Coordinators (Merged)

drewzums343

2 minutes ago, meh130 said:

One other thing. I would not describe Avalos' defense as a "3-3-5", I would describe it as a "Hybrid/Multiple 4-2-5". I would also describe Kevin Steele's the same way.

Some have described Steele's defense as a 3-4, because they consider the BUCK to be an linebacker, not a lineman.

There are no true "3-4s" and "4-3s" any more. And you can't go by one-gap or two-gap schemes, because most defenses run both gap schemes, some at the same time.

At times in the past, Auburn ran a "Bear Front" with Derrick Brown on the nose in a Zero-Tech, Marlin Davidson in a 4i, and the other DT in a 4i.

Avalos and Jeff Schmedding use 4-3 terms like "DE", "NT", "DT", and "STUD". The STUD or "STand Up Defensive end" being like Muschamp's and Steele's "BUCK". And both will move interior linemen around in different gap schemes.

Even "3-4" teams are running these hybrid schemes. Bama does a 4-2 look a lot against passing teams or on passing downs, but they usually 2-gap the interior guys in 2-Tech over the offensive guards, and will have the Jack OLB in a three-point stance with his hand down. Washington does something similar in their "2-4-5" pass rush package with a 4-2 look but stands up both OLBs. Dave Aranda did something similar with his nickel package at LSU.

I think the one advantage a "4-3" style defense has is each player is a different archetype, which can make it easier to populate the positions. Big, but shorter guys are a good fit for the NT. Big, but taller guys are a better fit for the 3-Tech. Lighter guys are a better fit for the DE/SDE/5-Tech, and the smaller guys with burst speed are the fit for the BUCK/STUD hybrid position.

200w-1.gif.4a7098e1715c5a8e5d7815d86d6b3681.gif200w.gif.ac3f7a4324abc2449c29d6f95f0d8066.gif Guess who learned how to use Giphy this week!waynes-world-wayne-campbell-MUeQeEQaDCjE4.webloc

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/23/2020 at 6:02 PM, drewzums343 said:

Who should CBH hire as his coordinators? Assuming he does have autonomy.  I had a few in mind. 

D coordinator 

1. Will Muschamp- He's an SEC insider who can help CBH adjust to the conference. 

2. Andy Avalos- Didnt get mario but maybe we could poach his DC, worked with CBH at Boise.

3. Kevin Steele- He's a solid D coodinator but I think we need to clean house if we are changing the culture in the locker room

4. Travis Williams- I think Coach T will would be a good option but like I said, we should clean house from Gus's staff.

O Coordinator

1. Jeff Lebby- OC at Ole miss under kiffin, formerly the OC at UCF when they ranked top 5 in the NCAA 

2. Eric Kiesau- If he decides to pull what Malzahn did with Lashlee and bring his OC with him

3. Kendal Briles

4. Mike Bobo 

Thoughts? I think any coach in the SEC needs solid coordinators assuming he lets them do their jobs unlike Gus. 

Kiesau has already worked in South with Nick Saban/Alabama and rumors were he was making most of the O-calls for Lane Kiffin a few years back when they won the national championship. 

On the rant, ole miss poster saying the ole miss board was saying that Jeff Lebby would be new OC for us. I sure hope so. My choice from the beginning and is supposed to be a good recruiter

Edit: I just went to the OM 24/7 board and talk about delusional....Damn......It does appear to be some smoke coming out of Oxford with Lebby and the clowns on that board can't understand why?

Derek Mason finally mentioned by a beat writer. Nothing more than rumor but supposedly he's interested. Wooooo.

1 hour ago, chizhead said:

On the rant, ole miss poster saying the ole miss board was saying that Jeff Lebby would be new OC for us. I sure hope so. My choice from the beginning and is supposed to be a good recruiter

Edit: I just went to the OM 24/7 board and talk about delusional....Damn......It does appear to be some smoke coming out of Oxford with Lebby and the clowns on that board can't understand why?

Just saw the Lebby talk on the Rant...some of them think it's a done deal.

Some ole miss friends of mine believe we're about to hire Lebby. Great football mind.  Really dislike his involvement at Baylor.  Believe what you want

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Some ole miss friends of mine believe we're about to hire Lebby. Great football mind.  Really dislike his involvement at Baylor.  Believe what you want

It seems to me that he did what he needed to do and what he could have done from his position.  He escalated but was not in a position to take action on anybody.  That was a head coach and above issue.  I guess he could have resigned in protest of how it was being handled or whatever but I am not sure many would have done that.

I assume UCF and Ole Miss also saw it this way.

I am interested to hear from those who may have done a deeper dive on this than I have.

1 minute ago, DunderMifflin said:

It seems to me that he did what he needed to do and what he could have done from his position.  He escalated but was not in a position to take action on anybody.  That was a head coach and above issue.  I guess he could have resigned in protest of how it was being handled or whatever but I am not sure many would have done that.

I am interested to hear from those who may have done a deeper dive on this than I have.

ole miss fans on the rant are saying lebby is gone and headed to auburn.

8 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

I'm pretty sure he failed to escalate the allegation.

someone said kiff and lebby set record on "O" this past season that even passed lsu. anyone know anything about this?

26 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

someone said kiff and lebby set record on "O" this past season that even passed lsu. anyone know anything about this?

I think this is more Kiffen than Lebby. Kiffin is an alpha when it comes to offense...so Lebby, even though he has been identified as a very good recruiter, is probably a lot like Chip Lindsey or Rhett Lashlee was as 'OC'. Name yes...calling plays...no.

And with Harsin being an experienced well rounded OC/HC...i am not worried about who he brings in as OC...to be honest. 

Lebby  -   Texas, OK and FL stomping grounds as a recruiter

Ole Miss offense

yes and yes - he is a take 

35 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think this is more Kiffen than Lebby. Kiffin is an alpha when it comes to offense...so Lebby, even though he has been identified as a very good recruiter, is probably a lot like Chip Lindsey or Rhett Lashlee was as 'OC'. Name yes...calling plays...no.

And with Harsin being an experienced well rounded OC/HC...i am not worried about who he brings in as OC...to be honest. 

I thought I read that Kiffin was not calling plays at Ole Miss.

I have a feeling the staff is going to be filled with a lot on unrecognizable names that people will have to research, but people will overreact when it is not a "splash hire." I like the way Harsin is going about this. It seems to be really methodical. I am betting he is building a staff to deal with every little intricacy needed in running a successful program to his vision and not just hiring names. Our previous predecessor seemed to do that on the other side of the ball and seemed to also do that with his recruiting, as we often had quality players, who did not fit our vision.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I don't believe this is right. Lebby called plays at Ole Miss. I'm sure Lane had input like all HC do, but he didn't call the plays 

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Derek Mason finally mentioned by a beat writer. Nothing more than rumor but supposedly he's interested. Wooooo.

Does that mean we would have a female nose tackle?

9 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Does that mean we would have a female nose tackle?

Lol

But for real Derek Mason would be a heck of a lot better than Andy Avalos imo

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I don't believe this is right. Lebby called plays at Ole Miss. I'm sure Lane had input like all HC do, but he didn't call the plays 

I understand he called the plays..but as the case with Gus' OC's, with Kiffen having a dominant role in developing offenses, I am butt sure Kiffen was directly involved in the play calling too..

That's just the way it happens with offensive genius's who become HCs.

And Lebby would be similar with Harsin...IMO

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Lol

But for real Derek Mason would be a heck of a lot better than Andy Avalos imo

agree, I don't know his style of D. Anyone else know? He cut his teeth as DC on the west coast, but he was successful there.

And he knows the SEC offenses, and the area for recruiting. I believe his daughter is at Florida....

Archived