Schwartz

RunInRed

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

You guys please don't start with the analysis of why he can't go to the NFL. You are the same guys that had Bo being a top qb, every year have guys like slayton not getting drafted, and said none of our offensive problems were on anybody besides the d line.....don't try to tell me that somebody as fast as him won't have a chance.....and you can't go by what he did here, his QB wasn't good at throwing a deep ball and he doesn't even get to practice and show what all he can do running routes on the route tree.

We don't have enough data to even evaluate him

He’s been pretty good running slants and crossers when they’ve been used 

I think the worst thing the previous regime did was that it had our receivers in neutral for 3-4 years, while their draft competitors were already ahead of the game. So even though they’re as naturally talented, they end up getting fewer opps (and eventually let go), bc they just didn’t learn a thing 

someone like Darvin Adams should’ve been a legit NFL prospect

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Those reverses are generally sniffed out regardless when Schwartz is running em, but one thing that also didn’t help was the fact that AS can’t juke. Doesn’t have a spin or a hesitation, and I’ve only seen him do a back jump like twice in 3 years. He’s more rigid than anyone else the late great Gus used in that role 

Yeah that is why I don't see him like D-Jax. He is a straight up track guy so he has that straight line speed. I have seen some really good glimpses of him running crisp routes and making catches, but his film is severely limited. With his speed, he will for sure get looked at, I just don't see him being a day 1 or 2 pick. I think he could substantially raise his draft stock under CBH

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

He’s been pretty good running slants and crossers when they’ve been used 

I think the worst thing the previous regime did was that it had our receivers in neutral for 3-4 years, while their draft competitors were already ahead of the game. So even though they’re as naturally talented, they end up getting fewer opps (and eventually let go), bc they just didn’t learn a thing 

someone like Darvin Adams should’ve been a legit NFL prospect

DA had really underrated hands. I think the physical aspects really hurt him. He didn't have the measurements. I wish he would've came back his senior year.

You guys please don't start with the analysis of why he can't go to the NFL. You are the same guys that had Bo being a top qb, every year have guys like slayton not getting drafted, and said none of our offensive problems were on anybody besides the d line.....don't try to tell me that somebody as fast as him won't have a chance.....and you can't go by what he did here, his QB wasn't good at throwing a deep ball and he doesn't even get to practice and show what all he can do running routes on the route tree.

We don't have enough data to even evaluate him

Given Auburn's mind-numbingly bad track record of Gus-recruited WR in the NFL, it's a safe bet to bet against him. But he does have a different level of speed, obviously. I am rooting for him but he is not a WR right now. He is a track star playing WR. Maybe he can pull a Tyreek and develop at the next level. But Tyreek was a 5th round pick.

29 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Given Auburn's mind-numbingly bad track record of Gus-recruited WR in the NFL, it's a safe bet to bet against him. But he does have a different level of speed, obviously. I am rooting for him but he is not a WR right now. He is a track star playing WR. Maybe he can pull a Tyreek and develop at the next level. But Tyreek was a 5th round pick.

Well actually the guys that perform well at the combine get drafted. Getting drafted isn't a problem it's the not knowing when they get there is the problem but since he's a track guy they probably wouldn't expect him to know a bunch anyway.  No reason to bet against a guy just because of Auburn just our roster this year alone can show you how that can't be a sure thing.

He hasn't been given any type of opportunity to make a claim that he isn't a wr, he hasn't even had a guy that can get him the ball

44 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

So even though they’re as naturally talented, they end up getting fewer opps (and eventually let go), bc they just didn’t learn a thing 

This. Soooooo much.

People loved to defend Gus's RB usage by saying, "Well, RB1 needs a lot of reps to get into a rhythm." Okay, that's fair. But then you can't say, "Well, everybody else needs to step up and make the most of their opportunities when their number is called." Ummmm....

35 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Tyreek dropped because of his off field issues and his size, he was already developed.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This. Soooooo much.

People loved to defend Gus's RB usage by saying, "Well, RB1 needs a lot of reps to get into a rhythm." Okay, that's fair. But then you can't say, "Well, everybody else needs to step up and make the most of their opportunities when their number is called." Ummmm....

Same thing with QB's....I saw where stat posted when a 3rd string came in and won a game.....bet he had reps

Well actually the guys that perform well at the combine get drafted. Getting drafted isn't a problem it's the not knowing when they get there is the problem but since he's a track guy they probably wouldn't expect him to know a bunch anyway.  No reason to bet against a guy just because of Auburn just our roster this year alone can show you how that can't be a sure thing.

He hasn't been given any type of opportunity to make a claim that he isn't a wr, he hasn't even had a guy that can get him the ball

I disagree. You can tell from a WR's fluidity and ball-skills. Seth is a true WR. He may not make every play, but he has shown he can win any jump-ball, adjust in mid-air, and control his body. I haven't seen any of that from AS. He has blinding speed and decent hands, but I don't think, right now, he can win any contested balls or difficult catches that require full extension or toe-taps or anything like that. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Those reverses are generally sniffed out regardless when Schwartz is running em, but one thing that also didn’t help was the fact that AS can’t juke. Doesn’t have a spin or a hesitation, and I’ve only seen him do a back jump like twice in 3 years. He’s more rigid than anyone else the late great Gus used in that role 

Exactly. Dude has unbelievable straight line speed. Almost no wiggle or tackle breaking ability whatsoever at this point though. If he's willing to put in the work to catch up on development to be an NFL receiver I think he can make a career out of it if he chooses.

So bottom line is everybody agrees he has world class speed. The offense he is in didn't develop his route running, some think he is two stiff and can't change direction. QB wasn't accurate when he beat his man long and some think he should go Pro and see if they can develop him or stay one more year in what we hope is a better system and a few think his passion is track and he should try that.

Every thing except his speed is conjecture we don't know if track is his passion or football, we don't know if he would be better off staying and developing or going Pro and hope they are willing to take time to develop while paying him.  I will support anyway we goes as I saw him lay it on the line every game. The kid was given short routes in front of LB's and Safety's and he caught the ball and got hit hard then got back up and did it again.

19 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I disagree. You can tell from a WR's fluidity and ball-skills. Seth is a true WR. He may not make every play, but he has shown he can win any jump-ball, adjust in mid-air, and control his body. I haven't seen any of that from AS. He has blinding speed and decent hands, but I don't think, right now, he can win any contested balls or difficult catches that require full extension or toe-taps or anything like that. 

Because you haven't seen him have any throws made to him like that. With Gus his role was wr screen and deep ball that's it. You can damn near guarantee he has an explosive vertical. Just to say he can't make a difficult catch just because doesn't make any sense to me. Only way to come to that conclusion would be I've seen him get thrown a bunch of balls and he dropped a bunch of them, I watched all the games as I assumed you did and I didn't see that. Just like I can't say capers and Hudson get a bunch of throws so I can't tell you if they have good hands or not. But I certainly can't say they can't catch because I didn't see it either

15 hours ago, cole256 said:
16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Because you haven't seen him have any throws made to him like that. With Gus his role was wr screen and deep ball that's it. You can damn near guarantee he has an explosive vertical. Just to say he can't make a difficult catch just because doesn't make any sense to me. Only way to come to that conclusion would be I've seen him get thrown a bunch of balls and he dropped a bunch of them, I watched all the games as I assumed you did and I didn't see that. Just like I can't say capers and Hudson get a bunch of throws so I can't tell you if they have good hands or not. But I certainly can't say they can't catch because I didn't see it either

To add to this,

If a WR has to make odd adjustments to catch most balls that are designed to get them some green grass and use their YAC, it reduces their ability to really use their fluidity: 1. Because the routes that use this are meant for explosion as opposed to fluid footwork and smooth hip-play. 2. The WR is anticipating having to move their body across odd planes just to make the catch when their focus should be one-cut, ball, go. 

Bo's inconsistency on ball placement has been the biggest frustrating factor for his Go-To targets. Sometimes the ball gets where it needs to be, other times they have to contort their body along the transverse plane in such ways to catch it and they look awful as a result. Also, what balls has he got other than screens and 9 routes?  

10 hours ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

To add to this,

If a WR has to make odd adjustments to catch most balls that are designed to get them some green grass and use their YAC, it reduces their ability to really use their fluidity: 1. Because the routes that use this are meant for explosion as opposed to fluid footwork and smooth hip-play. 2. The WR is anticipating having to move their body across odd planes just to make the catch when their focus should be one-cut, ball, go. 

Bo's inconsistency on ball placement has been the biggest frustrating factor for his Go-To targets. Sometimes the ball gets where it needs to be, other times they have to contort their body along the transverse plane in such ways to catch it and they look awful as a result. Also, what balls has he got other than screens and 9 routes?  

Well maybe it's a lack of being coached up. He does do simple things incorrectly like running with the hands out to early, and seems to have trouble tracking deep balls. Bo misses a lot, but I think some are on AS, too.

In terms of ball skills and fluidity, it's the ability to make low probability catches. We don't call a play where a catches a slant or screen square in the chest a "great catch". Nor do we call catching a deep ball in stride a great catch. It's catches that are in traffic, against the body, with limited space, or requiring full extension. Guys like Darvin Adams and Seth make one about every game. It's why Julio and Fitz are HOFers. Not because their QBs throw perfect passes or they can get free, but because they can make difficult grabs.

AS has made 117 catches here at AU over 3 seasons for 2 different QBs, with even more targets. He's a vet. But can you point to a play where he made a "great catch"? I think that's pretty telling.

5 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Well maybe it's a lack of being coached up. He does do simple things incorrectly like running with the hands out to early, and seems to have trouble tracking deep balls. Bo misses a lot, but I think some are on AS, too.

In terms of ball skills and fluidity, it's the ability to make low probability catches. We don't call a play where a catches a slant or screen square in the chest a "great catch". Nor do we call catching a deep ball in stride a great catch. It's catches that are in traffic, against the body, with limited space, or requiring full extension. Guys like Darvin Adams and Seth make one about every game. It's why Julio and Fitz are HOFers. Not because their QBs throw perfect passes or they can get free, but because they can make difficult grabs.

AS has made 117 catches here at AU over 3 seasons for 2 different QBs, with even more targets. He's a vet. But can you point to a play where he made a "great catch"? I think that's pretty telling.

What you are describing as far as great catch is nothing more than a bad pass that a wr catches anyway. Can you point out the opportunity where he had chances to make those catches and he dropped them? 

Seems like you're missing the point of not having the opportunity. Nobody has to make unbelievable grabs on screens and as far as the deep ball Bo wasn't even making throws to him where he could make plays on the ball. 

You really are saying since you haven't seen him do it he can't so he's not a wr. 

Gus used him in the pigeon hole he created for him, he didn't get the type of plays Seth gets, you didn't see him get jump balls and stuff like that you saw him run 2 routes. You didn't see any of the wr deep guys in Gus offense make those type of catches. 

Seth and Adams played the same positions, did you see Zachary constantly making those "great" catches. No you didn't see him skying over people and making those fluid cuts, you saw him getting free on screens and burning guys deep......but he had a much better QB giving him the ball. 

I wish our players could see that with BH they now have a real college HC who knows how to run effective offenses and develop players.  He may be demanding but his players seem to really like and respect him. Our guys should give him their support and realize the will be better with him at the helm.  Deciding to leave before seeing who BH hires and seeing the type of person or coach he is does not seem like a good decision.  

While being misused in our terrible system Anthony Schwartz has place himself in the following rankings all-time for Auburn:

17th in Receicing Yards

10th in Receptions 

Averages 12.2 yards per reception (despite running dumb screens)

T-37th in receiving touchdowns

7.7 yards per carry on rushing attempts with 7 rushing touchdowns

It's wild to keep calling him a track guy. Just as annoying as saying Nick and Cam can't throw. Dumb and false narrative. 

6 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

I wish our players could see that with BH they now have a real college HC who knows how to run effective offenses and develop players.  He may be demanding but his players seem to really like and respect him. Our guys should give him their support and realize the will be better with him at the helm.  Deciding to leave before seeing who BH hires and seeing the type of person or coach he is does not seem like a good decision.  

Limited window of time. If they wait too long, they might not have anywhere to go.

Also, they thought they committed to that kind of guy the first time. They got burned. Totally understandable if they'd want a fresh start somewhere else. 

Plus they don't know if this guy is even going to want them to factor into the rotation. 

On 12/28/2020 at 11:42 AM, fredst said:

People do a lot of things for reasons other than money, maybe even for a “weird love” you might say. I hope that he has an opportunity to do whatever is his passion 

AS even says on twitter he doesn't run track anymore. 

Dude will be a stud in a good O. Would have embarrassed us if he had gone to UAT. Let's see what a real WR coach can do. 

5 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

AS even says on twitter he doesn't run track anymore. 

Dude will be a stud in a good O. Would have embarrassed us if he had gone to UAT. Let's see what a real WR coach can do. 

I have a feeling many guys don't have the patience to wait for things to change for the better.  They want instant results and may feel like they can get that elsewhere, especially this year where free transfers are allowed and they don't lost a year of eligibility. 

8 minutes ago, keesler said:

I have a feeling many guys don't have the patience to wait for things to change for the better.  They want instant results and may feel like they can get that elsewhere, especially this year where free transfers are allowed and they don't lost a year of eligibility. 

I don't see AS leaving after the wall of auburn posts with new unis and excitement abiut new coach. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Limited window of time. If they wait too long, they might not have anywhere to go.

Also, they thought they committed to that kind of guy the first time. They got burned. Totally understandable if they'd want a fresh start somewhere else. 

Plus they don't know if this guy is even going to want them to factor into the rotation. 

Yes but either way they will have to deal with new HC and coaches.   

3 minutes ago, mom2kid said:

Yes but either way they will have to deal with new HC and coaches.   

And armed with more information on that new HC and his staff than they have on Harsin and what he'll do at Auburn.

You're undoubtedly right that not every kid is necessarily going to make the right choice by leaving. But most of them will make an informed, logical, and unemotional decision based on many criteria, many of which might not even be football related. 

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Don't get me wrong. Fantastic athlete who makes great plays. Just not currently a true WR in my opinion. Much like McCalebb wasn't a true RB. 

What the hell is a "true WR"?

McCalebb's issue was that he weighed less than 170 pounds and therefore he had ZERO use as a "RB".

Schwartz does NOT possess any crippling physical limitations. He can catch the ball and he can run routes well enough to entice teams. We did not use him well.

Archived