pretty negative as a HC. It could be multiple years before he gets to try his hand at HC again.

hell. did they stop anyone at sc? i do believe he can bring in talent tho. and he showed out a little too much when he beat us. it was like it was personal.

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

hell. did they stop anyone at sc? i do believe he can bring in talent tho. and he showed out a little too much when he beat us. it was like it was personal.

They stopped Auburn :lol: 

But again, don't confuse DC and HC. Plenty of capable DCs go to a HC spot and the D don't come with them. Then after they get fired and go back to DC they do well again.... hell Muschamps already done that before too :lol: 

8 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

But again, don't confuse DC and HC. Plenty of capable DCs go to a HC spot and the D don't come with them. Then after they get fired and go back to DC they do well again.... hell Muschamps already done that before too :lol: 

nice come back......great burn.

10 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Exactly. Nobody can question if this dude a good DC and recruiter.....that would be silly

1 hour ago, Mims44 said:

Hes flamed out at not one, but two SEC gigs.  Id be shocked if he got a third.

If hes going to HC again, will be at a lower level

Love me some Will Muschamp, as a man, but... CWM is a toxic mess and will be for a while. I am thinking he is going home to UGA and his best friend CKS soon anyway. 

13 hours ago, shabby said:

Would he be interested in an offer to come back as a coordinator?

8m buyout and 13m buyout from last stints. Seriously doubt he would be interested........of course he may just love Auburn and love work.

This has to be satire.  There is no way Harsin considers Muschamp.  I am a big fan of Champ as a DC but after being the HC of 2 SEC schools, he ain't going to want to be a yes man to a younger HC.   Not to mention, he doesn't need the money.  

Don't get me wrong I would love to have a motivated Champ and TRob recruiting for us, but I just don't see him having the fire it takes after being demoted from the highest level, twice.

3 minutes ago, USATiger said:

This has to be satire.  There is no way Harsin considers Muschamp.  I am a big fan of Champ as a DC but after being the HC of 2 SEC schools, he ain't going to want to be a yes man to a younger HC.   Not to mention, he doesn't need the money.  

Don't get me wrong I would love to have a motivated Champ and TRob recruiting for us, but I just don't see him having the fire it takes after being demoted from the highest level, twice.

Agreed. My personal standpoint is don't bring him back. He is a very good DC, but any assistant coaching spot taken by him will only be a short stop. We need to build a solid foundation, and hiring Muschamp is only a temporary fix. If the HC wants to bring him in, fine, but it won't sit well with me. You build a strong product through consistently setting and meeting expectations and goals.  It is hard to do that if you bring in people constantly looking for the next step.  Now, I'm not saying don't bring in someone eager; there needs to be that fire in a DC, but we are not at a program spot to play that game.

I think he may go after his old DC and current Oregon DC Andy Avalos and same with his old OC that he had success with Zac Hill current at AZ State. If that is the case I think they will hold their own. 

3 minutes ago, Scottie said:

Agreed. My personal standpoint is don't bring him back. He is a very good DC, but any assistant coaching spot taken by him will only be a short stop. We need to build a solid foundation, and hiring Muschamp is only a temporary fix. If the HC wants to bring him in, fine, but it won't sit well with me. You build a strong product through consistently setting and meeting expectations and goals.  It is hard to do that if you bring in people constantly looking for the next step.  Now, I'm not saying don't bring in someone eager; there needs to be that fire in a DC, but we are not at a program spot to play that game.

Absolutely.  It's a fine line between hiring name guys, like Champ, Steele, etc and finding those younger guys that will become the next Venables, Aranda, Champ.  I trust Harsin, from looking at his ability to identify and develop talent, to do the same with his coaching staff.   I believe he will have coaches lining up to come work for him.  Can't wait for spring and AD!

I think Todd Bates at Clemson could be a future star on the defensive coordinator front, and he is a solid recruiter and has that Clemson D Line duty:)  He is from Alabama though he played for the wrong team. 

16 hours ago, shabby said:

It seems coach Boom won't have any head coaching offers for awhile. Would he be interested in an offer to come back as a coordinator? Would this be a good hire if so? Seems we need someone that is quality and woukd get recruits. Thoughts?

I believe his effectiveness as a coordinator is limited with the modern spread offenses so let's not mess with him again.

He should probably just chill a while and lick his wounds. Look for a HC job at a lower level and then see where it leads. He is still a younger guy and it’s not like he’s never gonna coach again. He needs to be really smart when it comes to his next move .

Archived