What kind of offense does Harsin like to run?

drewzums343

Under Gus, I was really getting tired of the same ol plays. Running up the middle for no gain on 2nd down, a screen pass on 3rd and 11 that goes nowhere. I remember thinking the main thing we are missing is a true vertical downfield passing game. 

I think many of the plays ran under gus were designed passing plays, so they pre determined where the ball was going before the play even happened. This approach is necessary when you have a freshman QB but if you have a qb like Bo Nix coming into his third year at Auburn, he should be able to throw to whoever is open on almost every play. Gus didn't really do this much for whatever reason and we couldn't push the ball downfield. 

I'll be happy if Harsin can reverse this trend. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Boise fans: he implements a run first power run game with west coast concepts for the short passing game and pro style concepts for the deep intermediate passing game. Or vice versa. Can’t remember exactly. Nix will need to get used to being under center a fair bit. 

It took me 1/2 a night of freaking out and the rest of the night of just accepting that he’s the guy. Offensively at least, there’s a lot to potentially like. He doesn’t really have a “scheme” per se. If you did put a title on what he does, it is best described as “multiple.” He designs his offense around the players he has and calls plays to specifically attack the weaknesses of the teams he coaches against. So, over time, we’ll probably see shotgun, pistol, and even under center formations with a balance of pass and run. Given the personnel we have though, I’d expect us to look very spread like next year. 

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

It took me 1/2 a night of freaking out and the rest of the night of just accepting that he’s the guy. Offensively at least, there’s a lot to potentially like. He doesn’t really have a “scheme” per se. If you did put a title on what he does, it is best described as “multiple.” He designs his offense around the players he has to attack the weaknesses of the teams he coaches against. So, over time, we’ll probably see shotgun, pistol, and even under center formations with a balance of pass and run. Given the personnel we have though, I’d expect us to look very spread like next year. 

Pretty much what I’ve read that his offense is “multiple” in that it utilizes both west coast and pro style passing concepts. Something not seen at Auburn under Gus 

Just now, USATiger said:

Anyone remember the '07 Fiesta Bowl against Oklahoma?  

My dad @SumterAubieand I were just talking about that last night. He called a very very good game against Oklahoma that year 

1 minute ago, Didba said:

My dad @SumterAubieand I were just talking about that last night. He called a very very good game against Oklahoma that year 

The dude knows offense and how to use his personnel.  That '07 offense of Boise was talented, but you know Harsin looks at Auburn's roster and goes, oh my.  Well, maybe not the OL but he'll have those guys coached up and motivated to kick ass.  I've watched a ton of Boise games over the years due to their Saturday time slots.  He will adapt, rejoice, his offense to the personnel at hand.   We will score many points next year, I am certain.

Since the Video was posted above showing the championship game. It should be noted he had 3 of his best players out for that game. I would look at 2018-19 for a better idea of his coaching.

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

I'm going to lose my shot if we start running more trick plays than we did under gus. 

He likes trickery for sure, especially in times where he feels it will give him an advantage. 

2 minutes ago, AU-Allen said:

He likes trickery for sure, especially in times where he feels it will give him an advantage. 

If well timed and executed, I like it. It’s fun to watch and I’m sure the players love the excitement and change of pace. It just can’t be the offensive philosophy.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Boise-State-quarterback-Hank-Bachmeier-New-Auburn-coach-Bryan-Harsin-a-disciplined-leader-with-incredible-offensive-mind-157702932/

QB here says that the offensive is complex and has multiple levels... take it as to wish but it’s part of what Kellen Moore runs in Dallas.

1 hour ago, dilligas said:

I read he ran a spread power run game.  Ran a lot of trick plays and slow developing plays.  Mixed run and pass pretty evenly.  

Everyone should watch the MWC Championship game from this year.

I expect we see something like what Jimbo runs at A&M, maybe not as much pro style but that's the closest I can compare it too. Its wild that we are going from one of the least complex offenses to one of the most complex. I wonder if Bo can handle it? I think we 100% get a transfer QB from somewhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bo sits at some point.   

Archived