Null

Facing The Truth

HarsinVOL

COVID-19 laid bare the brutal, truthful reality of the NCAA i.e. revenue sports don't prop the academic scene—they *are* the entire reason for there being an academic structure. Athdepts have exposed themselves as nothing more than large business entities disguised as nonprofits. College sports, purportedly a celebration of amateur athletics, are an exercise in big squashing little: large conferences whipping small ones, and revenue sports hogging resources from nonrevenue sports. And you are complicit.

College sports have been a hypocritical enterprise for a long time; any sober assessment of the last half-century reached that conclusion. But now hypocrisy is part of the mission statement. Football has been stripped down to what it really is: lucrative TV programming. In 2020, it didn’t matter whether playing was safe for surrounding communities or even whether students were on campus."

It's sickening and is the main reason I dropped my allegiances to football and basketball although I played the latter at my alma mater - UT. Like smoking, it simply became too filthy a habit to remain joyful.   🤢

• Like 1

I mean... you're not wrong but I'll watch AU sports until the day I die. You're also not considering whether the student athletes WANT to be there (spoiler: they do). I think a sensible rule allowing student athletes to profit from likeness/athletic skills rule will help with the moral issues involved in the NCAA enterprise. 

• Like 1

OP is right and I think things are in the process of changing.  I will not be surprised if 5-10 years from now players are fully professional.  No, they wont be millionaires, but I suspect NCAA will allow some sort of fiscal compensation.

I am all for it.  If they are getting paid, that puts an end to "opting out" and everything that goes with that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, KnowItAll said:

OP is right and I think things are in the process of changing.  I will not be surprised if 5-10 years from now players are fully professional.  No, they wont be millionaires, but I suspect NCAA will allow some sort of fiscal compensation.

I am all for it.  If they are getting paid, that puts an end to "opting out" and everything that goes with that.

Interesting point. However, some players will still opt out due to the possibility of an injury and missing out on the millions offered by the NFL. 

41 minutes ago, HarsinVOL said:

COVID-19 laid bare the brutal, truthful reality of the NCAA i.e. revenue sports don't prop the academic scene—they *are* the entire reason for there being an academic structure. Athdepts have exposed themselves as nothing more than large business entities disguised as nonprofits. College sports, purportedly a celebration of amateur athletics, are an exercise in big squashing little: large conferences whipping small ones, and revenue sports hogging resources from nonrevenue sports. And you are complicit.

College sports have been a hypocritical enterprise for a long time; any sober assessment of the last half-century reached that conclusion. But now hypocrisy is part of the mission statement. Football has been stripped down to what it really is: lucrative TV programming. In 2020, it didn’t matter whether playing was safe for surrounding communities or even whether students were on campus."

It's sickening and is the main reason I dropped my allegiances to football and basketball although I played the latter at my alma mater - UT. Like smoking, it simply became too filthy a habit to remain joyful.   🤢

Ummm.  Well I guess I agree with most of all you say.  Although the academic structure was there before football existed.  And I would agree that I am complicit.

But so what?  I don't get your point.  There are a lot of very lucrative organizations that sell themselves up as some "noble - higher road calling".  Look at the media organizations for example.  And hospitals.  Everything they do rotates around money.  Are you going to stop watching the news?  When you are sick are you going to avoid going to the hospital?

College football brings revenue into the schools.  Granted, a lot of that revenue goes back into the football program.  But a good percentage helps the individual schools with research, teacher salaries, buildings, etc.  

I like watching college athletics but can’t disagree at all with the OP. Having a season during the pandemic was fairly absurd but a bunch of bowl games.....? Even in a non-pandemic year it’s pretty silly but this year is truly ridiculous. Having said all that, I’ll probably watch, lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, countoff said:

Are you going to stop watching the news? 

Quit watching the news the day after election and I’m soooo much happier and with much less stress. Everyone should try it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KnowItAll said:

When, not if, that happens, the players wil get an increased voice on their futures, on rules and interpretations, on the game as a whole. You know, this is a straightforward, fundamental concept: So-called "student-athletes" are students. As students in a pandemic, they receive the same benefits, protections, privileges and restrictions as other students. This is so indisputably aligned with the NCAA’s official view of itself that in May, NCAA president Mark Emmert reiterated this seemingly obvious point, telling ESPN, “If a school doesn’t reopen, then they’re not going to be playing sports. It’s really that simple.”

One can question whether Emmert actually believed that, but ultimately his sincerity is irrelevant. He did not have the power to enforce that stance, and many NCAA member schools did not have the interest. 

42 minutes ago, fredst said:

I like watching college athletics but can’t disagree at all with the OP. Having a season during the pandemic was fairly absurd but a bunch of bowl games.....? Even in a non-pandemic year it’s pretty silly but this year is truly ridiculous. Having said all that, I’ll probably watch, lol

The storyline of the fall was that daily rapid testing had made it safe to conduct sports, but there were two glaring flaws in that argument. One: It conveniently ignores NCAA president Mark Emmert reiterated this seemingly obvious point, telling ESPN, “If a school doesn’t reopen, then they’re not going to be playing sports. It’s really that simple.”  Suddenly, that didn’t matter anymore. Schools quickly abandoned the notion that athletes are like other students—all over the country athletes received access to tests that the rest of their university communities lacked. They were prioritized not because they were at greater risk but because their presence was of greater financial value to their schools.

• Like 1

Couldn’t players opt out of playing and still keep their scholarship? I know about the almighty dollar but as a fan, even the limited sports shown were a lifeline. And I’m thinking the players may have felt the same way.  Something to take their mind off the sucky year in 2020. It may be about the almighty dollar to the ESPNs but players and fans may have seen it as a small bit of enjoyment in an otherwise brutal year.    Just another take.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HarsinVOL said:

Athdepts have exposed themselves as nothing more than large business entities disguised as nonprofits. College sports, purportedly a celebration of amateur athletics, are an exercise in big squashing little: large conferences whipping small ones, and revenue sports hogging resources from nonrevenue sports.

This was known well before COVID came along.