Coach Harsin's First Presser (3:30 CT)

Zeek

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

If we start off 3-9 that will mean we lost every SEC game and Penn St. That will be a huge disappointment and coaching malpractice.

9 losses in close games and showing improvement as the season goes on is by no means great.  But the example is an extreme to show my point.   I want to see us be competitive and improving game by game,  year by year.   It is all I ask for the first year or two.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

I don't like Nike.

They make better football uniforms, cleats,sideline gear, basketball shoes, basketball uniforms, and coaches gear than Under Armour. They also funnel hundreds, if not thousands, of players every year through AAU basketball. Fan gear is subjective but I think UA’s is f***ing garbage. There’s a reason Nike is the top sportswear company in the world and UA has been losing contracts with schools all over the country and struggling to keep their head above water. 

54 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

If Gus can win 6 games a year I know Bryan can. We won’t go 3-9. Ever

LOL.  You make it sound like I want to go 3-9.  or that I expect it.  But if it happens I am not going to lose my s*** as long as we are showing improvement.    I don't think we will go 3-9.  Just an extreme example showing we can not judge a new coach on W and Ls alone in the first year.   And,  that we need to be supportive until CBH  has had a chance to install his system with his players.

This hire screams “let’s build a program” with hard work and dedication. He seems like the type of coach that will look at all of the details and demand excellence in every facet. 
I think we could have hired other coaches, like freeze or kiffen, that would have been more splashy and fun. They have bigger personalities.
But we went in a direction of trying to get a guy that is no nonsense and will hold people accountable. This seems more like a long-term higher than it does a quick fix or bandaid. 
I hope it works! Liked the press conference a lot. 

1 hour ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

If Gus can win 6 games a year I know Bryan can. We won’t go 3-9. Ever

Well I will say that if not for the sec refs gifting us a few games this year (I mean literally gifts) we would have 3 more losses. That would put us at 3-7.
go back and watch KY, Ark, and ole miss. It is not even a miracle we won. It was a mistake. 
This team, while having talent in some areas, really needs better players and discipline. We were heading down the wrong path. We were about to be a .500 team or worse pretty soon as All other sec teams we’re getting better except for us, especially in recruiting. 

15 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

9 losses in close games and showing improvement as the season goes on is by no means great.  But the example is an extreme to show my point.   I want to see us be competitive and improving game by game,  year by year.   It is all I ask for the first year or two.

Pat Dye’s first team was 5-6, but tough as nails. But he inherited a 3 win program. 

1 minute ago, gr82b4au said:

Well I will say that if not for the sec refs gifting us a few games this year (I mean literally gifts) we would have 3 more losses. That would put us at 3-7.
go back and watch KY, Ark, and ole miss. It is not even a miracle we won. It was a mistake. 
This team, while having talent in some areas, really needs better players and discipline. We were heading down the wrong path. We were about to be a .500 team or worse pretty soon as All other sec teams we’re getting better except for us, especially in recruiting. 

That is true. But I believe Gus is a horrible coach, so I would not be surprised at 3-9 under him. I don’t see that happening under the new guy

13 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

LOL.  You make it sound like I want to go 3-9.  or that I expect it.  But if it happens I am not going to lose my s*** as long as we are showing improvement.    I don't think we will go 3-9.  Just an extreme example showing we can not judge a new coach on W and Ls alone in the first year.   And,  that we need to be supportive until CBH  has had a chance to install his system with his players.

Not sure how you got the impression that I think that you want us going 3-9, but okay. But I see your point about extremes, and I’m on board with your larger point that we need to be patient. My point is simply that if Gus can get us 6-8 wins a year then this guy should be just fine. 

12 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Not sure how you got the impression that I think that you want us going 3-9, but okay. But I see your point about extremes, and I’m on board with your larger point that we need to be patient. My point is simply that if Gus can get us 6-8 wins a year then this guy should be just fine. 

100% agreed.    If Tot can and Chizik can go undefeated at Auburn, than anyone can win at Auburn.  I think the future is very, very bright with Harsin. 

WDE brother.

What I want to see is a team that performs every week. Not a team that shows up and beats bama and Georgia then loses to a bad South Carolina or struggles against Jacksonville state . I want a coach that prepares his team each week and knows how to motivate them in game day to give their best consistently . One that improves talent game to game year to year. Not a coach that’s gets 5 star talent and turns them into sandlot ball players like Gus did. 

54 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

...Not a coach that’s gets 5 star talent and turns them into sandlot ball players like Gus did. 

This comment wins the day.

7 hours ago, autiger88 said:

One thing I gotta say about this is I believe the same thing I just hope for Auburn's sake and the fans we have patience. Dabo didn't win right off the bat it took a while before he could do what he has done now. If and I mean if we have got a coach like Dabo and Saban mixed we better give him time and patience he is gonna have to change the atmosphere that we have put up with for years. IT WILL TAKE TIME. nobody needs to be bitchin about wins and losses for at least two years if not three or four, unless we just look like utter crap then I would understand us bitchen but as of right now I don't see us ever looking like what Gus teams look like sometimes. WAR DAMN EAGLE!!

I don't expect a miracle - or even a swift - make over, I just want to see steady and consistent progress from year to year.  I'm tired of the "roller coaster" fan experience! 

I remember the few years under Dye when Auburn was described as "re-loading" from one year to the next and we were known for smash mouth football.  I want that again.

We'll know a lot about Harsin's style on Sept 18, 2021.  Big road game at Penn State.

Do we go in there and play our ass off for 60 minutes or do we roll over on the road like we have been for years.  If I walk out of Beaver Stadium, win or lose, knowing that I just saw a team fight for 4 quarters, I'll be very optimistic about the program.

6 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

When Gus was coach at Arky State, the players wanted to wear gray uniforms for a game, but he always refused. When CBH took over for Gus in 2013 and the team visited JHS to play Gus and Auburn, CBH outfitted his players in those gray uniforms, despite being penalized for it. I get the feeling he is on board with the "new age crap."

The difference is, very few people in the country know what Ark. State - or Boise State for that matter - uniforms look like in the first place.

On the other hand, everyone in the country instantly recognizes Auburn's home and away uniforms.  It's a valuable trade mark that we should be careful to preserve. 

(Now if we could just settle on black shoes with dark stockings..... ;D

3 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Yeah the OL is a problem but the thing about BH is he’s a great at making adjustments to work around it. I repeat, this is not a rebuild  

It’s not a rebuild to go consistently win 7-8 games. 

It’s a rebuild to become a powerhouse. 

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The difference is, very few people in the country know what Ark. State - or Boise State for that matter - uniforms look like in the first place.

On the other hand, everyone in the country instantly recognizes Auburn's home and away uniforms.  It's a valuable trade mark that we should be careful to preserve. 

I agree our uniforms are classic but if the players want a special uniform every once in a while, we should support it. They are the ones playing and risking their body everyday.

3 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I don't like Nike.

I work in an athletic department. Not an SEC level but in the NCAA. 

You can have your personal opinions about brands, but if Nike is serious about wanting to sponsor your program, you can’t beat their incentives. Adidas and UA will usually give more upfront, but in the long run, they are so much more lucrative regarding kick-backs, licensing money, and all the gear and recruitment boost to programs that come with it. 

2 minutes ago, Taco said:

I work in an athletic department. Not an SEC level but in the NCAA. 

You can have your personal opinions about brands, but if Nike is serious about wanting to sponsor your program, you can’t beat their incentives. Adidas and UA will usually give more upfront, but in the long run, they are so much more lucrative regarding kick-backs, licensing money, and all the gear and recruitment boost to programs that come with it. 

Yep. 

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Lol I'm not suggesting we go crazy with it, and I like our traditional look. Plenty of teams with trademark uniforms have done some alternates that look great, without diminishing the value of the traditional ones.

5 minutes ago, caleb1633 said:

Lol I'm not suggesting we go crazy with it, and I like our traditional look. Plenty of teams with trademark uniforms have done some alternates that look great, without diminishing the value of the traditional ones.

I think something like what Kentucky has done with their uniforms would be fantastic. It’s classic but still modern. And I LOVE their chrome helmets when they break those out. 

9 hours ago, wcware said:

I agree our uniforms are classic but if the players want a special uniform every once in a while, we should support it. They are the ones playing and risking their body everyday.

I would be OK with "every once in a while" as long as we don't get carried away with orange.

Someone posted a proposed AU uni with blue helmet, blue jersey and blue pants  - I have to admit -  it looked pretty sharp.

Archived