Schwartz

RunInRed

45 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Really?? 

(I am as knowledgeable about professional track as I am about soccer :rolleyes: . But I dig watching them both!) 

If he simply runs the 40 at the combine his first contract alone will be more than a teacher can make in roughly 50 years. That's just the guaranteed money. 

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

If he simply runs the 40 at the combine his first contract alone will be more than a teacher can make in roughly 50 years. That's just the guaranteed money. 

Granted - thus my question.

https://www.drafttek.com/m/2021-NFL-Mock-Draft-Round3.asp

This mock draft has him in the 3rd round to Cleveland. If he’s third round or higher I think he should peace out and get paid. 

4 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

This mock draft has him in the 3rd round to Cleveland. If he’s third round or higher I think he should peace out and get paid. 

But if he hires an agent, he's disqualified, right?

This system is ******.

6 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

If it's to Cleveland maybe stay lol

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Really?? 

(I am as knowledgeable about professional track as I am about soccer :rolleyes: . But I dig watching them both!) 

1 hour ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I thought he was saying potential wise... He would make more money as a big fish in a smaller pond,  than an average size fish in the ocean.   

(I have no idea either about track star $$)

Usain Bolt is worth an estimated $90M.  And he never got hit by dudes trying to take his head off.

Track, like soccer, is massively popular most everywhere else in the world.  It's a very lucrative endeavor if you can compete at the top level.

As for @Quietmaninthecorner small pond comment, the NFL is the smaller pond.  Track is literally a worldwide competition year round.  NFL players are almost exclusively from America because we're the only ones who play our version of football.

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

But if he hires an agent, he's disqualified, right?

This system is ******.

I believe so

7 hours ago, Zeek said:

If it's to Cleveland maybe stay lol

I’d probably still “take the money and run”. 

6 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Usain Bolt is worth an estimated $90M.  And he never got hit by dudes trying to take his head off.

Track, like soccer, is massively popular most everywhere else in the world.  It's a very lucrative endeavor if you can compete at the top level.

As for @Quietmaninthecorner small pond comment, the NFL is the smaller pond.  Track is literally a worldwide competition year round.  NFL players are almost exclusively from America because we're the only ones who play our version of football.

Even the elite of track don't make s***. Unless you are some phenom, breaking records and a household name, you won't make anything unless you can grab a lot of endorsements. 

9 hours ago, Zeek said:

has to get invited first

His speed alone will get him drafted highly. He’s shown that he can catch the ball fairly well and take some hits. Not sure we’ve been able to see how good of a route runner he is. He absolutely should test the NFL waters. Of course, I pulled for him to go the professional track route out of HS; speed like his does not come around that often. I just think of RG3 who had world class track skills but kept playing football, tore an ACL at Baylor and the possibility of track was over. Whatever he decides I hope it’s what he feels is in his best interest, not what a bunch of fans and message boarders think

13 minutes ago, fredst said:

His speed alone will get him drafted highly. He’s shown that he can catch the ball fairly well and take some hits. Not sure we’ve been able to see how good of a route runner he is. He absolutely should test the NFL waters. Of course, I pulled for him to go the professional track route out of HS; speed like his does not come around that often. I just think of RG3 who had world class track skills but kept playing football, tore an ACL at Baylor and the possibility of track was over. Whatever he decides I hope it’s what he feels is in his best interest, not what a bunch of fans and message boarders think

Now rg3 is set for life and never has to work again. If he went track, this wouldn't have happened. 

The only reason to go track over football is you have some weird love of track. 

All about long term earning potential with regards to the financial aspect. Speed will get Schwartz drafted, but how long can he stay in the league? Dudes don't last on speed alone, and that's not even taking injury into account. 

How long could he run track? I honestly don't know. But if he still has a good shot at a 6-figure income 10 years from now- minus all the concussions- then that would be awfully tempting. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

All about long term earning potential with regards to the financial aspect. Speed will get Schwartz drafted, but how long can he stay in the league? Dudes don't last on speed alone, and that's not even taking injury into account. 

How long could he run track? I honestly don't know. But if he still has a good shot at a 6-figure income 10 years from now- minus all the concussions- then that would be awfully tempting. 

Ted Ginn Jr. disagrees with this statement.  

38 minutes ago, fredst said:

His speed alone will get him drafted highly. 

If Al Davis was still alive it might get Flash drafted in 1st round to raiders.  I say 3rd or above go for it.  He can always improve on routes and catching with good coaching/better players to mentor him.  He can stay in the league for a few years as a returner alone.

I mean, Sammie Coates was one of the more physically complete WRs and combine warriors of the last decade- 4.43 40 and finished first among WRs in bench press with 23 reps- but he only lasted in the NFL 5 years and is Canada now. 

I've always said that Schwartz could leave this year and get drafted on his speed alone, and that remains true. But it doesn't mean that the NFL would be a better career move for him than track. Not based strictly on numbers and certainly not on personal motivations beyond money. 

20 minutes ago, AubieinNC2009 said:

If Al Davis was still alive it might get Flash drafted in 1st round to raiders.  I say 3rd or above go for it.  He can always improve on routes and catching with good coaching/better players to mentor him.  He can stay in the league for a few years as a returner alone.

Beyond his speed, I haven’t seen great field vision or cutting ability up to now.

I would have to agree that track alone would not be a major money-earner.  Olympians representing the USA are known for making almost nothing and have to have second jobs to make ends meet.  If you earn a gold medal you receive $37,500, silver is $22,500, and bronze is $15,000.  Personally I wish the United States would pay our olympians a livable wage for representing us in the Olympics but that is a conversation for another day.  Now, you could receive endorsements, but I can only think of three current track athletes that have big endorsements in Allyson Felix, Ashton Eaton and Tyson Gay.  Track and field is bigger in other countries, but how much do they make over there?  Bolt is an outlier because most of his money is from American endorsements (Gatorade).

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I mean, Sammie Coates was one of the more physically complete WRs and combine warriors of the last decade- 4.43 40 and finished first among WRs in bench press with 23 reps- but he only lasted in the NFL 5 years and is Canada now. 

I've always said that Schwartz could leave this year and get drafted on his speed alone, and that remains true. But it doesn't mean that the NFL would be a better career move for him than track. Not based strictly on numbers and certainly not on personal motivations beyond money. 

Those stone hands though, earned him a trip to Canada.  

Speed alone won’t get you drafted high. It can get you drafted but he will have a much lower contract . Still higher than most track runners and with COVID track has been inconsistent at best. Also take into account, Flash has not 100 percent committed to track . It is absolutely hard to break the mold at this college and national level, ask Matthew Boling about it. If he is going to go the track route, he definitely needs to make a decision pronto. I believe the smartest thing he could do is get evaluated and if he isn’t a day 2 pick, come back and produce. 

12 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I would have to agree that track alone would not be a major money-earner.  Olympians representing the USA are known for making almost nothing and have to have second jobs to make ends meet.  If you earn a gold medal you receive $37,500, silver is $22,500, and bronze is $15,000.  Personally I wish the United States would pay our olympians a livable wage for representing us in the Olympics but that is a conversation for another day.  Now, you could receive endorsements, but I can only think of three current track athletes that have big endorsements in Allyson Felix, Ashton Eaton and Tyson Gay.  Track and field is bigger in other countries, but how much do they make over there?  Bolt is an outlier because most of his money is from American endorsements (Gatorade).

The olympians never get paid much but if they do it as a career, they make much more money especially at National and world events. Most of these guys live off of endorsements, training others or gaining capital. That’s pretty much how Tyson Gay money. Heck even Wallace Spearmon made a good living from doing that. Jeremy Wariner ran, got his money and invested.The issue is you have to be the top of your craft at it. You can make a good living off it for sure 

1 hour ago, j0hnnyRingo said:

Ted Ginn Jr. disagrees with this statement.  

One speed guy. Great job. There are many who don’t last long but get looks.

ever heard of Dri Archer? Demarcus Van Dyke? J.J. Nelson? Jalen Myrick?

Archived