Coordinators (Merged)

drewzums343

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

So basically keep the entire same staff except Chad and Kodi 

Gus had some good assistants the problem was him.  The big move was getting rid of Gus and Chad was just Gus 2.0.  Bicknell had the OLine doing much better but the talent and depth is where we need help. He hasn’t had time to address that.  Caddy brought in a 5* talent and had him playing at a very high level, the best we have had in years especially considering the OLine he was running behind.  Our defensive staff is as good as anybody’s.  TWill has upgraded our LB’s.  Rodney has always been a great recruiter and develops D linemen as good as anybody in the country.  Our DB coaches are OK I wouldn’t make an argument one way or another on them.  I would love to see TRob come home.  And that leaves Steele.  I have heard all the rumors about the coup attempt and I don’t know if any of it is factual or not.  I suspect exaggerated but even it is partially true he helped get rid of Gus and there is a lot of agreement Gus needed to go.  Of course, we can’t have him undercutting the new coach but he is so near retirement what’s his incentive to do that?  Otherwise I don’t see a justification for getting rid of him he has done a great job since he was hired and kept us in a lot of games when our offense was not pulling its weight.  

Kevin Steele did a good job for us while he was here. I for one hope we get someone more complex with coverages and blitz packages. We always just seemed Vanilla. Either our base defense or sell the farm it seemed. 

I for one would love for CBH to bring Coach Andy Avalos from Oregon. He worked with him previously at BSU. I think it would be a fairly easy transition with the players we currently have. IIRC his base is a 3-3-5 where we ran a 4-2-5 but CAA would often have 4 down linemen. Avalos mixes a lot of stuff together and has done a good job at his current post. 

I also wouldn't mind switching to a 3-4 so we would align better with NFL schemes. We would definitely have to have a few years to change the personnel to fit (esp LB) but it might be worth it in the long run.

Some of you X's and O's gurus give me your take on CAA and or who you would like to see and why?

Just now, tomcat said:

Uh....no on Al.

Why the main component of Harsin offense is pro set with west coast offense sets.  Who better than Al understands this type of offense.

4 minutes ago, Carnell said:

Why the main component of Harsin offense is pro set with west coast offense sets.  Who better than Al understands this type of offense.

Look. We are in the midst of an evolution. From my perspective that means a break from retreads of the past. Yes...Harsin is from the western United States. That does not mean his offense is grounded in the “west coast offense” of Al’s era. New coach, new ways, new ideas. Current staff may or may not make it. I personally welcome a break from the past. I welcome Harsin’s leadership  ....and if he CHOOSES to keep a few holdovers...I welcome that too.

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

So basically keep the entire same staff except Chad and Kodi 

If Kodi could teach a WR to get open. I say clean house. New staff, new start. 

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Duane Akina wouldn't be a bad DC for Harsin.

Agreed.  He’s a very DB coach.  He doesn’t have a lot of DC experience but with a good staff, it could work. 

7 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Agreed.  He’s a very DB coach.  He doesn’t have a lot of DC experience but with a good staff, it could work. 

Maybe we could bring him in as the new DB coach?

11 minutes ago, around4ever said:

They worked with each other at UTx, so there is history and familiarity

3 hours ago, weagl1 said:

Gus had some good assistants the problem was him.  The big move was getting rid of Gus and Chad was just Gus 2.0.  Bicknell had the OLine doing much better but the talent and depth is where we need help. He hasn’t had time to address that.  Caddy brought in a 5* talent and had him playing at a very high level, the best we have had in years especially considering the OLine he was running behind.  Our defensive staff is as good as anybody’s.  TWill has upgraded our LB’s.  Rodney has always been a great recruiter and develops D linemen as good as anybody in the country.  Our DB coaches are OK I wouldn’t make an argument one way or another on them.  I would love to see TRob come home.  And that leaves Steele.  I have heard all the rumors about the coup attempt and I don’t know if any of it is factual or not.  I suspect exaggerated but even it is partially true he helped get rid of Gus and there is a lot of agreement Gus needed to go.  Of course, we can’t have him undercutting the new coach but he is so near retirement what’s his incentive to do that?  Otherwise I don’t see a justification for getting rid of him he has done a great job since he was hired and kept us in a lot of games when our offense was not pulling its weight.  

I mean there's some good thoughts, but my thought process while reading this is that you just want to try coloring the same painting a different color. There's also just too many assistants out there to redo the whole thing. I could see if we had a Clemson or Alabama staff...but ours isn't so good to where I feel like it's worth it to just run it back. Esp with Steele. 

some of these suggestions is the problem we have in football, esp in the NFL. Prioritizing exp, even if it isn't great exp (especially in recent memory), and familiarity over upside and a modern outlook 

BH should get a few guys who know the game. he shouldnt have ONLY old heads 

I personally could care a less if Harsin hires someone from the AU Family. I want to win! Choose the best coaches to help us win. Once they get to AU they become part of the AU Family. 

13 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Kevin Steele did a good job for us while he was here. I for one hope we get someone more complex with coverages and blitz packages. We always just seemed Vanilla. Either our base defense or sell the farm it seemed. 

I for one would love for CBH to bring Coach Andy Avalos from Oregon. He worked with him previously at BSU. I think it would be a fairly easy transition with the players we currently have. IIRC his base is a 3-3-5 where we ran a 4-2-5 but CAA would often have 4 down linemen. Avalos mixes a lot of stuff together and has done a good job at his current post. 

I also wouldn't mind switching to a 3-4 so we would align better with NFL schemes. We would definitely have to have a few years to change the personnel to fit (esp LB) but it might be worth it in the long run.

Some of you X's and O's gurus give me your take on CAA and or who you would like to see and why?

Avalos has been mentioned as a possible candidate to replace  Harsin at Boise State.

I'd be surprised if Harsin doesn't hire someone he knows very well to run his offense. On the defensive side I can see him stepping outside his comfort zone if an interesting candidate surfaces. I am anxiously awaiting his choices.

6 minutes ago, JFDTiger80 said:

I'd be surprised if Harsin doesn't hire someone he knows very well to run his offense. On the defensive side I can see him stepping outside his comfort zone if an interesting candidate surfaces. I am anxiously awaiting his choices.

This thought has made me think he may go with Major Applewhite since the presser. But I don’t really understand all his current contract situation. I know he was supposed to go to Ark St. with Butch but he accepted a OC job at South Alabama but I’m not sure if anything was finalized. 

The person who mentioned Al Borges... come on... lol. Can we stop trying to rehash old coordinators that had some success here? 

5 minutes ago, Taco said:

This thought has made me think he may go with Major Applewhite since the presser. But I don’t really understand all his current contract situation. I know he was supposed to go to Ark St. with Butch but he accepted a OC job at South Alabama but I’m not sure if anything was finalized. 

The person who mentioned Al Borges... come on... lol. Can we stop trying to rehash old coordinators that had some success here? 

Borges was gorgeous for a couple of years, but he never seemed to be the same after getting clobbered on the sidelines in one of our games. Anybody else remember that?

51 minutes ago, chizhead said:

It was against Alabama when he was knocked out by the LBer that cried because Tubs didn't offer him a schollie. Played in the NFL and I forget his name

Demeco Ryans 

30 minutes ago, metafour said:

Nothing official, but it's looking like Boise is targeting Kellen Moore for its HC opening. 

How Boise State of them 

Archived