What kind of offense does Harsin like to run?

drewzums343

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Just watched it. I will say that I loved San Jose State’s passing attack. Maybe he should give a call to their OC. 👀👀

Not a bad idea

My take away from reading about his teams and watching videos of games --

1. Do more with less. He never gets a lot of 4 star recruits, but he definitely develops kids to play competitive football.
2. Dominate the trenches on both sides of the ball. He may bring his own OL coach with him.
3. QB whisperer. He has coached up some outstanding QBs. Maybe he can extract Bo's talents.
4. Creative play caller exploiting defense weaknesses and tendencies. Not afraid to design and use trick plays for that purpose.
5. Smart and organized, demanding, but a "player's coach" at the same time.

He will have a challenge recruiting right away, but the transfer portal is huge this year.

48 minutes ago, WinstonMcFlurry said:

I expect we see something like what Jimbo runs at A&M, maybe not as much pro style but that's the closest I can compare it too. Its wild that we are going from one of the least complex offenses to one of the most complex. I wonder if Bo can handle it? I think we 100% get a transfer QB from somewhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bo sits at some point.   

again, going back to the Cubelic interview on Jboy, that was his thinking as well. got to bring in another QB. if nothing else for the competition.

and it's his opinion that there are QB's out there to be had

Well, no more boring press conferences where nothing’s said.

Boise is not a trick play team. They run trick plays—BTW, Saban pulled off one of the best trick plays I’ve seen in awhile this week—but they run a solid, diverse offense with real pass routes. Including the TE downfield.

Yeah, San Jose has a thing going on.

He actually has an interesting connection to Auburn. In the prayer at Jordan Hare, Auburn converted a 4th &18 for a TD. If we don’t make that play, we lose the game. 

Harsin is responsible for the second most famous 4th and 18 for the game:

3 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

I'm going to lose my shot if we start running more trick plays than we did under gus. 

Trickery in and of itself isn’t bad. Trickery for ***** sakes, without having it set up IS bad. Gus rarely set up trickery IMO, esp the further we got from his early years where reverse sweeps actually surprised teams 

3 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Trickery in and of itself isn’t bad. Trickery for ***** sakes, without having it set up IS bad. Gus rarely set up trickery IMO, esp the further we got from his early years where reverse sweeps actually surprised teams 

I agree. I should clarify I mean the trying to be cute bulldhiy. 

7 hours ago, WinstonMcFlurry said:

I expect we see something like what Jimbo runs at A&M, maybe not as much pro style but that's the closest I can compare it too. Its wild that we are going from one of the least complex offenses to one of the most complex. I wonder if Bo can handle it? I think we 100% get a transfer QB from somewhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bo sits at some point.   

Chayil Garnett, while not the most physically gifted QB, was said to have a high IQ during his recruitment. He may be able to take over if Bo struggles with the playbook. K. Moore wasn’t the most physically talented QB, but he was pretty successful in Boise’s offense. Loy could stay another year as well, plus the kid from Texas is pretty dang good. 

Chayil has more than enough in him to run the read option part of the offense. I dont think they trusted him as a passer. The same staff trusted Bo to throw 50 times against apparent NFL HOFer Jaycee Horn, so idk what to make of that

Im hope Harsin puts in a position where we stop wondering what the backup has because the starter looks so inept. Gus had us there at some point literally every year post 2014 except 2016 and 17

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Chayil has more than enough in him to run the read option part of the offense. I dont think they trusted him as a passer. The same staff trusted Bo to throw 50 times against apparent NFL HOFer Jaycee Horn, so idk what to make of that

Im hope Harsin puts in a position where we stop wondering what the backup has because the starter looks so inept. Gus had us there at some point literally every year post 2014 except 2016 and 17

I hope he opens up a true QB competition because IMO Davis is that dude. 

16 hours ago, AUStew87 said:

Chayil Garnett, while not the most physically gifted QB, was said to have a high IQ during his recruitment. He may be able to take over if Bo struggles with the playbook. K. Moore wasn’t the most physically talented QB, but he was pretty successful in Boise’s offense. Loy could stay another year as well, plus the kid from Texas is pretty dang good. 

None of those Boise Qb's were very talented imo, none of them even really sniffed the NFL. If you look chronologically Boise has had a good Qb since like 1996 and Harsin I can assume was a big part of that. I trust in him to get auburn good Qb play finally. 

17 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I hope he opens up a true QB competition because IMO Davis is that dude. 

I feel like passing is a big aspect of his prior offenses, and Dematrius seems like somebody that's gonna be a really raw passer out the gate. That being said, it's improving a raw passer vs breaking pretty deeply rooted habits, in Bo's case. Come 2022, I think we'll have a good idea of how good a QB guru that our new HC is 

On 12/23/2020 at 1:16 PM, AURex said:

My take away from reading about his teams and watching videos of games --

1. Do more with less. He never gets a lot of 4 star recruits, but he definitely develops kids to play competitive football.
2. Dominate the trenches on both sides of the ball. He may bring his own OL coach with him.
3. QB whisperer. He has coached up some outstanding QBs. Maybe he can extract Bo's talents.
4. Creative play caller exploiting defense weaknesses and tendencies. Not afraid to design and use trick plays for that purpose.
5. Smart and organized, demanding, but a "player's coach" at the same time.

He will have a challenge recruiting right away, but the transfer portal is huge this year.

This is exactly what I wanted to hear!!!!  Others have also mentioned that he is a very good recruiter, being #1 in the conference every year!  I’m very interested in who he hires as assistants, but things sound promising.   

On 12/23/2020 at 12:43 PM, gr82b4au said:

It is called The octagon. Multifaceted quadruple option wing T with dual tight end sets out of the I information spread attack. 

200.gif

I just stumbled across a nugget. Saban wanted Harsin to be his OC in 2008 after Applewhite went to Texas. Les Miles tried to steal him away from Mac Brown in 2011 before he signed the contract.

7 hours ago, meh130 said:

I just stumbled across a nugget. Saban wanted Harsin to be his OC in 2008 after Applewhite went to Texas. Les Miles tried to steal him away from Mac Brown in 2011 before he signed the contract.

Link?

14 hours ago, meh130 said:

Then the curse of his former assistants being unable to beat Saban doesn’t apply to Harsin. I see this as a win!

16 hours ago, meh130 said:

Huh. Nugget may be a rat turd. Wrap in tissue paper and send to lab for analysis.

Archived