I believe in work, hard work...

j0hnnyRingo

I've seen 7 coaches hired at Auburn starting with Barfield. I don't recall a press conference with him but I'm sure they must have had one. I watched Pat Dye give Auburn fans true hope that Auburn would be a force to be reckoned with to our opponent, regardless of who it was. Listening to Coach Harsin yesterday I had a similar feeling that we have something big to look forward to. I was impressed by him and his demeanor and delivery of what he had to say. He will command respect just by speaking. I'm not saying our players didn't respect our previous recent coaches but there is a fear that needs to be present with that respect. After listening to CH yesterday I would not want to be that player that failed his expectations. War Eagle! I think we have us a football coach. 

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

He will command respect just by speaking. I'm not saying our players didn't respect our previous recent coaches but there is a fear that needs to be present with that respect. After listening to CH yesterday I would not want to be that player that failed his expectations.

Let's be blunt...Gus did not hold his players accountable for getting the very best out of them. Sure, he dog-housed them for off-the-field stuff...what HC doesn't? Gus became laid back Uncle Gus. That's why his players liked him so much. Starting around SEC Media Days in 2018, Gus said he wanted to open up and become more personable to his players. Great. How did that translate to extra effort on the field for your entire team? How did that translate in recruiting? It didn't and alone, never will.

There's an unspoken motto in the work force. If you're always more a friend to your employees than a manager, you'll never succeed at being a manager.

The successful HCs hold ALL their players accountable to be the very best they can be. Like you said...a fear that needs to be present with that respect. At the same time, a HC can still care about his players and their personal lives.

Coach Dye was a master at this. ALL of his players have said his practices were the hardest they've ever worked, including the NFL. At the same time, they could come to him with their personal struggles. I remember after the 1993 Florida game in the locker room, Stan White and Dye were arm and arm like Father and Son, laughing and celebrating. (For you yutes...Dye's last season was 1992).

There has to be a successful mix of accountability and Father figure. Gus never had that. Harsin seems to have it.

6 hours ago, gr82be said:

I've seen 7 coaches hired at Auburn starting with Barfield. I don't recall a press conference with him but I'm sure they must have had one. I watched Pat Dye give Auburn fans true hope that Auburn would be a force to be reckoned with to our opponent, regardless of who it was. Listening to Coach Harsin yesterday I had a similar feeling that we have something big to look forward to. I was impressed by him and his demeanor and delivery of what he had to say. He will command respect just by speaking. I'm not saying our players didn't respect our previous recent coaches but there is a fear that needs to be present with that respect. After listening to CH yesterday I would not want to be that player that failed his expectations. War Eagle! I think we have us a football coach. 

Can you imagine Bo popping off at the mouth to the Hars like he did Chad...or even doing to any coach on Hars' staff?

7 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Can you imagine Bo popping off at the mouth to the Hars like he did Chad...or even doing to any coach on Hars' staff?

tenor.gif

14 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I can’t, but I’d like to see it once.

Been saying this for years, the only way a coach can really lose his team is if he plays favorites and don't let the best players play. I've said it a bunch of times repeating it over and over because I saw Gus doing it too much. 

Now we have a guy who don't give a damn who's your daddy, momma, cousin, nephew. How you practice matters. Everybody treated fairly all other things can be worked out. 

3 hours ago, Viper said:

Coach Dye was a master at this. ALL of his players have said his practices were the hardest they've ever worked, including the NFL.

Those days are gone.  NCAA did away with two-a-days, have shortened practices, and restricted contact in practice.  Different game today.

46 minutes ago, KnowItAll said:

Those days are gone.  NCAA did away with two-a-days, have shortened practices, and restricted contact in practice.  Different game today.

We all know that, Jimmy. Greg Pratt dying of a heat stroke aided making two-a-days extinct. The point is...Dye worked his players' asses off...and held them accountable. Half of the 1981 squad could have quit (it was boot camp in the August heat), but they all stuck around. And they all loved the man long after they left Auburn.

4 hours ago, Viper said:

Let's be blunt...Gus did not hold his players accountable for getting the very best out of them. Sure, he dog-housed them for off-the-field stuff...what HC doesn't? Gus became laid back Uncle Gus. That's why his players liked him so much. Starting around SEC Media Days in 2018, Gus said he wanted to open up and become more personable to his players. Great. How did that translate to extra effort on the field for your entire team? How did that translate in recruiting? It didn't and alone, never will.

There's an unspoken motto in the work force. If you're always more a friend to your employees than a manager, you'll never succeed at being a manager.

The successful HCs hold ALL their players accountable to be the very best they can be. Like you said...a fear that needs to be present with that respect. At the same time, a HC can still care about his players and their personal lives.

Coach Dye was a master at this. ALL of his players have said his practices were the hardest they've ever worked, including the NFL. At the same time, they could come to him with their personal struggles. I remember after the 1993 Florida game in the locker room, Stan White and Dye were arm and arm like Father and Son, laughing and celebrating. (For you yutes...Dye's last season was 1992).

There has to be a successful mix of accountability and Father figure. Gus never had that. Harsin seems to have it.

Nobody fears their coach, playing time is EVERYTHING. A coach using it right demands all the respect right there. As long as the coach don't abuse that the coach is ok

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nobody fears their coach

Not to give dink any credit, but everyone, players included, in his AD has their own fear/respect ratio for him. Ask Rick Neuheisel. He witnessed it.

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Not to give dink any credit, but everyone, players included, in his AD has their own fear/respect ratio for him. Ask Rick Neuheisel. He witnessed it.

I don't know who dink is or AD. 

27 minutes ago, DAG said:

I will say this , I doubt we will see as many animated players on the sidelines next year.

Yup. The Seth Williams attitudes and Schwartz social media opinions will be gone.

48 minutes ago, Viper said:

dink = Saban

AD = Athletic Department

Yeah everybody respects him but fear him? I don't think so. I've never been part of a team where I feared the coach and I haven't ever witness any player be scared of their coach. I've seen players be concerned if they upset their coach they would lose their playing time though

20 hours ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

The entire time I watched CBH press conference, this quote ran through my head.  I feel like CBH is the epitome of this.  I can’t wait to watch him get to work.

The quote that keeps running through my head is, “When is that freakin press conference going to be done, we’re leaving at 4:00!”

12 hours ago, gr82be said:

Barfield was announced before the 1975 season began (Shug’s last season). I only remember an article in the Mobile Register with the headline, “Barfield Chosen to Replace Shug After ‘75 Season.” 

I do recall how divisive the selection was, which was a big disadvantage to Barfield. Paul Davis was the presumed successor for many years, but an alleged night out in The Big Easy the night before the Sugar Bowl vs OU (lost 22-40)at the end of the ‘71 season caused President Harry Philpot to swear him off as HC. 

1 minute ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Barfield was announced before the 1975 season began (Shug’s last season). I only remember an article in the Mobile Register with the headline, “Barfield Chosen to Replace Shug After ‘75 Season.” 

I do recall how divisive the selection was, which was a big disadvantage to Barfield. Paul Davis was the presumed successor for many years, but an alleged night out in The Big Easy the night before the Sugar Bowl vs OU (lost 22-40)at the end of the ‘71 season caused President Harry Philpot to swear him off as HC. 

Thanks, didn't know all of that. I was 15 at the time and don't remember hearing much about that. Just remember how dismal it was during his tenure. 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Nobody fears their coach, playing time is EVERYTHING. A coach using it right demands all the respect right there. As long as the coach don't abuse that the coach is ok

In fairness Viper was referring to my comment about the fear. Maybe I didn't phrase it correctly but I do think fear of repercussions would play a role. No different than a parent trying to teach a child. You can't keep saying don't do that. At some point you have to take something away to make the point. If that something is important enough to them they will learn from it. Fear of losing something important, not physical fear. Some people are more intimidating than others whether they consciously intend to be or not. But I wasn't talking about being physically fearful of their coach. I wasn't fearful my dad would hurt me, but I was fearful of doing anything that let him down. Maybe that makes sense. 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah everybody respects him but fear him? I don't think so. I've never been part of a team where I feared the coach and I haven't ever witness any player be scared of their coach. I've seen players be concerned if they upset their coach they would lose their playing time though

I don't think any player should ever fear their coach. If done right, a coach can get much more out of mutual respect than they can out of fear. 

Agree that fear is the incorrect term. Respect and an intense desire to not disappoint is what I would want to see from players regarding their coach(es). Fear does not promote a winning culture and is a poor motivator; I say this as an old-school kind of guy, not a new age snowflake, lol

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

Fear/respect ratio for him. Rick Neuheisel witnessed it in UA's AD, Summer 2019. Not just the players. Everyone in the AD stopped what they were doing and stood at attention when dink walked in...like a General.

No one is going to literally be feared physically of a 5'6" Senior citizen. As others have said...to not disappoint, fear of repercussions and an intense verbal wrath.

Lou Holtz' former players have echoed the same type sentiments...that even though he was small in stature, they feared his verbal wrath.

The overall point of bringing this up is Gus was too much attaboy Uncle Gus and never held his players accountable on the field.

We have long since needed a HC to instill intense physicality and accountability on the field.

One of my fav lines from Coach Dye was "We're going to push you beyond what you think you can do." If you think you've reached your peak, you're about to be pushed to another level.

Harsin obviously took what Bo Jackson took from his HC and instilled it in his players. "Do something better today than you did yesterday." Love it.

Archived