2021 Player Addition and Player Attrition

Zeek

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I would say that it obviously is, and it is obvious to me because I know Devil, but the scary thing is some people actually do think that way even if they don't know it. (They like to claim that they are indignant on behalf of the players' teammates and coaches, when the reality is they just enjoy casting judgment on young men from afar. One can only guess the motivations for that.)

I agree. When I first read it I assumed it was total sarcasm but then I read a few previous comments from other posters and got worried that this was serious as well because that’s exactly how those other post read. Unfortunately without the implied sarcasm however. 

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Were I the head coach, there would be no "watch" about it. Opt out of a game the team is playing and you would leave.

This is a different situation.

1. This game is meaningless. In a usual season, it would be hard to get excited for a this game against a meh Big 10 team. Given how weird this season was to begin with, I feel like people care even less about this game. I doubt the players are any different. 

2. Even though the vaccine is starting to be distributed, COVID numbers are pretty bad right now. If this were a game that was going to have a huge impact on the season, it would be one thing. But a meaningless bowl game? I can understand someone not wanting to take a risk for a game that really doesn't matter, especially with Gus gone.

3. Speaking of Gus, most of the time, a bowl eligible team didn't fire their head coach prior to a bowl game. Regardless of our opinions on here, the players really loved Gus. I can understand them not feeling super motivated for the game, and they don't really have to worry about keeping coaches' respect since the staff is about to change anyway. 

4. With Schwartz specifically, he also does track. There's no reason to put his body on the line for this game given 1-3 above. 

54 minutes ago, AUBwins said:
On 12/27/2020 at 10:13 AM, bigbird said:

I'll defer to Golf for this one. He has far more experience than all of us

He was probably at the table when God decided to create us. 

Well, this certainly gives an explanation for the behavior on this board 

36 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

I agree. When I first read it I assumed it was total sarcasm but then I read a few previous comments from other posters and got worried that this was serious as well because that’s exactly how those other post read. Unfortunately without the implied sarcasm however. 

Does anybody read the Facebook responses to 247 articles?  My comment would have fit right in.  I spend most of my "AU sports" time on this board and Twitter...things remain level headed here, and they don't get too crazy on twitter....but good lord Facebook is a cesspool of bad takes and venom.

47 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

This is a different situation.

1. This game is meaningless. In a usual season, it would be hard to get excited for a this game against a meh Big 10 team. Given how weird this season was to begin with, I feel like people care even less about this game. I doubt the players are any different. 

2. Even though the vaccine is starting to be distributed, COVID numbers are pretty bad right now. If this were a game that was going to have a huge impact on the season, it would be one thing. But a meaningless bowl game? I can understand someone not wanting to take a risk for a game that really doesn't matter, especially with Gus gone.

3. Speaking of Gus, most of the time, a bowl eligible team didn't fire their head coach prior to a bowl game. Regardless of our opinions on here, the players really loved Gus. I can understand them not feeling super motivated for the game, and they don't really have to worry about keeping coaches' respect since the staff is about to change anyway. 

4. With Schwartz specifically, he also does track. There's no reason to put his body on the line for this game given 1-3 above. 

That's a logical response for sure.   It should also be considered that Coach Harsin said the bowl game is important and he feels like any chance a team has to practice, work, train and focus on getting better it's important to the entire team.  He said this bowl game helps the team play on the field and working to win the game just like any other game they'll play.

He believes all games should be treated with equal importance in preparation whether its uga or Vandy, whether it's the season opener or some random bowl game.  When players are allowed to let their own feelings dictate what's important and what's not for the overall team, then these new coaches will have a steeper hill to climb to change that mentality. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Your concession is noted. And wise. 

i figured you would have to open a concession stand to deal with all the replies.

45 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Does anybody read the Facebook responses to 247 articles?  My comment would have fit right in.  I spend most of my "AU sports" time on this board and Twitter...things remain level headed here, and they don't get too crazy on twitter....but good lord Facebook is a cesspool of bad takes and venom.

Oh for sure. I usually don’t even click the comments because it’s hard not to comment back and start an argument. 

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The last 2 pages have been a discussion about players opting out because they made a rational choice based off of their perception of the risk.  Yet we have posters not understanding this statement.  It’s your life, you get to make decisions based off of your perceptions of reality.

Posters have been talking about the risk. I haven't seen where a single player mentioned the ChiComm-19 virus as a reason for opting out.

If a player is soooo concerned about the virus, opting out before the first day of practice last September would have been the time. To practice all fall, play ten games and then opt out because of the bug doesn't make any sense. I expect our student-athletes are smarter than that.

They are opting out for some other reason(s), not the virus.

Let’s be honest, most of these high profile athletes have big egos. With no fans in the stands their egos are not being fed on a regular basis. They have gone from being a superstar in front of 90,000 people every Saturday, to just playing in front of their teammates. That makes a difference.

55 minutes ago, wcware said:

Let’s be honest, most of these high profile athletes have big egos. With no fans in the stands their egos are not being fed on a regular basis. They have gone from being a superstar in front of 90,000 people every Saturday, to just playing in front of their teammates. That makes a difference.

I think they know there’s tv, right?

5 hours ago, keesler said:

That's a logical response for sure.   It should also be considered that Coach Harsin said the bowl game is important and he feels like any chance a team has to practice, work, train and focus on getting better it's important to the entire team.  He said this bowl game helps the team play on the field and working to win the game just like any other game they'll play.

He believes all games should be treated with equal importance in preparation whether its uga or Vandy, whether it's the season opener or some random bowl game.  When players are allowed to let their own feelings dictate what's important and what's not for the overall team, then these new coaches will have a steeper hill to climb to change that mentality. 

If Harsin were coaching this game that would matter. The real question is between the zoom session and any of the other talks he has had with the players if that will fire them up.

IDK if this is the right place but I would be cool with trying to bring Jeff Grimes back in the house. OC at BYU, did really well this season, and of course he recruited one of the best OLs we've ever had...Robinson, Dismukes, Slade, Kozan, Young...they flat out bullied even the Turds' DL. I've maintained a bazillion times that offensive line hires were Gus's ultimate downfall.

14 hours ago, wcware said:

By itself, I wouldn't think that would be a game changer, but I do feel like it could feed into everything else that's going on. 

I mean, there is massive apathy in the fan base about this game, for a whole bunch of reasons. A lot of those reasons probably apply to the players, too. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

By itself, I wouldn't think that would be a game changer, but I do feel like it could feed into everything else that's going on. 

I mean, there is massive apathy in the fan base about this game, for a whole bunch of reasons. A lot of those reasons probably apply to the players, too. 

Yeah I think it’s a perfect storm of multiple things but playing in front of 100,000 people is not the same as playing in an empty bowl and it’s harder to have the same energy about it.

3 minutes ago, wcware said:

Yeah I think it’s a perfect storm of multiple things but playing in front of 100,000 people is not the same as playing in an empty bowl and it’s harder to have the same energy about it.

Especially in beautiful late December weather against a team from Chicago. 

34 minutes ago, wcware said:

True but the players also know that there are millions watching on TV and next level scouts are watching films.  That should be motivation enough. 

15 hours ago, wcware said:

i agree. they miss them some sound and fury. i have never met a player that did not dream of the crowd going wild on a particular play.

12 minutes ago, around4ever said:

True but the players also know that there are millions watching on TV and next level scouts are watching films.  That should be motivation enough. 

This one game is not going to cancel out the limitless film most of the players have out there. Yeah I am sure top ten potential pick Kyle Pitts would be hurting the NFL scouts  evaluation of him after opting out yesterday 

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

This one game is not going to cancel out the limitless film most of the players have out there. Yeah I am sure top ten potential pick Kyle Pitts would be hurting the NFL scouts  evaluation of him after opting out yesterday 

I think Jadavion Clowney's bowl game made him millions more than he deserved. One great game can surely catch peoples attention. They should want to make the most out of their opportunities.

19 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Just being given the opportunity should be enough.   I'd give my house to have the physical ability play organized football or even backyard football again.  I loved that shi7! 

If I was 50 years younger and actually had talent there is nothing that could stop me from playing.   Organized, backyard,  what they now call " kill the man with the ball"...  coach,  no coach,  good or bad  coach.   It doesn't matter.    Playing football is just Fing fun!

Play every game you can while you are young.  Youth is fleeting.

2 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Just being given the opportunity should be enough.   I'd give my house to have the physical ability play organized football or even backyard football again.  I loved that shi7! 

If I was 50 years younger and actually had talent there is nothing that could stop me from playing.   Organized, backyard,  what they now call " kill the man with the ball"...  coach,  no coach,  good or bad  coach.   It doesn't matter.    Playing football is just Fing fun!

Play every game you can while you are young.  Youth is fleeting.

Preach it brother! I’m now disabled but when I was healthy I would play any sports at any time. Slow pitch church ball, city league volleyball, it doesn’t matter as long as you’re having fun with your bros.

40 minutes ago, 35Rem said:

I think Jadavion Clowney's bowl game made him millions more than he deserved. One great game can surely catch peoples attention. They should want to make the most out of their opportunities.

You really think one bowl game did that? Bro was going to paid and be the #1 pick regardless, even after he was called out for lack of effort his junior year. Y’all are just being silly now. Dude could’ve sat out his junior year and arguably still had been the #1 pick which he was being advised to do 

Archived