Coordinators (Merged)

drewzums343

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be shocked if McGee comes to AU. I'd love to have him but he has everything we can give him and a really good team already at UGA. Plus we can't give him a position of more importance than he already has, unless OC???

11 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I will be shocked if McGee comes to AU. I'd love to have him but he has everything we can give him and a really good team already at UGA. Plus we can't give him a position of more importance than he already has, unless OC???

Money and coming home is quite an incentive

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Time will tell. I would love it to happen. RB recruiting would go up, up, up. He has great stability right where he is though and AU may be considered a risk. That said, he may feel he can recruit on the same level regardless of where he goes, esp. if he chooses to come home.

As we have seen many times, he could be using this as power to negotiate better pay at UGA. If we offer him double, maybe UGA won't be willing to meet it. 

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Hopefully it gets done. Harsin is going to need someone to familiarize him on the workings of the Alabama/Georgia/Tennessee mafia on the recruiting trail. He needs to understand what he is dealing with down here.

53 minutes ago, bigbird said:

That is true, but I would be shocked as well. Georgia will not want to let him go at all... it always seems that once a name goes public it never happens. Once word gets out that we are wanting a coach, the university usually pays more To keep him

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Sorry if already mentioned, but according to 247, Muschamp has reportedly declined the Texas job. 

I think Muschamp is a just a mess if we hired him.  I view him as A guy who would move in and start looking for a HC job somewhere, anywhere before he called one kid. 

47 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I think Muschamp is a just a mess if we hired him.  I view him as A guy who would move in and start looking for a HC job somewhere, anywhere before he called one kid. 

Quite possibly. I just found it interesting 

6 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

JGT just tweeted about Harsin having his first hire like 30 minutes ago. Any info on that? 

Darren Uscher from Boise State - Director of Recruiting

15 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Darren Uscher from Boise State - Director of Recruiting

Neen some damn on the field coaches 

Recruiting is the life blood of the program...and recruiting is currently in the shitter.  So getting a recruiting coordinator 1st; given their is another signing date coming up, seems like a logical move.  

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Quite possibly. I just found it interesting 

My concern about Muschamp is he is not a good fit for a first year head coach. The new head coach needs to be the dominant personality in the room until the culture is established.

Just now, meh130 said:

The new head coach needs to be the dominant personality in the room until the culture is established.

What makes you think Harsin isn’t gonna be the dominant personality in the room? 

On 1/3/2021 at 3:29 PM, Zeek said:

Just wanna get the ball rolling Bird! Give me a strength coach even!

You got a director of operations!  What more you want?!?

Geeeezzzz!!!!

28 minutes ago, meh130 said:

My concern about Muschamp is he is not a good fit for a first year head coach. The new head coach needs to be the dominant personality in the room until the culture is established.

No, No, No to Muschamp. He will strictly for himself, just like before. He will do nothing for Auburn but take anymore money we gave him. Look somewhere else!

One other thing. I would not describe Avalos' defense as a "3-3-5", I would describe it as a "Hybrid/Multiple 4-2-5". I would also describe Kevin Steele's the same way.

Some have described Steele's defense as a 3-4, because they consider the BUCK to be an linebacker, not a lineman.

There are no true "3-4s" and "4-3s" any more. And you can't go by one-gap or two-gap schemes, because most defenses run both gap schemes, some at the same time.

At times in the past, Auburn ran a "Bear Front" with Derrick Brown on the nose in a Zero-Tech, Marlin Davidson in a 4i, and the other DT in a 4i.

Avalos and Jeff Schmedding use 4-3 terms like "DE", "NT", "DT", and "STUD". The STUD or "STand Up Defensive end" being like Muschamp's and Steele's "BUCK". And both will move interior linemen around in different gap schemes.

Even "3-4" teams are running these hybrid schemes. Bama does a 4-2 look a lot against passing teams or on passing downs, but they usually 2-gap the interior guys in 2-Tech over the offensive guards, and will have the Jack OLB in a three-point stance with his hand down. Washington does something similar in their "2-4-5" pass rush package with a 4-2 look but stands up both OLBs. Dave Aranda did something similar with his nickel package at LSU.

I think the one advantage a "4-3" style defense has is each player is a different archetype, which can make it easier to populate the positions. Big, but shorter guys are a good fit for the NT. Big, but taller guys are a better fit for the 3-Tech. Lighter guys are a better fit for the DE/SDE/5-Tech, and the smaller guys with burst speed are the fit for the BUCK/STUD hybrid position.

32 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

What makes you think Harsin isn’t gonna be the dominant personality in the room? 

Well, Muschamp is known to dominate the room:

Archived