2021 Player Addition and Player Attrition

Zeek

41 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Just being given the opportunity should be enough.   I'd give my house to have the physical ability play organized football or even backyard football again.  I loved that shi7! 

If I was 50 years younger and actually had talent there is nothing that could stop me from playing.   Organized, backyard,  what they now call " kill the man with the ball"...  coach,  no coach,  good or bad  coach.   It doesn't matter.    Playing football is just Fing fun!

Play every game you can while you are young.  Youth is fleeting.

Yeah but I highly doubt you have ever been close to being an NFL prospect. A little bit different when your body is an investment. You are talking about organized backyard football 

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah but I highly doubt you have ever been close to being an NFL prospect. A little bit different when your body is an investment. You are talking about organized backyard football 

No  doubt about it.    Then again,  my lack of talent and skills unfairly kept me from getting a scholarship, wining the Heisman and going pro.   LOL

I still can not imagine a world where you would be given a chance to play and refuse it. 

4 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

No  doubt about it.    Then again,  my lack of talent and skills unfairly kept me from getting a scholarship, wining the Heisman and going pro.   LOL

I still can not imagine a world where you would be given a chance to play and refuse it. 

Exactly . Because you are thinking from a mindset of someone who never had the opportunity to use their skill set as an investment for millions. No different than the fans who say “ why doesn’t Phil Knight just outbid everyone else.” He didn’t get to where he got to by making wise decisions. If you never had a million dollars, it’s easy to say what you would do if you were worth several hundred million 

"It was like this for me decades ago, under vastly different conditions, and in no way resembling the circumstances surrounding a college football player participating in a bowl game in 2020. But it was like this for me, so it should be like this for these players, too. 

What I think is what everyone else should think, especially kids with completely different concerns than mine and about whom I know almost nothing. I see no reason to spend even 5 seconds considering the criteria that go into their decisions, which are assuredly foreign to me as I've never even been in their area code, much less been in their shoes. 

To all my fellow judgmental old white men, feel free to just copy and paste that. It's the same thing many of you are saying, except more honest. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly . Because you are thinking from a mindset of someone who never had the opportunity to use their skill set as an investment for millions. No different than the fans who say “ why doesn’t Phil Knight just outbid everyone else.” He didn’t get to where he got to by making wise decisions. If you never had a million dollars, it’s easy to say what you would do if you were worth several hundred million 

My talents were  not football related.    I had to take many risks to get to where I am today. Some paid off some failed.  My risks were not physical or worth millions,  but often times "life changing" money.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Exactly . Because you are thinking from a mindset of someone who never had the opportunity to use their skill set as an investment for millions.

I think most football players would want to play football, until their handlers talk them into becoming investors. Trask is a football player first and a future millionaire second, he played last night. His teammates who left the Gators hung out to dry have become investors. My respect goes to the football players.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

"It was like this for me decades ago, under vastly different conditions, and in no way resembling the circumstances surrounding a college football player participating in a bowl game in 2020. But it was like this for me, so it should be like this for these players, too. 

What I think is what everyone else should think, especially kids with completely different concerns than mine and about whom I know almost nothing. I see no reason to spend even 5 seconds considering the criteria that go into their decisions, which are assuredly foreign to me as I've never even been in their area code, much less been in their shoes. 

To all my fellow judgmental old white men, feel free to just copy and paste that. It's the same thing many of you are saying, except more honest. 

I am not sure where you are going with this.   I don't see anyone saying others should think like they do.  It is just a bunch of people discussing their opinions and providing different perspectives.    I enjoy the different perspectives.  They can be enlightening. 

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

My talents were  not football related.    I had to take many risks to get to where I am today. Some paid off some failed.  My risks were not physical or worth millions,  but often times "life changing" money.

It wasn’t about money. That was just an example. It is easy to say what you would’ve done if you never ever been in those positions. It’s easy for someone who never was even offered a scholarship to say “ I can’t see why someone would refuse to play, etc, etc.”

but some of these young men who have been studs since their youth , who’ve had numerous of scholarship offers, probably even threw away the offers they don’t even care about,

probably realized long ago they have a unique skill set that sets them apart from the rest and they need to maximize every effort to use that ability to put them in power positions. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think most football players would want to play football, until their handlers talk them into becoming investors. Trask is a football player first and a future millionaire second, he played last night. His teammates who left the Gators hung out to dry have become investors. My respect goes to the football players.

Most of these athletes who group up poor realize way before anyone else that their skill set is an investment and therefore going to use it like that. I doubt they care for your respect . You are going to watch them regardless. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Most of these athletes who group up poor realize way before anyone else that their skill set is an investment and therefore going to use it like that. I doubt they care for your respect . You are going to watch them regardless. 

Certainly they don't care about my respect, but they don't have it nonetheless. I can't imagine being on a team, being a key part, and deserting my team because I can make just as much money by going home and hanging out. It's a character issue and anyone who would do that to his fellow players, coaches and the school that made his situation possible is sadly lacking in character.

8 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I am not sure where you are going with this.   I don't see anyone saying others should think like they do.  It is just a bunch of people discussing their opinions and providing different perspectives.    I enjoy the different perspectives.  They can be enlightening. 

Change "should be" to "would be for me"- which, to be fair, is the perspective from which  most of your thoughts have come- and there's no issue.

As for others, oh, there's been plenty of opinions shared as indictments in this thread. Happens year after year in almost every discussion. 

No one to my knowledge has said so ITT, but it's time to thank Sandberg for his time and encourage him to do something else.  Possibly Loy too.  They're taking up space.

As far as the RB room, losing Goodwin is probably the biggest loss in a while considering that MAR is leaving.  FWIW, I thought he looked OK, but even based on what I saw, he was never going to be a difference maker at Auburn or in the SEC.  He's a Conference USA type player, IMO.

Shivers if used correctly could have been more than we got out of him.  

I'm in the minority of AU fans but I don't think DJ Williams is high SEC level, either.  

RB is an absolute mess right now.  Have to hope for a very talented transfer, IMO.  Maybe a small school guy that tore it up looking for the challenge of the SEC.

All those TEs are a waste.  Luke Deal should have been groomed for OT from Day 1 especially after he got hurt.  

Gus' actual biggest failure is he seemingly had no idea how to manage a roster.  Zero.  None.  It's like they never even thought about it.

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Change "should be" to "would be for me"- which, to be fair, is the perspective from which  most of your thoughts have come- and there's no issue.

As for others, oh, there's been plenty of opinions shared as indictments in this thread. Happens year after year in almost every discussion. 

It's all good to me.   I don't mean to offend anyone, and apologize if I have.  I do not take offense to anything said here.   I see the debating as "sparring".   We are all family here.  Maybe a bit dysfunctional at times.  LOL   To me, arguments  amongst ourselves are just practice for when we have to deal with bammers or local team fans in other states. 

WDE

Let me pose this question to you all since we are referring to players sitting out:

Say legislation passes that allows colleges to pay athletes to play for their program.  Now that these players have been paid to play for the season, are they allowed to still opt out having received money to play that game?  If they can opt out, do they have to refund the university the money?  If they transfer, do they have to refund the university?

Just a thought and I was curious of your opinions.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Let me pose this question to you all since we are referring to players sitting out:

Say legislation passes that allows colleges to pay athletes to play for their program.  Now that these players have been paid to play for the season, are they allowed to still opt out having received money to play that game?  If they can opt out, do they have to refund the university the money?  If they transfer, do they have to refund the university?

Pay them after the work is done, like most any other wage, and you eliminate this problem.

8 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

It's all good to me.   I don't mean to offend anyone, and apologize if I have.  I do not take offense to anything said here.   I see the debating as "sparring".   We are all family here.  Maybe a bit dysfunctional at times.  LOL   To me, arguments  amongst ourselves are just practice for when we have to deal with bammers or local team fans in other states. 

WDE

I genuinely appreciate your attitude and honestly wish I was as laid back myself. But there are a couple things I can't let go- again, I know it's a personal failing- and one of them is when I perceive people to be judging the players on a personal level for their decisions when they are ignorant to the circumstances around and real world repercussions of those decisions. And some do it very flippantly and blatantly and in the process expose their own extremely low character.

But I do not have you confused for one of those types. WDE back at you. 

8 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That may start a contractual obligation to play.    If Adidas, Underoos or PlayStation  are  going to pay you for the  likeness of your image....

On 12/24/2020 at 10:07 PM, Zeek said:

Coaching Staff (Previous--->New)

HC | Gus Malzahn ---> Bryan Harsin

OC | Chad Morris ---> 

QB | Chad Morris --->

RB | Carnell Williams --->

WR | Kodi Burns --->

TE-HB | Larry Porter --->

OL | Jack Bicknell Jr. --->

-------------------------------

DC | Kevin Steele --->

DL | Rodney Garner --->

LB | Travis Williams --->

DB | Wesley McGriff --->

D Analyst | Al Pogue --->

ST | Larry Porter --->

SC | Ryan Russell --->

Players (not projecting only marking players as leaving once it's confirmed) 

Quarterbacks (5->6)

Bo Nix

Grant Loy

Cord Sandberg

Chayil Garnett

Dematrius Davis

Sawyer Pate

Running Backs (5->2)

Tank Bigsby

DJ Williams

Wide Receivers (11->11)

Seth Williams 

Eli Stove

Kobe Hudson

Ja'Varrius Johnson

Shedrick Jackson

Malcolm Johnson Jr

Elijah Canion 

Caylin Newton

Ze'vian Capers

JJ Evans

Hal Presley

Tight Ends & HBacks (5->7)

JJ Pegues

Brandon Frazier

Luke Deal

Tyler Fromm

John Samuel Shenker

Landen King

Grant Calcaterra

Offensive Linemen (15->15)

Jalil Irvin

Nick Brahms

Tate Johnson

Brenden Coffey

Tashawn Manning

Avery Jernigan

Keiondre Jones

Brodarious Hamm

Kameron Stutts 

Alec Jackson

Austin Troxell

Brandon Council

Prince Micheal Sammons

Kilian Zierer 

Kamaar Bell

Garner Langlo 

Defensive Linemen & Buck (15->19)

Colby Wooden

Derick Hall

Romello Height

TD Moultry

Big Kat Bryant

Zykeivous Walker

Jay Hardy

Caleb Johnson

Daniel Foster-Allen

Jaren Handy

Daquan Newkirk

Dre Butler

Jeremiah Wright

Marquis Burks

Tyrone Truesdell

Lee Hunter 

Marquis Robinson

Tobechi Okoli 

Ian Matthews

Coynis Miller 

Linebackers (10->7)

Owen Pappoe

Zakoby McClain

Desmond Tisdol 

Chandler Wooten

Wesley Steiner

Cam Riley

Kameron Brown

Defensive Backs (15->15)

Chris Thompson Jr

Christian Tutt

Devan Barrett

Ladarius Tennison 

Nehemiah Pritchett

Jordyn Peters

Malcolm Askew 

Marco Domio 

Smoke Monday

Eric Reed Jr

Zion Puckett

Jaylin Simpson

Ahmari Harvey

Kamal Hadden

Armani Diamond

Matthew Hill

Kicker

Anders Carlson

Punter

Ian Marshall

Oscar Chapman

Will clean this up when I'm on the laptop

Removed McCreary, Sherwood, Worm, and Schwartz. Will add them back if something changes.

On 12/31/2020 at 11:54 AM, McLoofus said:

“These players can do whatever they want, but you, white guy, can’t have an opinion that differs from theirs.”

1 minute ago, woodford said:

“These players can do whatever they want, but you, white guy, can’t have an opinion that differs from theirs.”

Bingo!!!

On 12/31/2020 at 12:34 PM, abw0004 said:

I genuinely believe that if players begin to receive stipends/money on top of scholarships, the question of being allowed to opt in or out would be a definitive part of that “employment agreement”. That is exactly what it then becomes.

28 minutes ago, woodford said:

26 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Bingo!!!

You're clowns. 

No problem having a different opinion. But you're a jackass if you judge these kids' character based on whether or not they choose to play in this bowl game.

On 12/30/2020 at 7:01 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

If Harsin were coaching this game that would matter. The real question is between the zoom session and any of the other talks he has had with the players if that will fire them up.

Unfortunately, you can't wipe out 8 years of doing it the wrong way with one zoom meeting and a few texts. But I'm sure Harsin will see some things by how these guys approach and handle the game today.

And I couldn't give a rat's rear end whether they decide to opt in or opt out, except if you opt out, you're done at Auburn unless it was for a LEGITIMATE health concern reason.

Archived