Honest first reactions?

CleCoTiger

Reading the board following the hire of Bryan Harsin, I got the feeling that a lot of folks were doing their best to find the bright side and not really being that forthcoming as far as their initial reaction. So in all honesty, here is the way I reacted when I first saw the news...

I've been pretty sick for a few weeks and running a temp off and on. When I saw the news my honest first thought was "Well, this can't be April Fools. It's the wrong month. So maybe it's a fevered dream."

That ought to just about sum up my feelings about the fancy shade of lipstick that's dressing up this pig. Welcome to Rocky Top on the Plains!

War Eagle

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

My honest first reaction to this thread is that it's dumb. 

Nothing wrong with asking for reactions. You don't have to like those.

That’s the problem with first reactions.   They are mostly based off pure emotion and nothing factual or intellectual to back it up.   If you have watched football outside of auburn, you would have known that this was a coach that was well respected in coaching circles.   

It seems that a few on here think that Gus is/was a better option than CBH.   That’s your opinion but it’s water under the bridge now.   It’s time to move forward and get behind Auburn.   

I worried this was a truce hire between Green and the money, but I’m more optimistic now. It seems a more well thought out hire than I’ve seen in some time for our football coach.

at the very least, I’m glad I won’t have to watch Auburn play like a backyard neighborhood team anymore.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

Nothing wrong with asking for reactions. You don't have to like those.

I know, I just deleted it. You're correct. CleCo has been clear on his opinion and it didn't surprise me at all. My opinion on that should have not been shared. 

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I know, I just deleted it. You're correct. CleCo has been clear on his opinion and it didn't surprise me at all. My opinion on that should have not been shared. 

I liked your first opinion

My first reaction was *sigh*, but that was mainly because at first it felt like the PTB had gone and gotten their yes man. That first reaction didn’t last long when I started reading up stuff on him and some of the news about the search came to light. I really started to like the hire, quickly. Honestly, he feels like a guy AU needs. Being able to recruit will be the biggest obstacle, but like I said a few days ago, if he builds a good staff and is able to do his thing, I think he can awaken that sleeping giant that has been dormant for so long.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

My first reaction was *sigh*, but that was mainly because at first it felt like the PTB had gone and gotten their yes man. That first reaction didn’t last long when I started reading up stuff on him and some of the news about the search came to light. I really started to like the hire, quickly. Honestly, he feels like a guy AU needs. Being able to recruit will be the biggest obstacle, but like I said a few days ago, if he builds a good staff and is able to do his thing, I think he can awaken that sleeping giant that has been dormant for so long.

Same

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I believe this guy can recruit and will be a great closer. Imagine him versus Gus in front of a 18 yr old recruit. 

1 minute ago, Tiger4life25 said:

I believe this guy can recruit and will be a great closer. Imagine him versus Gus in front of a 18 yr old recruit. 

I’m hoping so as well. The SEC is just a completely different animal when it comes to recruiting, which is why I think his staff will be a major key.

I was wondering *who?*  The name was not on the radar for this hire.  I was initially concerned, but I had complained that Auburn needed a cultural change and what a better way to create change than to start at the top.  I’m pretty optimistic at this point and can’t wait to see the A-day game where (I hope) the way the game is played will reflect a different attitude this year.

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I was wondering *who?*  The name was not on the radar for this hire.  I was initially concerned, but I had complained that Auburn needed a cultural change and what a better way to create change than to start at the top.  I’m pretty optimistic at this point and can’t wait to see the A-day game where (I hope) the way the game is played will reflect a different attitude this year.

If we even have an “A” game freaking coronavirus 🦠 ok I type 🇨🇳 virus and it kept changing it to coronavirus 🤬😡

Just now, Tiger4life25 said:

If we even have an “A” game freaking coronavirus 🦠 

Optimistic with the vaccine and if it is played in late April/early May.  Don’t take away my hope and don’t be afraid to live your life.

This is my first impression, but I am honestly in a wait and see.  I felt like he did not tell us or show us anything new.  He said the things that many coaches say, “We are going to be tough.” “We are committed to success.” Stuff like that.  All coaches say that stuff. He has a successful record, but never in the SEC. We just have to wait and see what he can do here at Auburn. 🤷‍♀️ I could tell that his heart is still in Boise and probably always will be.  

5 minutes ago, Tiger4life25 said:

If we even have an “A” game freaking coronavirus 🦠 ok I type 🇨🇳 virus and it kept changing it to coronavirus 🤬😡

What kind of BS is this 😡that’s something Facebook or Twitter would do

My first reaction was surprise, immediately followed by relief that it wasn't Steele, immediately followed by  Woooo-Hoooo!!!! because I really didn't feel good about any of the coaches appearing on previous lists.

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Optimistic with the vaccine and if it is played in late April/early May.  Don’t take away my hope and don’t be afraid to live your life.

Dude believe me I will be there and 2020 really has not been different for me 😎

Honest first reaction?  Extreme excitement coupled with surprise.

Excited because I know the guy is a damn good coach.

Surprised because I didn't think Auburn would ever have the stones to do something outside the box.

who?   was my first reaction.      I would guess alot of the disappointment was because it wasnt someone they know of.     (not a real disappointment) 

1 hour ago, CleCoTiger said:

Reading the board following the hire of Bryan Harsin, I got the feeling that a lot of folks were doing their best to find the bright side and not really being that forthcoming as far as their initial reaction. So in all honesty, here is the way I reacted when I first saw the news...

I've been pretty sick for a few weeks and running a temp off and on. When I saw the news my honest first thought was "Well, this can't be April Fools. It's the wrong month. So maybe it's a fevered dream."

That ought to just about sum up my feelings about the fancy shade of lipstick that's dressing up this pig. Welcome to Rocky Top on the Plains!

War Eagle

Sorry to hear about your illness, and I hope your recovery will be swift.  My first, honest reaction was surprise -- surprised that AU (really, AD Greene) thought outside the box enough to look beyond the usual way of doing things, i.e. JABA.  Harsin's hire is a gamble, and no one really knows how well he'll do in the SEC wrt the entrenched favorites.  So what?  You could honestly have said that about any HC hire AU could have made, especially the candidates the sports media were parroting.  The one thing we know for certain:  we won't have to watch Gus's bumbling offense ever again!  

Excitement because this guy is a Peterson disciple and proven he can sustain success at a place like Boise. People think it is easy but that is just not the case.

cautious optimism, especially since I expected much worse.  here's a guy with more HC success than ANY of the legitimate contenders that was mentioned, and who's teams have typically been fun to watch.  But we all know the MWC ain't the SEC and so whether or not he can adapt will remain to be seen.  The staff he builds will tip the scale for me in one direction or the other.  

I honestly don’t think I had a first reaction and I still don’t have one.  Get back to me after I see an O line blocking well, Bo setting his feet and making accurate throws, Tank still being Tank, MAR deciding to stick around, Seth and Flash deciding to stick around and Bo hitting them in stride, the TE actually getting some passes thrown his way and basically an entirely dysfunctional offense looking functional again, plus the defense not taking a step back.  That’s the on the field results.  As far as the off the field results I want to see a clean program that graduates it’s players plus doesn’t get killed by UGA and Bammer in recruiting every year.  I don’t care what anybody, including myself, think at this point.  The proof is in the pudding.  I’m giving the guy a chance to show some tangible results.  If he does then he’s our guy.  If he doesn’t we need to move on again.

Archived