2021 Player Addition and Player Attrition

Zeek

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

A pandemic that has next to zero effect on healthy 20-year olds. Your team is playing. If you don't want to be part of the team, then hit the road.

Another moronic comment. Most 19 year olds are smarter than you.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sciencenews.org/article/covid19-coronavirus-heart-injury-college-athletes-sports/amp

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, toddc said:

I agree! If you opt out your next move should be the transfer option or declare for the draft. Period.

I'm torn with the opt outs honestly.  2020 is a weird and strange year and dedication, commitment, loyalty have wavered among athletes due to the unusual circumstances. 

I see many opt outs and some folks (coaches, etc.) appear fine with it and are willing to let the player make their own decisions.  Then I see other programs where players appear to not have let 2020 affect them at all, they just continue to work hard in their quest to be the best and plug away with school and their responsibilities on the field.  For some programs it's like business a usual, stick to the plan, do your job like always - for others it's like a freebie year that just doesn't really matter.  :dunno:

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Most 19 year olds would realize that the study you just linked to was tiny and not reproducible. In other words, it's been discredited. This was discussed here back in September.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Most 19 year olds would realize that the study you just linked to was tiny and not reproducible. In other words, it's been discredited. This was discussed here back in September.

Only a moron thinks the question of long-term health effects of this disease are fully known.  Like I said, under normal circumstances, skip the bowl, hit the road. Ain’t nothing normal about this game we’re fixing to play.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

Only a moron thinks the question of long-term health effects of this disease are fully known.  Like I said, under normal circumstances, skip the bowl, hit the road. Ain’t nothing normal about this game we’re fixing to play.

I'll make this simple for you. Go back and read the entire article you linked to. Unless the article is over your head, you'll see how invalid the argument against playing because of the virus actually is.

43 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I would agree— outside of a global pandemic that is peaking.

Yes, if it’s because of COVID concerns it’s a different deal. I should have been more specific because I’m opening the door for attacks from the keyboard police. 😝 Also, agreeing with Mikey on anything, even a valid point.

1 minute ago, toddc said:

Yes, if it’s because of COVID concerns it’s a different deal. I should have been more specific because I’m opening the door for attacks from the keyboard police. 😝 

Covid,  family health issues, having a baby and family finances are honorable reasons to leave.   There may be a few others. 

Otherwise,  you are either committed or you are not. 

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

Jamien Sherwood and MAR officially out without question. 

Schwartz and Tutt opting out of the bowl puts them on "leave watch"

Anyone know why Tutt opted out? It can't be bc of Covid, since he played all year.

He's got to be kidding if he thinks he has a chance in the draft.

He was a good run stopper, but terrible on pass coverage. He was always the target on inside WRs, and gave up 1st down after 1st down. 

His punt return ability was average.

18 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

You may have a point, and there's nothing normal about this year.  But does the health related risks suddenly become paramount to a player in a bowl game even when he chose to play the whole season during the pandemic? 

I think what others are trying to say is that why opt out of the bowl game with your teammates when you didn't opt out of the season with them? 

13 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

Holy anecdotal evidence batman. 

that is an old article before all the studies were finished.   

Here are the results from the OSU study. https://www.fox5ny.com/news/ohio-state-study-30-of-student-athletes-have-heart-damage-linked-to-covid-19?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1WE4qCI8ScHs10Uk8omWQGKtkHhpcd5bZuPkEy2u4Ffm_-m2g1ECnlCO4

But more important to a 19-24 year old would be this  early observation  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8813795/Covid-19-cause-male-infertility-harming-testicular-cells-produce-sperm-study-claims.html    

resulting in this study  (and others )result From U Miami     https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article247022937.html

Maybe you are different,  But I prefer my testies to remain exit only.

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Anyone know why Tutt opted out? It can't be bc of Covid, since he played all year.

He's got to be kidding if he thinks he has a chance in the draft.

He was a good run stopper, but terrible on pass coverage. He was always the target on inside WRs, and gave up 1st down after 1st down. 

His punt return ability was average.

Play all year with your school and teammates, then opt out of the bowl game has nothing to do with the virus or the global pandemic or the second strain of virus running through Colorado right now. It's a person choice he made, and some people have every right to view it as selfish on the part of the player.  While others are perfectly fine with each player doing as they wish while Auburn pays the tab. 

For the record, I don't know how I feel about these situtations. 

5 minutes ago, keesler said:

You may have a point, and there's nothing normal about this year.  But does the health related risks suddenly become paramount to a player in a bowl game even when he chose to play the whole season during the pandemic? 

I think what others are trying to say is that why opt out of the bowl game with your teammates when you didn't opt out of the season with them? 

For Auburn, the coaching change and the story behind it adds to the weirdness. But the virus is peaking this week — its a much greater risk than it was in August. I think everything about this year has caused unprecedented stress for folks and I’m just saying there are things I would not normally excuse that I would this year.

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

that is an old article before all the studies were finished.   

Here are the results from the OSU study. https://www.fox5ny.com/news/ohio-state-study-30-of-student-athletes-have-heart-damage-linked-to-covid-19?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1WE4qCI8ScHs10Uk8omWQGKtkHhpcd5bZuPkEy2u4Ffm_-m2g1ECnlCO4

But more important to a 19-14 year old would be this  early observation  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8813795/Covid-19-cause-male-infertility-harming-testicular-cells-produce-sperm-study-claims.html    

resulting in these study result From U Miami     https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article247022937.html

Maybe you are different,  But I prefer my testies to remain exit only.

Your own daily nail article even talks about how unlikely this is. Linking this is naught but attempts to use emotional claims to indicate fear. 

Sorry, ill listen to my Dr. Wife as she talks about what a joke this all is. 

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

For Auburn, the coaching change and the story behind it adds to the weirdness. But the virus is peaking this weak— its a much greater risk than it was in August. I think everything about this year has caused unprecedented stress for folks and I’m just saying there are things I would not normally excuse that I would this year.

I understand where you're coming from and I agree somewhat.  The mediocre season with the weirdness of it all and some really bad beat downs then it all resulting in losing your HC.  It's tough.  

I also see why others view this differently.  A player chose to play with his team all year and then just chose to sit out the bowl game while the rest of his team will be practicing, working and giving their efforts for Auburn on the field in a couple of days.  Both will be getting that scholarship money just the same, but both won't necessarily be viewed the same by their fanbase.  

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

Your own daily nail article even talks about how unlikely this is. Linking this is naught but attempts to use emotional claims to indicate fear. 

I'm not willing to roll the dice with my beans.   

Your wife thinks this is all a joke?   That explains your naivety. 

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

I understand where you're coming from and I agree somewhat.  The mediocre season with the weirdness of it all and some really bad beat downs then it all resulting in losing your HC.  It's tough.  

I also see why others view this differently.  A player chose to play with his team all year and then just chose to sit out the bowl game while the rest of his team will be practicing, working and giving their efforts for Auburn on the field in a couple of days.  Both will be getting that scholarship money just the same, but both won't necessarily be viewed the same by their fanbase.  

Like I said, normally I’d cut ‘em loose. This time I’d hear them out.

7 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

I feel sorry for her patients.

20 hours ago, Beaker said:

Maybe it's me just being me, but if we lose Flash, we have that super fast phenom from VA (Johnson) who might fill that role, somewhat. 

Which Johnson are you talking about?

Unless there is someone I dont know about there are 2 different "Johnson" WRs and neither are from Virginia. 

We have Ja'Varrius Johnson from Odenville but graduated from Hewitt-Trussville. And Malcolm Johnson and he is at least listed as from Maryland on the Auburn Website

And while both are fast per se, neither of them are in remotely the same class (as far as pure speed) as Flash.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Just don’t go home and hug grandma or uncle Leo.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

There’s a number of incidents not specific to athletes of young people having unexpected outcomes:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abc7chicago.com/amp/sarah-simental-tinley-park-teen-dies-from-covid19-coronavirus-illinois/9172132

And other athletes have had issues:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/buffalo-bills-tommy-sweeney-out-season-heart-condition-myocarditis-coronavirus-covid19-pandemic-232820531.html

It’s easy for spectators to opine on what teenagers should risk for our entertainment.

28 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

A joke that people are dying? 

49 minutes ago, toddc said:

Yes, if it’s because of COVID concerns it’s a different deal. I should have been more specific because I’m opening the door for attacks from the keyboard police. 😝 Also, agreeing with Mikey on anything, even a valid point.

You open the door to having yourself judged when you pass judgment on people of whose personal circumstances you have absolutely no clue and whose decisions don't affect you in the slightest.

How about you and the other self-righteously indignant cowboys let one of these guys' teammates tell you how let down they are before you get back up on your high horse. 

Archived