Honest first reactions?

CleCoTiger

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I don’t know what you are talking about. I am specifically saying throughout the coaching search this Guy kept poo-pooing on all, if most options and saying why did we fire Gus if it is only to hire A, B, C or D. There wouldn’t have been a single coach he would’ve been happy with it. 

Was meant to quote the guy you quoted but don’t think it worked lol

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got incredibly excited then, once I learned more about him, have become a huge fan.

Auburn didn't do the same redneck JABA crap.  They stepped up and have made a real hire.

I am excited about Auburn football again.

Very very promising.

Recruiting is of course critical but we won't know how he's doing vs orher SEC schools for 2 or 3 years. e.g. Neutered Dame and CrimiNole coaches historically and notoriously sign 5* players that don't match what the HC is trying to do. (Cough cough) Cam Akers (cough cough).

Once I took a minute, I was excited. We need to give Coach Harsin time. I am pumped that he is here and believe he can get it done in time. But, given that he is completely different than Gus, I expect that we have a number of guys transfer and that his first year on the recruiting trail could be tough.

I hope that we, as a fan base, will ignore the naysayers who are just waiting to label his hire as a failure and give him time to make it through the ‘establishment’ period he will need.

Cautious optimism. I have spent some time watching boise st film and the offense is clean. It will get kids to the pros . Tough D .I’m behind coach bh 

First reaction was Wth is Bryan Hardin. Then after a couple minutes of googling....... I realized he was Peterson’s OC. I have long ranked Peterson as a top 5 coach. My #1 pick for Auburn. I’m optimistic. 

When lowlife Pete Thamel first broke the story, I wasn’t sure what to believe, lol.

When it became official I was excited, our talent fits his offense already.  He has a winner mentality and he is not the kinda guy who would except a participation ribbon.  Puts guys in the NFL by developing them.  TOUGHNESS AND ALPHA

6 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Reading the board following the hire of Bryan Harsin, I got the feeling that a lot of folks were doing their best to find the bright side and not really being that forthcoming as far as their initial reaction. So in all honesty, here is the way I reacted when I first saw the news...

I've been pretty sick for a few weeks and running a temp off and on. When I saw the news my honest first thought was "Well, this can't be April Fools. It's the wrong month. So maybe it's a fevered dream."

That ought to just about sum up my feelings about the fancy shade of lipstick that's dressing up this pig. Welcome to Rocky Top on the Plains!

War Eagle

Is this you or is it AUFriction? I can’t tell y’all apart these days...

6 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I worried this was a truce hire between Green and the money, but I’m more optimistic now. It seems a more well thought out hire than I’ve seen in some time for our football coach.

at the very least, I’m glad I won’t have to watch Auburn play like a backyard neighborhood team anymore.

One of my first reactions was that at least there may not be the same pattern to the play calling that we ALL have grown accustomed to seeing...Run for 2 yards on first down, throw 2 consecutive bubble screens for minus yardage (where our blockers never seem to be able to hold their blocks). Maybe the new Offense will be more interesting and hopefully more productive.

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

First reaction after the name came up was a little google research and a “I will take it”. Love the “out of the box” part and hiring a coach at an energetic age in years. These guys don’t come dime a dozen. Well worth whatever chance

I approve this message!

My uncle texted me the news, and I replied, “you’ve got to be kidding me”.  Of course, I was holding out for Cristobal or another big name hire. 

After I’ve done my research, I’m cautiously optimistic about this hire. I like the fact that Allan Greene was allowed to do his job and hire his guy. Now let’s see what type of football coach and AD that we have.

6 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

I’m hoping so as well. The SEC is just a completely different animal when it comes to recruiting, which is why I think his staff will be a major key.

I watched him win over a bunch of skepticle Auburn people in a one hour introduction. I believe that same gifting will do the same with recruits. They are going to want to play for this guy! And as a parent I would be thrilled for my son to be a student athlete under his leadership. At least that was my first impression. As someone said, “first impressions go a long way”.

My first reaction was Who? 

Then it was, Well I guess I will relive 2012 a few more times.

Once I came down from emotion,  feeling like we just tried to fill the HC position with a warm body. I am quite excited about this hire.

My opinion of coaches in general is that they are a crapshoot at best. Outside of Saban, Dabo, and Meyer there are no guarantees of success. Having said that,  CBH has high upside. He legitimately could be one of the best football hires ever. Keeping in mind he could bust, but just making the point there is real upside to him. He has a track record of success. He's young, energetic, and hard-nosed.Those are the traits you look for to lead these men into battle. For me, I am very optimistic. 

My first reaction, like most, was who? I did some research, I like the hire, a lot. I think we will have to “weather the storm” at first. I feel like the culture change that is about to happen won’t be well received with some of the players. Get through the first little while and I think we’ll be ok. 

17 hours ago, Tiger4life25 said:

I believe this guy can recruit and will be a great closer. Imagine him versus Gus in front of a 18 yr old recruit. 

^^^This^^^

16 hours ago, AUFriction said:

First reaction- “We fired a coach that never had a losing record and went through that absolutely embarrassing search to hire a guy that was on no one’s short list for a vacant head coaching job? We’ve become Tennessee.”

No one?

Harsin’s name has been mentioned with every coaching opening in the Pac-12 for several years: Oregon, Washington, Washington State, and Arizona.

And I think that itself is the answer. Harsin was to the Pac-12’s what Billy Napier is the the Southeast. Well known regionally, but not well known beyond.

I’m sure a couple of years ago there were Oregon alums in the Pacific Northwest Googling Mario Cristobal.

My first reaction was “we can finally end the coaching search thread “! 😝 

At first I wasn't sure, but the more I read about him, the more I like it.  With the revelation that the coaching search was not conducted in the manner the "insiders" were telling us, it feels even better.  I think he will bring excitement back to the games and will be successful.  Obviously, the staff he builds will be super important with how they recruit and scheme.  I don't put too much emphasis on what region he's coming from.  Urban Myer came come Utah and did pretty well in the SEC.

Archived