Player by player assessment

REALTORTiger

The great:  

Powell is a stud.  He by his sophomore year will be an All-SEC type player if not All-American.  Wouldn't be surprised if he left after next season.

The good:

JT Thor in time will be a very good player once he understands his body and plays with a little more control and composure.  I do not however ever see him playing up to being a Top 40 national recruit type player.  He's too frail and thin, doesn't shoot as well from the outside as he did in HS, or hasn't so far, and I just don't see stardom.  I see a solid, 10 PPG and 4-5 RPG player in time.

Allen Flanigan is a solid SEC basketball player.  I see his ceiling as a 2nd team all conference type player.  Draft projections showing him as a 1st round DP uhhhhhh....  I don't see it.  MAYBE late 2nd, and that's pushing it.  He also seems to have very little IT factor so far.  Shows no ability to put a team on his back and carry them.  Disappears for spurts when you forget he's on the court much less the team.

The average:

Jaylin Williams.  He's a solid college basketball player.  He doesn't seem to have any IT factor though.  He is kind of bland.  Doesn't do anything really poorly but also nothing extremely well.  I don't think he's as tall as he is listed, either.  I can see the lower level of competition he faced in Nahunta, GA affecting his translation.  That part of GA is not known for quality HS hoops the way that Atlanta metro or even SW GA is.

Chris Moore:   A grinder type who will work hard, do some dirty work but I don't see any form of stardom ahead of him, ever.  A four-year "program player" glue guy ala Horace.

Jamal Johnson:  For what he is, a spot up shooter, he's a fine 4 year type of college basketball player.  His shot seems to be coming around.  He does nothing else though as his defense is not great and he's not very athletic.  

Devin Cambridge:  Definition of streaky and freakishly athletic to an extreme.  Another 4 year player who might improve some but stardom is not there, nor any sort of accolades. Too inconsistent and wild.

Akingbola-  Other than you can't teach size...  He's just a big kid who doesn't play up to his size at all.  I don't see too much.  I know most of these guys are young but I don't see difference maker, ever.  Ever.

The not so good:

Dylan Cardwell:  Other than you can't teach size, he's just a big, goofy kid.  I suspect the year layoff will have irreparably harmed his progression such that all he'll ever be is a 4-5 PPG 4-5 RBG type guy off the bench.  He's not athletic, but not unathletic, really.   Just average.

Javon Franklin:  Actually has some good athletic ability but zero feel for the game.  None.  No sense of purpose at all and plays completely on tilt and not within the context of the game whatsoever.  As a former coach, I can see why he does not play very much.  

Overall:  

This team without Cooper or any other real PG is not very good.  I don't see much in this season, in fact I think a ton of losses are ahead.  This group does not seem to be as mentally tough as the previous Pearl teams, seems to think that defense is optional, and it doesn't shoot very well *overall* other than in spurts.  Ball handling/decisions/taking care of the basketball is comically bad at times.

I wouldn't be surprised if this team has a losing record in the SEC(maybe worse than that...) and the decision to self impose a post season ban was a good one.  I get that this is a young team but the fact that Powell, a 3 borderline 4 star in some ratings has come in and been the best player is not a good sign.

Personally I think it might be a little soon to judge Moore and Cardwell, since they are both just freshmen with less than 10 games of college experience. I expect to see a lot of improvement out of those 2 guys and others by the end of the year and especially by next season. I like how much energy the young guys bring, with more experience I expect the game to slow down for them and be a little more in control of the chaos. 

• WarTiger changed the title to Player by player assessment

Wow, I couldn't disagree more with your take on Cardwell and Johnson. To say that Cardwell is nothing more than an off the bench rebound guy is crazy. He gives this team the most energy out of anyone and the other guys feed off of him. He also makes live very difficult for anyone trying to go into the paint on him. And for Johnson, you don't get a +33 without playing good defense. He moves his feet very well and I think has taken 4-5 charges already this season. I think he's the second most improved player behind Flan.

I'll type up my own assessment on every player later on. Just wanted to speak on Cardwell and Johnson real quick.

3 hours ago, REALTORTiger said:

The great:  

Powell is a stud.  He by his sophomore year will be an All-SEC type player if not All-American.  Wouldn't be surprised if he left after next season.

The good:

JT Thor in time will be a very good player once he understands his body and plays with a little more control and composure.  I do not however ever see him playing up to being a Top 40 national recruit type player.  He's too frail and thin, doesn't shoot as well from the outside as he did in HS, or hasn't so far, and I just don't see stardom.  I see a solid, 10 PPG and 4-5 RPG player in time.

Allen Flanigan is a solid SEC basketball player.  I see his ceiling as a 2nd team all conference type player.  Draft projections showing him as a 1st round DP uhhhhhh....  I don't see it.  MAYBE late 2nd, and that's pushing it.  He also seems to have very little IT factor so far.  Shows no ability to put a team on his back and carry them.  Disappears for spurts when you forget he's on the court much less the team.

The average:

Jaylin Williams.  He's a solid college basketball player.  He doesn't seem to have any IT factor though.  He is kind of bland.  Doesn't do anything really poorly but also nothing extremely well.  I don't think he's as tall as he is listed, either.  I can see the lower level of competition he faced in Nahunta, GA affecting his translation.  That part of GA is not known for quality HS hoops the way that Atlanta metro or even SW GA is.

Chris Moore:   A grinder type who will work hard, do some dirty work but I don't see any form of stardom ahead of him, ever.  A four-year "program player" glue guy ala Horace.

Jamal Johnson:  For what he is, a spot up shooter, he's a fine 4 year type of college basketball player.  His shot seems to be coming around.  He does nothing else though as his defense is not great and he's not very athletic.  

Devin Cambridge:  Definition of streaky and freakishly athletic to an extreme.  Another 4 year player who might improve some but stardom is not there, nor any sort of accolades. Too inconsistent and wild.

Akingbola-  Other than you can't teach size...  He's just a big kid who doesn't play up to his size at all.  I don't see too much.  I know most of these guys are young but I don't see difference maker, ever.  Ever.

The not so good:

Dylan Cardwell:  Other than you can't teach size, he's just a big, goofy kid.  I suspect the year layoff will have irreparably harmed his progression such that all he'll ever be is a 4-5 PPG 4-5 RBG type guy off the bench.  He's not athletic, but not unathletic, really.   Just average.

Javon Franklin:  Actually has some good athletic ability but zero feel for the game.  None.  No sense of purpose at all and plays completely on tilt and not within the context of the game whatsoever.  As a former coach, I can see why he does not play very much.  

Overall:  

This team without Cooper or any other real PG is not very good.  I don't see much in this season, in fact I think a ton of losses are ahead.  This group does not seem to be as mentally tough as the previous Pearl teams, seems to think that defense is optional, and it doesn't shoot very well *overall* other than in spurts.  Ball handling/decisions/taking care of the basketball is comically bad at times.

I wouldn't be surprised if this team has a losing record in the SEC(maybe worse than that...) and the decision to self impose a post season ban was a good one.  I get that this is a young team but the fact that Powell, a 3 borderline 4 star in some ratings has come in and been the best player is not a good sign.

Stay in real estate.

So, I'll preface this by saying I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to basketball. I love watching Auburn play but don't really watch it outside of Auburn, AU players in the NBA, and March Madness. So, take my opinions with a grain of salt and know I'm looking through those O&B glasses.

I'll give a grade for each player based on what I've seen and comparing it to last year, my expectations that I had for them coming in, and how well I think they're playing in their roles.

Justin Powell: A - A lot has been talked about on Powell on this forum, on twitter, and from announcers. He has surpassed my expectations more than anyone on this team, I think the two games he scored 26 points he was playing more of that SG role while still trying to run the offense and in the past several games he's taken a backseat on the scoring so that he can facilitate the offense which can be attested by his 9 assists in the previous game. He still struggles with not turning the ball over but that is to be expected for a freshman playing out of position. Honestly, couldn't be more happy with his play.

Allen Flanigan: A-  - Easily the biggest leader on the court and the person that this team should probably go to when you need a bucket. Has had some really good games and good moments mixed in with several bone-headed decisions. The things that jumps out to me in the negative is trying to be Jared Harper when he dribbles up the court and then pulls a long three before doing anything else. It kills the offense momentum and he has to do a better job when running the point to try to get his teammates involved more rather than dribble for 10 seconds and try to drive. He is, though, the most improved person on this team and I think he'll only get better as the season comes along.

Devan Cambridge: C- - The "lower" grade from me is probably due to my extremely high expectations on him coming into the season. To me, he was the one person I thought would improve the most and take on the Flan leadership role and he just hasn't. He had a great game against Arkansas and I hope it continues through the rest of the season but man does he take way too many outside shots. Before last game I think he was shooting around 20% and his shots weren't good. I wish he would try to go to the basket more often. To me, the most disappointing so far this year but just because I know that he can be a good player.

J.T Thor: B- : Enthusiasm and energy through the roof, solid on defense and can be a nightmare if you try to drive on him. Has gotten a lot better with defending without fouling. Has a nicer shot from 3 than I expected and his a better FT shooter than most people on the team. Wish that he would be more assertive on offense and take the shots when they're there but he's young, so I get it.

Jaylin Williams: C+ - Jaylin is one of the more underrated and overlooked players on the team. His numbers don't really jump out at you until you look back on them. He's scored double digits in the last 4 games and had 2 other games where he got double digits in points. He is a steady defender and presence on the team that just does his job quietly. The biggest negatives this season has been turnovers, fouls, and FT shooting. For a guy who doesn't handle the ball very often he's had 2 games with 5 TO's, he's had 3 games with 4 PFs, and his FT shooting is abysmal at 40%

Bench Players (will try to keep it shorter for them):

Jamal Johnson: B+ Second most improved player. I was VERY hard on him last year to the point that I would keep a track of the games he went without making a shot. Seriously, his shooting was very bad at the end of the year last year and he also didn't stand out on defense. This year, though, if we need a 3 or a guy to take a charge ... It's Johnson. Very good guy to have off the bench.

Dylan Cardwell: B- Easily most enthusiastic, energetic and pumped guy on the team. Very long and lanky which makes it difficult for drivers. Has quick hands and seems to keep his head up on offense to get passes into the paint. Second best rebounder on the team behind Powell and best blocker. Has to work on not getting into foul trouble.

Babtunde Akingbola: C : He had one really good stretch that I can remember in the first game where I thought the lights had come on for him and then he went back into being average. Is a better defender than he is on offense but thought he would be better at rebounding. Hope that the rest of the season he can go back to that one stretch he played excellent in.

Chris Powell: B- : Knows his role and plays it well. Reminds me of Bowers a bit with how good he can rebound and box out. In his very limited FTs is a better shooter than most on the team. He also has very quick hands and that has attributed to some nice steals. Him and Cardwell just give you that energy that Horace Spencer and Malik Dunbar gave you.

Javon Franklin: ? : Needs more minutes to get a better look at him. At times he's shown good skill on the defense side. Is gritty and determined but also tries to play outside of the role he needs to feel. Believe he should be getting more than 3 minutes a game, though.

Very sorry about the long post and I'm sure most of you guys don't care about my assessment but it was fun to look back at the season played. This team is so young and so inexperienced. We're replacing almost every statistic from last years starting lineup. Despite all of that and Sharife Cooper not playing, I think this team has done better than I expected and I believe that if Cooper can get ruled eligible than we can push for a Regular Season SEC title.

I’m gonna pass on any harsh assessments until our young guys get more opportunities to develop and are allowed to not play out of position. 

I will say I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen from Powell so far. Smart and talented.

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I’m gonna pass on any harsh assessments until our young guys get more opportunities to develop and are allowed to not play out of position. 

I will say I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen from Powell so far. Smart and talented.

Most improved players:

1. Flanigan - Has shown the most improved shooting (esp 3 ptrs), and has helped as a backup PG. His weakness is still he charges to much when he drives, and hasn't learned that when he gets pressure going inside he has to pull up and hit that jumper. 

2 Johnson - At first he seemed like he was last year, not good enough from 3 pt land, but recently he really has shown improvement and confidence. He was the only one keeping us in the Ark game for a long time, and Pearl used him at the end instead of Cambridge, to help try to come back.

3. Cambridge - until the Ark game, he was the least improved. I hope this is a start for a more consistent shooter. He helps a lot on rebounding too, and is active and can be a big help.

4. Stretch - seems lost right now. Hasn't seemed to pick up the speed going into SEC play. Hoped he would be disruptive on D, but havent seen it so far.

5. Williams - Need more consistency from him. Turned the ball over too much in Ark game, and seemed lost. We need him inside and on short jump shots, and presence with quickness inside. 

Newcomers:

1. Powell - best all round player. Can rebound, assist, shoot the 3, smart in knowing how to get around pressure. Although he played like a true freshmen in his first SEC game, I expect him to now adjust and adapt. WE need his scoring.

2. Cardwell - I like him more and more. He may eventually take over Stretch inside. He is much more smooth, can give more on offense, and just needs more playing time. He provides a little more body inside than Stretch does.

3. Thor - He shows spurts of his ability to defend with his long arms, and his ability to want to score. His lack of strength is the most pressing issue. He right now plays better outside, but we need more scoring from him.

4. Moore - I like him too. Brings some energy, and aggresiveness. He will be our garbage player that can do a little of everything.

5. Franklin - I call him a newcomer since he really couldn't do anything for us last year coming back from injury. He is active and seems like he could provide a little of that strength and power around the basket. 

6. Cooper - just need him to play. All other aspects of our weaknesses in ball handling, running the floor, providing quickness, improves if he can play. Just remember, he is a freshman and not played any competitive ball for us, so he will make mistakes, just like Powell is doing right now.

On 12/31/2020 at 5:29 PM, REALTORTiger said:

The great:  

The good:

The average:

The not so good:

Overall:  

I would give it 10 facepalms if I could. Laughable that you take your opinion so seriously.

11 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

I would give it 10 facepalms if I could. Laughable that you take your opinion so seriously.

When this team is 4-8 games under .500 this season I'm going to come back to this post and laugh.

8 hours ago, REALTORTiger said:

When this team is 4-8 games under .500 this season I'm going to come back to this post and laugh.

Laugh all you want. We have 14 freshmen and sophomores and no seniors. We lost our 6 best players from last year. This is an incredibly talented team with no experience playing without a real point guard. They are going to lose a lot of games and but will keep getting better and better.

Some of these descriptions are bluntly fair, but they also reek of a complete lack of understanding for how potential works. If you did a thread like this in 2016 about a Bryce, for example, you'd probably only come away with streaky, undersized gunner, that's pretty damn similar to Jamal Johnson last season. Not equating the two, but speaking in such absolutes doesn't make sense. 

You also act as if none of these short comings can be addressed...during their collegiate careers. NBA centers have been adding 3 balls in their last embers of a career. Some guys on this level have done the same (Luke Maye comes to mind). It's far easier to fix holes in your game in basketball than in football, and Bruce's system has multiple products in the past 5 years that shows he can do that for them (not to speak of the outside help that will be more available with covid hopefully winding down by this summer).  

I'm not going to go player by player, but to have the idea you have about J.T Thor, you'd have to have very little knowledge about the guys that came before him. The Giannises, the Thon Makers, the Bol Bols. Dude's like a 18 y/o freshman and he's already physically ahead of all of those dudes at this point. He might not be shooting as well bc...he's in his first 10 games as a D1 player. We also have generated quality looks what....3 out of those 10 games? Not to even mention his shooting isn't the only, or primary, thing that made the kid such an enticing prospect. A guy that has been a promising figure around the rim, that can also do chase down blocks (consistently), and has smart hand usage. One flaw he has? Gambles a bit for the highlight blocks. So does Cardwell...it's called being...YOUNG! 

The Flanagan tirade about him not being able to put a team on his back...I mean cmon now lol. He's not Russell Westbrook, but he's been a gamer in some of our big time matchups and is wearing quite a few hats that he definitely shouldn't be expected to. Cam Reddish wasn't asked to be the damn primary point guard for half a game. Stanley Johnson could hardly dribble. Isaac Okoro spent less minutes than Alabama fans have teeth playing the role as the offensive initiator. There's not something many 2 way forwards that do on this level. Try giving him props for that

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Some of these descriptions are bluntly fair, but they also reek of a complete lack of understanding for how potential works. If you did a thread like this in 2016 about a Bryce, for example, you'd probably only come away with streaky, undersized gunner, that's pretty damn similar to Jamal Johnson last season. Not equating the two, but speaking in such absolutes doesn't make sense. 

You also act as if none of these short comings can be addressed...during their collegiate careers. NBA centers have been adding 3 balls in their last embers of a career. Some guys on this level have done the same (Luke Maye comes to mind). It's far easier to fix holes in your game in basketball than in football, and Bruce's system has multiple products in the past 5 years that shows he can do that for them (not to speak of the outside help that will be more available with covid hopefully winding down by this summer).  

I'm not going to go player by player, but to have the idea you have about J.T Thor, you'd have to have very little knowledge about the guys that came before him. The Giannises, the Thon Makers, the Bol Bols. Dude's like a 18 y/o freshman and he's already physically ahead of all of those dudes at this point. He might not be shooting as well bc...he's in his first 10 games as a D1 player. We also have generated quality looks what....3 out of those 10 games? Not to even mention his shooting isn't the only, or primary, thing that made the kid such an enticing prospect. A guy that has been a promising figure around the rim, that can also do chase down blocks (consistently), and has smart hand usage. One flaw he has? Gambles a bit for the highlight blocks. So does Cardwell...it's called being...YOUNG! 

The Flanagan tirade about him not being able to put a team on his back...I mean cmon now lol. He's not Russell Westbrook, but he's been a gamer in some of our big time matchups and is wearing quite a few hats that he definitely shouldn't be expected to. Cam Reddish wasn't asked to be the damn primary point guard for half a game. Stanley Johnson could hardly dribble. Isaac Okoro spent less minutes than Alabama fans have teeth playing the role as the offensive initiator. There's not something many 2 way forwards that do on this level. Try giving him props for that

If you are addressing the OP about Thor, I agree, as just a 17 year old, he is doing everything he can to just contribute. You can tell his head his swimming, as he is playing against experienced and equal or even better talent.

He will come around. First he needs strength and conditioning which will help him tremendously. 

I thought it was funny Pearl mentioned in post game we have 'No Ass' players. In other words, we need some power and strength which we don't have. We have long armed, athletic type players inside. Cardwell is the closest, and he gets in foul trouble and very raw.

And Most of us who follow this team closely knew that it was going to be rough, definitely early on, with very little experience coming back, and add to it, no point guard, little quickness in backcourt, and we are seeing what happens.

I still expect, especially if Cooper can return to see us win these type games...just don't know when.

the majority of collegiate players aren't going to be pros, and esp not long term ones...I wouldn't let not being a future pro being a huge knock. 

some of the best players on this level are not going to be ish on the next level. A Luka Garza or a Drew Timme, if you will 

Also like I've been telling everybody about how some players really help out the team as a whole even though there isn't a stat you actually see for it, I.e. Harper, Wiley, etc. We need to see how the guys really perform when they have a true PG.

Of course I'm biased but we dropped the ball with Sears. He damn near had a triple double the other night and this is just the beginning as far as his talent.....but you can't win them all, but you need to win the important ones!

Powell has done well but is out of position. Arky game showed two sides some great vision and assists and some bad turnovers. He needs to be a SG. Flanagan most improved player does a little bit of everything would be even better if he could only play SG or SF. Williams does a lot of hard work not exciting but is a great asset. Thor I see potential but until he adds strength and mass will not be an impact player. May have a game or two this year showing potential but key is what his body looks like next year. Johnson has shown signs on both ends of the court gives us depth at SG.  Cardwell big body runs well, plays hard needs to develop a drop step to use with big body actually passes well for a big man. Needs to work on his inside game a drop step and turn around jumper and control his tendency to foul.  Will look good in some games and bad in others. Has potential to be a solid SEC center his best days are down the road.  Without Cooper this team could have a losing SEC record but that will not reflect the talent. Todays game revolves around PG's not having a true PG hurts the team as a whole. Bruce may have his toughest coaching assignment if Cooper is not allowed to play but we will be better for it long run.

Bruce is building to the future and it won't be long. 

3 minutes ago, REALTORTiger said:

Over/under of conference wins at 4.  What do you got?

With Cooper running the point I’ll take the over. 

On 1/3/2021 at 1:43 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm not going to go player by player, ack...

"Isaac Okoro spent less minutes than Alabama fans have teeth playing the role as the offensive initiator". 

There a people bouncing off the heavens 😅

Never, ever judge players in their first or second year with CBP teaching them! End of lesson. Thanks for coming though.

11 hours ago, toddc said:

Never, ever judge players in their first or second year with CBP teaching them! End of lesson. Thanks for coming though.

A good number of the players on roster won't get past a 2nd year with CBP for positive reasons.

On 1/2/2021 at 10:58 AM, REALTORTiger said:

Your problem is you are shortsighted. Of course young players playing on a team without a PG to set them up look bad at times. Today against bama Thor has 1st game where you could see his potential, Flanagan has been playing multiple roles but has shown strength inside a solid but not great 3 point shot and plays tough defense on the ball. Once Powell gets healthy to be able to spot up and Cooper to drive, dish, and score everybody will look better. All of them have defensive issue as do most young players.  When you look at a young player and rate them you have to look at potential not just what you see on that day. Cardwell is a work in progress but by his 3rd year he will be a very effective 5 man once they add a drop step and turn around jumper to his game. Add 20 pounds of muscle to Thor and watch out. 

I don't care if this team is 4-8 games under .500 this year that still won't reflect the players potential. I want to see the improvement continue that I saw today when we had a true PG.  Todays game is built around PG's both as scorers and facilitators without a PG to lead the offense it is very difficult for other players to shine. 

As a comparison, I’d love to see a stone cold blunt assessment of the Final Four squad taken 2 years prior, after the same number of games as this one. 2016-17 started 1-4 in SEC play (finished 7-11). And that team had at least 1 legitimate PG the entire season. 8 players from that squad were instrumental in the championship seasons that followed the next 2 years. To some, the numbers are the numbers. You’re a winner or a loser and that’s that. Chemistry is unimportant. Context is nonexistent. Freshmen and sophomores are expected to excel immediately, regardless of whether their PG was unexpectedly yanked right before game 1 or not. 

Archived