2021 Player Addition and Player Attrition

Zeek

1 minute ago, OB4AU said:

No. We have been "programmed to receive". It is time to "checkout anytime you like" but "we will never leave".

Welcome to the Hotel California.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, triangletiger said:

Welcome to the Hotel California.

First album I ever owned and it still never gets old. Although, I struggle when I hear the story that the reason Takeo Spikes left AU early was because Terry Bowden didn't take coaching serious and the last straw was the helicopter that flew in after practice and picked up he and his wife to go to Atlanta for the Eagles Farewell Concert Tour stop.

8 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I could have sworn I read somewhere last week that Loy would not return?

Lemme look

32 minutes ago, Butthead said:

I hate to sound like an ass but do we need to worry about these Au related hires?

@Butthead In these instances no. Mason has total autonomy on D hires which is why we have seen name changes on every position on candidates on D since Mason was hired. Zac was all Mason. Bobo also has great influnce on O hires.

32 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Is this being pushed by the boosters who shall not be named?

Caddy & Zac, nope!

30 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

I count 3 on field spots

WR

DL

ST or Spitting up LBs or DBs

@Tony4AUWe haven't named any LB coaches yet. The one that was expected is likely going to be the Boise DC. Plus T-Will hasn't interviewed yet.

I can't find a thing suggesting Grant Loy is leaving. Nothing the other direction either for what it's worth. 

I think I'm caught up now. Day two of my tournament tomorrow so I hope there's not a bunch of announcements again lol

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@Tony4AUWe haven't named any LB coaches yet. The one that was expected is likely going to be the Boise DC. Plus T-Will hasn't interviewed yet.

Was going by the running list that shows Schmedding as ILB Coach.  

20 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Was going by the running list that shows Schmedding as ILB Coach.  

Not sure why Zeek has him listed there but he has not been hired yet.

Seems like harsin is aligning himself with good coaches and guys that can really relate to recruits, really can’t say anything negative about the approach 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Day two of my tournament tomorrow  

I am assuming that is a wrestling tourney.??

You ever wrestle a blind wrestler?

A buddy of mine had a scholly to Oklahoma back in the day.   He ended up in the marines during Vietnam.  He had a son that was a local high school wrestling badass.  He won almost everything in his division his sophomore year.   His dad told me he was worried because his son was becoming extremely arrogant.  

His dad knew the wrestling coach at the school for the blind here in Little Rock.   His dad set up some wrestling practice/sparing  between his son and one of the blind  school wresting coaches up and coming stars.  I thought "WTF a blind wrestler"??      so I tagged along.

This guy wiped the mat with my buddies son.  pretty much literally.  It was like my buddy's son was wrestling for the first time.    They went at it for a good 20 minutes.   The blind guy pinning my buddies son within 15 - 20 seconds.  Over and over and over.  Humbled described it perfectly.   

To this day, I have never seen anything like it. 

My buddy on the car ride home explained to me that the blind wrestlers could tell were every inch of you body is just by being grabbed.

12 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

A buddy of mine had a scholly to Oklahoma back in the day.   He ended up in the marines during Vietnam.  He had a son that was a local high school wrestling badass.  He won almost everything in his division his sophomore year.   His dad told me he was worried because his son was becoming extremely arrogant.  

His dad knew the wrestling coach at the school for the blind here in Little Rock.   His dad set up some wrestling practice/sparing  between his son and one of the blind  school wresting coaches up and coming stars.  I thought "WTF a blind wrestler"??      so I tagged along.

This guy wiped the mat with my buddies son.  pretty much literally.  It was like my buddy's son was wrestling for the first time.    They went at it for a good 20 minutes.   The blind guy pinning my buddies son within 15 - 20 seconds.  Over and over and over.  Humbled described it perfectly.   

My buddy on the car ride home explained to me that the blind wrestlers could tell were every inch of you body is just by being grabbed.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I have a neighbor whose sons both played college basketball. How? He took them both down to Birmingham to the YMCA when they were young and made them play against bigger, faster older guys. Sometimes they would get in the car to leave and they would be crying. They were both good high school players and we went to the state tournament for several years. The whole team caught fire in middle school because of them and they started winning a lot of games and several went on to college. Being humbled is a great life lesson for your children. 

23 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Being humbled is a great life lesson for your children. 

Some adults need it too.

When I was 5 years old I was showing off to my grandmother how high I could jump.   I would jump up the stairway... 2 steps at a time. They were steep steps for a 5 year old. maybe 12-14 steps in all.   I would get to the top  and do the highest vertical I could do,  maybe 13 inches.?   I KNEW I was the  highest jumper in the world.   I would announce such confidence to the world when I was done. 

My grandmother saw this and said, "you can't jump worth a darn.  I can jump higher than you."  and she proceeded to jump about a 27" vertical. 

She said,  "It wasn't even close.  I can jump way higher than you!"

So I pushed her down the stairs.  She was much more humble from then on.

**  No grandmothers were hurt during the making of this joke.

Anybody know when/if TWill interviews? 

2 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Some adults need it too.

When I was 5 years old I was showing off to my grandmother how high I could jump.   I would jump up the stairway... 2 steps at a time. They were steep steps for a 5 year old. maybe 12-14 steps in all.   I would get to the top  and do the highest vertical I could do,  maybe 13 inches.?   I KNEW I was the  highest jumper in the world.   I would announce such confidence to the world when I was done. 

My grandmother saw this and said, "you can't jump worth a darn.  I can jump higher than you."  and she proceeded to jump about a 27" vertical. 

She said,  "It wasn't even close.  I can jump way higher than you!"

So I pushed her down the stairs.  She was much more humble from then on.

**  No grandmothers were hurt during the making of this joke.

I'll never forget the last words my grandfather ever said me. He said, "Stop shaking the ladder, you little s---!"

7 hours ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

We have the Florida School of the Deaf and the Blind in our region so yes! There's a few reasons that they're difficult to wrestle!

1. You have to keep contact with them at all times. If you're not touching the ref resets you. For "space" wrestlers this can be incredibly frustrating. It's like making an outside speed-back run up the gut against a loaded box. Mentally, some kids get in their own heads about keeping contact.

2. There's not a lot of "setups" you can do without breaking contact. Again, this is something that can be incredibly difficult to adjust to for kids who only do a few moves well.

3. Balance or what wrestling coaches call "having good hips". Really this is the ability to feel how someone's weight is disturbed and where their momentum goes; it's also having a feel for your own body and having good body control. Coaches argue just how much you can improve in this area or if it's a natural instinct or trait. Blind wrestlers have to have "good hips" period. Without that they would have zero chance of winning. It's a less dramatic version of Daredevil where the other senses are heightened so to speak.

4. No visual distractions. There are a lot of ways to use visual misdirection as well. These things obviously do not work.

5. A lot of coaches will teach Blind wrestlers mostly throws. Throws are high risk and high reward moves. So much so that most coaches teach not to do them unless you're losing by a lot. They're to be used as a desperation move. So it's like playing a game against a team with nothing to lose in football. Yeah gadget plays don't always work but if they're repeatedly using then it can get you flustered real quick. Also, most coaches I've met never bothered learning Greco-Roman wrestling so they're not as familiar with how not to get thrown.

Short answer: yes it's not fun. They are however incredibly fascinating to watch when they're good. 

Zeek I have copied the players you show as returning or coming in from next year. I realize some are seniors or may still hit transfer portal but on paper I think we have potential for a really good team.

Quarterbacks (5->4) - Need to develop a QB from this group or grad transfer but some talent here
Bo Nix
Grant Loy
Chayil Garnett
Dematrius Davis
Sawyer Pate (Walk-On might receive a scholly)

Running Backs (5->2) - Need to keep Shivers, find some depth but is great 1-2 punch
Tank Bigsby
Shaun Shivers

Wide Receivers (11->10) - Young but talented with size, and speed. Need the right O and a QB to Utilize them.
Kobe Hudson
Ja'Varrius Johnson
Shedrick Jackson
Malcolm Johnson Jr
Elijah Canion 
Caylin Newton
Ze'vian Capers
JJ Evans
Hal Presley

Tight Ends & HBacks (5->6) - I expect to lose 1 or 2 to Portal but most TE Talent Auburn has ever had need to use them.
JJ Pegues
Brandon Frazier
Luke Deal
Tyler Fromm
John Samuel Shenker
Landen King

Offensive Linemen (15->16) - Showed signs of improvement if can stay healthy can have a decent O-Line. Need to work with S& C coach and get better at fundamentals. Sammons is gone and could use some help from Portal.
Jalil Irvin
Nick Brahms
Tate Johnson
Brenden Coffey
Tashawn Manning
Avery Jernigan
Keiondre Jones
Brodarious Hamm
Kameron Stutts 
Alec Jackson
Austin Troxell
Brandon Council
Prince Micheal Sammons
Kilian Zierer 
Kamaar Bell
Garner Langlo

Defensive Linemen & Buck (15->19) - expect CAt and Moultry to leave -  Edge rushers need to contain better and need more consistent inside push also hope less vanilla play (love some stunts between DT's and DE's). Some maybe become LB's in new defense.
Big Kat Bryant
Colby Wooden
Derick Hall
Romello Height
TD Moultry
Zykeivous Walker
Jay Hardy
Caleb Johnson
Daniel Foster-Allen
Jaren Handy
Daquan Newkirk
Dre Butler
Jeremiah Wright
Marquis Burks
Tyrone Truesdell
Lee Hunter
Marquis Robinson
Tobechi Okoli
Ian Matthews

Linebackers (10->7) - some talent if some of the Bucks become LB's and are coached up could be a strength. Wooten may leave.
Owen Pappoe
Zakoby McClain
Desmond Tisdol 
Chandler Wooten
Wesley Steiner
Cam Riley
Kameron Brown

Defensive Backs (15->16) - Should be a strength. Also hope to see more of a mixture of our man for man and zone defenses this year.
Roger McCreary
Jordyn Peters
Jamien Sherwood
Chris Thompson Jr
Devan Barrett
Ladarius Tennison 
Nehemiah Pritchett
Malcolm Askew 
Marco Domio 
Smoke Monday
Eric Reed Jr
Zion Puckett
Jaylin Simpson
Ahmari Harvey
Kamal Hadden
Armani Diamond

Kicker - We are in good hands.
Anders Carlson

Punter - Solid but I hope to see our Aussie go to next level this year.
Ian Marshall
Oscar Chapman

Bottom line the cupboard is not bare but a lot of questions. Will we get consistent QB Play? Will O-Line take a step forward? Will O adjust to take advantage of talent especially WR's and TE's while still using our 1-2 RB punch? I am assuming a different D how quick can players learn it? We have the talent on D lets hope they develop.

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

Jeff Schmedding will coach LBs and also be Co-DC.

On 12/24/2020 at 10:07 PM, Zeek said:

HC | Gus Malzahn --->  Bryan Harsin

OC | Chad Morris --->  Mike Bobo

QB | Chad Morris ---> Mike Bobo

RB | Carnell Williams ---> STAYING

WR | Kodi Burns --->

TE-HB | Larry Porter ---> Brad Bedell (Co-OL)

OL | Jack Bicknell Jr. ---> Will Friend

What an upgrade across the board...well, except for Caddy

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What an upgrade across the board...well, except for Caddy

He's an upgraded Caddy 2.0. Another year experience and meshed with an attacking offense. 

As you know, teams tend to take on the personality of the coach.  Doesn't it feel like, as fans even, we are already taking on that personality? I know I am.  I feel like if you are in our way this year, we are running you over. Feeling confident in our structure now and genuinely excited for football season.  Heck I'm ready for anything related to football starting for Auburn, like winter workouts lol. 

Archived