We missed our shot

DivisionN

13 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

Urban Meyer and Nick Saban rolled into the SEC and proceeded to kick butt in recruiting. If he is willing to work just as hard and smart as those two. He will do just fine. 

If he can sell ADAG and Pres. Gogue on his plan to make Auburn a contender, and get them to pay him (reportedly) $5mil/year to do it without SEC experience, I have full faith in the man to be able to sell that same plan to a recruit.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

If he can sell ADAG and Pres. Gogue on his plan to make Auburn a contender, and get them to pay him (reportedly) $5mil/year to do it without SEC experience, I have full faith in the man to be able to sell that same plan to a recruit.

Actually I am thrilled  with the hire. Not just about the coach we hired, although I like everything I have seen from him so far, but finally in the end Allen Greene stepped up and demanded we write out what we truly wanted in a HC as opposed to trying to get a Saben clone or only being worried how the choice would play to the fans. What started out looking like JABA turned into Auburn not being the old Auburn. I will go on record that I liked Greene when he was hired, but I felt over the last few months he was going  to be just another JJ, doing the will of a few rich boosters instead of what was best for Auburn. Boy was I wrong . Allen stood up and stood up big time and I am Proud he is at Auburn. Hopefully this can be the corner where we needed to turn. We need to get back to the Dye days when we were proud to be Auburn and not attempting to Be an Alabama look-a-like. So I deeply apologize to Allen Greene and Dr. Gouge. 🙏🦅 WDE

On 12/23/2020 at 2:59 AM, DivisionN said:

Whoever hires Hugh Freeze or snags Kiffin away from Ole Piss is going to do very well. We will be fighting from behind and wondering why we did not do the obvious thing and hire one of these guys. 

While I agree with your first statement, I'm not so sure about your second. Still too early to know what Auburn will be.

On 12/23/2020 at 2:59 AM, DivisionN said:

Whoever hires Hugh Freeze or snags Kiffin away from Ole Piss is going to do very well. We will be fighting from behind and wondering why we did not do the obvious thing and hire one of these guys. 

Hugh Freeze is Gus 2.0.  His overall record at Ole Miss wasn't all that.  Mullen did better at MSU. The only reason Freeze gets this love is because he beat Saban twice.  Well, uh, Gus beat Saban three times.  And Freeze is a known cheater.

Kiffin is a different story.  I think he's a better coach than Freeze, but I don't think AU wanted to deal with his antics.

Everything is temporary. Nobody wants to fall behind in college football. Even at Auburn's worst (win - loss record), it was only temporary.

3-9 in 2012 to playing for a National Championship, winning and playing for an SEC Championship, being ranked in the top 10, beating top 10 teams.

5-7 in 2008 to playing and winning an SEC Championship, playing and winning a National Championship

3-8 in 1998 to playing and winning an SEC Championship, being ranked in the top 10, beating top 10 teams.

5-5-1 in 1992 and being put on probation to winning 20 games in a row, being ranked in the top 10, beating top 10 teams, playing for an SEC Championship

5-6 in 1980 to winning SEC Championships, being ranked in the top 10, beating top 10 teams, beating Bama again, getting the Iron Bowl played in Auburn

Can only imagine how hopeless Auburn fans felt when Carl Voyles went 2-7 in 1947. Then, the agony didn't stop when he was replaced by Earl Brown . 

Even if Bryan Harsin wasn't the first, second, third choice - I don't believe it will be the end of the Auburn world. At his worst, I don't expect Auburn to go back to the Earl Brown days. At his best? We will soon find out. Good luck to Coach Harsin.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:33 AM, Scottie said:

Hard disagree. Kiffin and Freeze both have loaded baggage that I would not anywhere near a program. The way Kiffin threw his dad under the bus at USC was completely despicable.  He is cocky and whines when things don't go his way; his attitude isn't funny or cute.  Freeze will always be associated with scandal. In both cases, the lack of cognitive self-realization is disturbing. It isn't a one off flaw; it is an issue to the core.  If you want to get rid of the "little brother"/cheater persona that seems to hang over the Auburn program, you can't go with either one of these coaches. Are they talented? Yes, but the damage they can do to the program reputation wise for outweighs the benefit. 

You need someone that is going to lead and be straight forward with communications.  If you think that Kiffin or Freeze would improve the transparency that has been sorely lacking in this program, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Damn...you nailed everything I was thinking.

Exactly about Kiffin. He just HAS to be snarky about everything he says. That's a big part of being a fan, but I don't want to hear it from OUR head coach. Remember he retweeted the "We didn't have Tua. Yes you had Tua many players on the field." Yes it was funny, but it isn't from a head coach. No, it isn't funny or cute. He can't beat Saban (who literally brought his career back from the dead), but he'll pile on Saban and anyone else he doesn't like through social media any chance he gets. An absolute doosh and embarrassment as a head coach.

And when he isn't snarky, like you said, he whines incessantly. And when he's neither snarky or whining, his drivel is easily the most boring as a head coach ever. If he doesn't have a crack to make on someone, he couldn't care less what the conversation is or who the person he's talking to is. One of the more disingenuous head coaches ever. He wouldn't make it 3 minutes in my home trying to sell my son to play for him.

As for Freeze...I don't want Auburn suffering years of probation and forfeited losses. Oh...he learned his lesson and won't do it again? Prove it somewhere else.

The OP is going for a record number of negative reactions 😂

On 12/23/2020 at 3:59 AM, DivisionN said:

I thought it was reveled they Freeze is basically banned from the SEC. 

Freeze is damaged goods.  He’ll spend many more years putting his Ole Miss history being him.    Kiffin was always hired by desperate programs and left them pretty much the way found them. USC has never recovered from losing its BCS due to cheating and having Kiffin run the program further down .  

In 2009, Kiffin's record after just one year was 7-6. A short time later, skips town that night or the next night without anyone at UT knowing anything.

Archived